CTF-Erazor

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
SkYlInE
Average

CTF-Erazor

Post by SkYlInE »

Hello people,

is someone able to tell me how i can fix some graphic problems on this map?

the windows are making me crazy, they seem to vanish and appear.

and the lower mid section has a big problem.

Any help would be good.

Thank you
Attachments
Shot00481.jpg
Shot00490.jpg
Shot00500.jpg
Shot00510.jpg
Shot00470.jpg
CTF-Erazor.unr
(2.03 MiB) Downloaded 12 times
Aspide
Skilled

Re: CTF-Erazor

Post by Aspide »

HOM, this means that the problem is the brushes, I will try to fix it if I can. Also the downloadable file doesn't have Mayhem.umx , be careful next time :tu:

Edit: Success, the problem was the zone portals in the windows. Never put two zoneportals in close proximity, especially inside another brush. I removed the zoneportals and use the invisible brushes instead for the windows. I also took the time to fix some texture problem in the third floor and I also separated the map in three zones.

Now the only problem is that if you rebuild geometry the windows will become invisible. To fix this you have to uncheck the Invisible box in Surface properties AFTER rebuilding.
Attachments
CTF-Erazor.unr
(1.99 MiB) Downloaded 16 times
Somewhere in Nevada...
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

And try to rename fixed versions next time ...I know a certain file collector who gets every version and if those versions are all called the same will there be a mismatches on server and clients...
At least with unpatched servers.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Now this is what we call a CTF map...
With a bit of polishing it will be way too nice.

Note:
Those glasses need texture set as not invisible each time because of brush properties. Polyflag set to 36 will leave them visible after any rebuild, several surfaces are tempted to flicker but not that bad. D3D is not very loving this environment but in D3D9 it's just fine.

Names: Let's say in my stage it will be CTF-Erazor_rS632.unr but temporary so far. I think it needs a few more translocator routes.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Argh! Coret textures! RUUUN!!
jk :mrgreen:

Yea I'm not a fan of this texture set, but you made it look decent on this one. Pretty fun!
Random thoughts of the map:
- Why is there a hole in the middle of the map? Feels weird it's there, have to transloc or hammer jump out.
- Interesting layout, wonder how well this map would work for Jailbreak or even Scavenger Hunt (always trying to find an excuse to have more maps for those gametypes :P)
- Quite narrow bridges in some places, feel like making them wider wouldn't hurt?
SkYlInE
Average

Post by SkYlInE »

Aspide wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:26 am HOM, this means that the problem is the brushes, I will try to fix it if I can. Also the downloadable file doesn't have Mayhem.umx , be careful next time :tu:

Edit: Success, the problem was the zone portals in the windows. Never put two zoneportals in close proximity, especially inside another brush. I removed the zoneportals and use the invisible brushes instead for the windows. I also took the time to fix some texture problem in the third floor and I also separated the map in three zones.

Now the only problem is that if you rebuild geometry the windows will become invisible. To fix this you have to uncheck the Invisible box in Surface properties AFTER rebuilding.
Thank you, im gonna have a look as soon as i can :tu: really appreciate your work at it. I knew i forgot to add a file :loool:
sektor2111 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:41 pm Now this is what we call a CTF map...
With a bit of polishing it will be way too nice.

Note:
Those glasses need texture set as not invisible each time because of brush properties. Polyflag set to 36 will leave them visible after any rebuild, several surfaces are tempted to flicker but not that bad. D3D is not very loving this environment but in D3D9 it's just fine.

Names: Let's say in my stage it will be CTF-Erazor_rS632.unr but temporary so far. I think it needs a few more translocator routes.
How do you come to that mapname, im curious.

Where do you expect more translocator spots?
UnrealGGecko wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:00 pm Argh! Coret textures! RUUUN!!

Yea I'm not a fan of this texture set, but you made it look decent on this one. Pretty fun!
Random thoughts of the map:
- Why is there a hole in the middle of the map? Feels weird it's there, have to transloc or hammer jump out.
- Interesting layout, wonder how well this map would work for Jailbreak or even Scavenger Hunt (always trying to find an excuse to have more maps for those gametypes :P)
- Quite narrow bridges in some places, feel like making them wider wouldn't hurt?
I think the same about the coret textures but i thought i should have created at least one map with it :loool:

To be honest there was no Glass at the beginning so you could jump down the hole and then i did the lower mid thing :noidea of course i still can change this back.

If you want to create a Jailbreak Version of this feel free, i have no clue how to do it. If you do so im interested in having it as i like this mod too :tu:

I think you mean the bridge in the middle? Had it wider at the beginning but i didnt liked it, but i can change that too.

Thank you for the reviews!
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

SkYlInE wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:10 pm
I think the same about the coret textures but i thought i should have created at least one map with it :loool:
hahaha, same mentality here, I'd like to make a map for near every available texture pack, think I might have an idea with coret textures, but it's gonna take me a loooong time to even get to there :ironic:
SkYlInE wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:10 pm If you want to create a Jailbreak Version of this feel free, i have no clue how to do it. If you do so im interested in having it as i like this mod too :tu:
Yea would need to figure out as well, best to have a look at how the other JB maps have done it I guess. Would need some new stuff in though (jails, maybe an execution, the 1v1 arena). I'd love to get more JB maps but am ok if it doesn't happen. Don't think I'll have a go for this one.
https://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Ma ... _Jailbreak
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

