Fps wont increase ?

Discussions about UT99
Peamole
Average
Personal rank: Dinghy-O-Death Cap'n

Re: Fps wont increase ?

Post by Peamole »

My old monitor tops off at 60Hz, my Min Desired Framerate was at 20, now it's set to 30. Is this the setting that you are all talking about? Is it a good idea to set it to 60?
When Min Desired Framerate is at 20, does that mean that it can still get a maximum of 60? I can't change 60 Hz in Advanced Display Settings.
I know that a candle's flame and your eyes have an infinite "framerate;" it's what you're able perceive with your brain that matters.
UT Sniper (SJA94)
Inhuman
Personal rank: Retard

Post by UT Sniper (SJA94) »

From what I remember min desired fps makes the game reduce some visual settings if your fps falls below that point.

FPS and HZ are different things, fps is frames per second of a game or video. and hz is the refresh rate of a monitor aka how many times your monitor changes the image.
Peamole
Average
Personal rank: Dinghy-O-Death Cap'n

Post by Peamole »

Thanks for clarifying what "min desired framerate" is, UT Sniper (SJA94).
Technically speaking, yes. Hertz is cps or cycles per second. Is that not similar to fps? The Hz of a monitor is the rate at which the pixels light up through the entire screen once.
If you haven't, go into a dark room for a while and flash the light on once, then look around the room. What do you see?
Spoiler
What you see moves with your eyes as it fades away.
Take out a digital camera, turn the flash off, aim it in the general direction of a monitor or TV screen, quickly rotate it diagonally while taking a picture. Now what?
Spoiler
Multiple copies of the screen appear, seen in the corners.
The monitor flashes the pixels, part-by-part, one-by-one, briefly and your eyes experience so much incoming light that you can't really see the screen flashing most of the time.
I'll go check out that youtube video in this thread now.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

sektor2111 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:26 pm
UT Sniper (SJA94) wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:22 pm You talk about movies being 25fps, you do not interact with a movie. :facepalm:
Yes, on a screen can be a movie, for real environment story is changed. Definitely on 60 HZ higher FPS are pointless, screen doesn't show more, agree here, it's logic.
I don't know about UT but in many games, having more than 60 fps is extremely beneficial because visuals are not the only thing being computed at each frame. Inputs or physics might be processed at this frequency, which makes mouse movements smoother or changes the in-game movements. Case in point : Quake's jump height and airspeed being noticeably different depending on the rendering speed with important thresholds at 144, 300, etc.
You must construct additional pylons.
Hitman
Adept

Post by Hitman »

Ok finely figured it out, I had to shift the framerate under the section [WinDrv.WindowsClient] and also [XDrv.XClient] to get it to work, so now its 240 in idle and pendle up/down if I make fast moves as it should with the G-Sync and look very smooth.
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

UT Sniper (SJA94) wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:56 pm [...] or they think playing at 200fps on 60hz is really 200fps
It does matter still, for games that are very sensitive to responsivity latency. Rhythm games, racing games and the like come to mind. Faster framerate also means smaller timesteps (more ticks per second = less seconds per ticks), which can be better as, for instance, it is more physically accurate.

It is 200 frames per second. It doesn't mean that the screen is updated 200 times.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
UT Sniper (SJA94)
Inhuman
Personal rank: Retard

Post by UT Sniper (SJA94) »

I know I pretty much said that in a post in this topic.