SkYlInE wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:10 pm How do you come to that mapname, im curious.
Coming to said name temporary based on number of Paths/reachSpecs used... Initially map had 2009 specs, but it's flawless with only 632 specs (MapTitle_rS632) - temporary because...
SkYlInE wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:10 pm Where do you expect more translocator spots?
By example I see Bots more efficiently ambushing a carrier around these spots:
TLoc_Spots.PNG
And then because of newer paths, number of reachSpecs went to 664 (it was even 666 lol). I used UGold227 for some cleanup tasks as long as in UT we don't have too much cleanup capabilities, even 469 is leaving junk bytes in maps (like empty reachSpecs and useless chained data).
SkYlInE
Average

Post by SkYlInE »

sektor2111 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:27 am
SkYlInE wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:10 pm How do you come to that mapname, im curious.
Coming to said name temporary based on number of Paths/reachSpecs used... Initially map had 2009 specs, but it's flawless with only 632 specs (MapTitle_rS632) - temporary because...
SkYlInE wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:10 pm Where do you expect more translocator spots?
By example I see Bots more efficiently ambushing a carrier around these spots:

And then because of newer paths, number of reachSpecs went to 664 (it was even 666 lol). I used UGold227 for some cleanup tasks as long as in UT we don't have too much cleanup capabilities, even 469 is leaving junk bytes in maps (like empty reachSpecs and useless chained data).
I added those trans spots, it is an enrichment for the gameplay thank you for that.

i also changed the map name :loool:

the glass in the hole is removed so you can jump down, also made the bridge a bit wider.

this time the music file is included
Attachments
CTF-Erazor_rs632.rar
(1.1 MiB) Downloaded 17 times
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I already had the music, love Mayhem.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
SkYlInE
Average

Post by SkYlInE »

EvilGrins wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:48 pm I already had the music, love Mayhem.
True met it first on Monsterhunt, never heard it in CTF tho.
UnrealGGecko wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:40 pm
SkYlInE wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:10 pm
hahaha, same mentality here, I'd like to make a map for near every available texture pack, think I might have an idea with coret textures, but it's gonna take me a loooong time to even get to there :ironic:
SkYlInE wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:10 pm If you want to create a Jailbreak Version of this feel free, i have no clue how to do it. If you do so im interested in having it as i like this mod too :tu:
Yea would need to figure out as well, best to have a look at how the other JB maps have done it I guess. Would need some new stuff in though (jails, maybe an execution, the 1v1 arena). I'd love to get more JB maps but am ok if it doesn't happen. Don't think I'll have a go for this one.
https://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Ma ... _Jailbreak
Atm i really try to do a Jailbreak Version. Arena is already finished and i thought about the outside area using as the jail :tu:
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Nice map - good layout and good flow - not sure about the textures though (sorry).

You may wish to note the following reported by sektor's MapGarbage tool:
Spoiler
{not sure if the selectionweights should be as different as they are}
CTFReport: AlternatePath0 has selectionweight = 4.500000 and Team = 1
CTFReport: AlternatePath1 has selectionweight = 4.500000 and Team = 1
CTFReport: AlternatePath2 has selectionweight = 4.200000 and Team = 0
CTFReport: AlternatePath3 has selectionweight = 4.200000 and Team = 0
CTFReport: AlternatePath4 has selectionweight = 3.900000 and Team = 1
CTFReport: AlternatePath5 has selectionweight = 3.500000 and Team = 0

The DefensePoints are not balanced per team
DefenseChecks: Map has 3 DefensePoint Actors for team 0.
DefenseChecks: Map has 1 DefensePoint Actors for team 1.
On the map name - your version of the map has 2078 reachspecs so not sure why you've adopted sektor's naming convention that he uses for his edited versions of maps? It can cause confusion to those people who recognise his convention and thus assume this is his version. Also in this case it's not accurate as there are more than 632 reachSpecs.

There are some quite noticeable flickering floor textures (map tested in 436 with OpenGL - what's shown beloew may appear differently in other versions and/or with other renderers)

in the Red area - the whole area flickers from time to time when viewed from different angles
Shotred.jpg
in the Blue area - same as above - considerable, though brief, flicker over the whole floor
Shotblue.jpg
Note that part of the wall of the central area in the blue base disappears when seen as one approaches from the side corridors.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

It's why I keep initial fixed stage because:
- DefensePoint0 must be BLUE - 1 and not RED - 0;
- Map has more specs than are needed and other bytes - I prefer a clean one - this is having registered 2078 reachspecs and their total number is 2124, so to speak it has junk paths;
- Version which I played 40-50 times has a bit of flickering on floors here and there but this supposed 632 does more flickering which is disturbing.

I think these are some bugs at merging polys creating additional polygons and so multiple surfaces in the same plane, render is trying to show both surfaces and causing this flickering. Merging polygons probably must be tested first with a build without saving a final file for figuring if surfaces won't get screwed up. If they are going damaged perhaps brush should be replaced with another good copy or tinkering vertexes a bit for getting rid of the bad plane having multiple surfaces. Either way I think some polygons/triangles are cross-linked/interleaved generating multiple surfaces in the same plane.

But these are only my two cents, some version which I played a lot yesterday looks more normal - perhaps suitable for public game-play, I'll think about it...
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Man , you guys. I guess I should look. BSP holes etc etc.
Binary Space Partitioning
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

SkYlInE wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:19 pm
EvilGrins wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:48 pm I already had the music, love Mayhem.
True met it first on Monsterhunt, never heard it in CTF tho.
So you have never player AlphaW00t? :shock: https://sites.google.com/site/fragnbrag ... alpha-woot
BTW, what is FNB up to these days? 🤔