MH-INF-HollywoodHolocaust

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Buggie
Godlike

MH-INF-HollywoodHolocaust

Post by Buggie »

Conversion for monsterhunt this map:
https://unrealarchive.org/maps/unreal-t ... 03f98.html
Shot00000.png
Shot00001.png
Shot00002.png
Shot00003.png
Shot00004.png
Shot00005.png
Shot00007.png
Shot00008.png
Shot00014.png
MH-inf-hollywoodholocaustV3.zip
(3.08 MiB) Downloaded 22 times
Last edited by Buggie on Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Buggie
Godlike

Re: MH-INF-HollywoodHolocaust

Post by Buggie »

Gameplay on original map in Duke Nukem 3D:
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

Frgn awesome, thanks for developing and sharing!
Lots of memories on here!

My suggestion would be less monsters.
It's kind of overloaded now to my feel.
I mean you kind of need an plethora on weapons, or on players to get passed the first part.
*playing with classic weapons.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

esnesi wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:10 am Frgn awesome, thanks for developing and sharing!
Lots of memories on here!

My suggestion would be less monsters.
It's kind of overloaded now to my feel.
I mean you kind of need an plethora on weapons, or on players to get passed the first part.
*playing with classic weapons.
I did not try the map yet, doing balance for MH is difficult.
So I tried to figure out from a very basic point of view that if each weapon had 1 bullet and each enemy had 1 or 2 or 4 or 10 health, the match would be just as hard if you scaled the ammo and health(s) down.
So if you set an enemy health, Boss, like 20,000, then all you do is increase the damage from redeemers until it exactly matches the ratio to having 1 health or one bullet.
BUT
Now toss in 5 players, the 1 bullet idea would be so quick or so fast with more players.
Then having 10 players with enemies set to a higher health, the map takes for ever as one player OR 10, while everyone shoots the same thing(s).

So the situation is, you can't make a good map for 1 player as opposed to 10 players.

leaving the dilemma of making a map, especially for MH that is Not, too hard, too easy, too long or end too fast,
( also too much enemy spawn spam used to compensate for play time, more or less.)
:)
Binary Space Partitioning
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

I end map in local solo without any cheats in usual MH with classic weapons (no ammo or hp regen or any kind of gifts, just pure play on map) in near 25 minutes. No deaths. Also no redemeer use.
Hard place only one - start point, because a lot snipers near. So in next beta will be less count of them. Only one per each side.

As mentioned above map must playable for a lot players. Typical MH load allow 4-10 players. So monsters can not be at low count. Or players will be tired run on empty map.
It is MH not MapRun.

But, in general, you can not make map good for 1 player run-n-shoot and for 10 players simultaneously.
But you can make overflow with monsters. 10 Players can play as run-n-shoot, 1 player can play carefully. Win-win.

Layout of this map not suits for typical "Travel from A to B" approach.
So here implemented way "Kill em all while explore level for unlock end".
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Let the bots have a go at it first, and my initial thought was it needs better bot-pathing... but not so much. Turns out the massive amount of monsters, and possibly the limited number of available weapons, has the bots less than willing to jump into the shooting gallery of so many monsters in the first area.

Once that was cleared out, turns out the pathing is just fine.

I might suggest opting for a different set of of initial monsters. Maybe less powerful ones. Recently went through some old stuff, particular monsters of a wide variety, edited onto a test map, that Medor released way back when. Lots of them, like that Snakeman there, only has about 10 health... better for an opening area, I think.
Attachments
Shot0053.png
Shot0052.png
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Ceiling around MedBox5 does a HOM effect - that surface is not coplanar.
CeilingHWHolocaust.PNG
A.I. stuff
- certain paths can be manually demanded as long as gravity looks friendly with various jumps - map has jumpy potential;
- by getting rid of useless nodes and keeping a single line with paths, several HuntNodes might block routes when Bots are having enemies and they won't rush map if are added some WayPoints;
- finishing map by Bots can be excluded with false paths making them to fail in ending map but roaming around (you can even kick them down from bridge if is not destroyed).

However - Interesting Episode.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Beta2: viewtopic.php?p=130867#p130867

- Fix nocoplanar surfaces.
- Reduce snipers at start.
- Add some monsters.
- Add sounds from original game in different places.
- Add enforcer at start.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Buggie wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:56 pm - Reduce snipers at start.
Yep... it's not like those snipers are a big problem in servers loading players more or less randomly with weaponry. Those complains about those snipers are not that valid - you have sniper-rifle too. In MonsterHunt servers, 8 players might need some challenge not just one or two monsters dying in 2 seconds.

If it's about adding Map for On-Line gaming, all snipers from beta1 + a few more backups are going to be placed back, some tuning at paths - monster routes, waypoints, blockedPath actors or paths toggling actors should be suffice for a nice MH session. But this is a separate homework for me another time, I have something else on the table.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Resuming a bit certain quirks:
- Brush in Spawn-Base causes a levitation around with some invisible floor - that brush is borked but I managed to fix it - doesn't matter rotation that much as it matters what polys and location of said Brush (turned in semisolid) and rebuild using 10 - 60 sliders;
- By any matter in UT a TriggerToggle mover set bTriggerOnceOnly is a myth - already described in forum by Barbie - these movers if are re-triggered will return back in spot causing that glass nearby mercenaries to be regenerated.

A.I. support.
Indeed it is not about moving from point A to Point B, but Pawns can move at Points A, B, C, D and so on, UNLOCKING weapons if are not participating too much at cleaning area - still under discussions depending on Game Controller used. By using a Waypoint inactive in certain spot (deactivated by guard for any MH version) Bots will go there without ending map or attempting to end map. My Bots are helping here even if snipers are slaughtering them. There is another way to leave base without taking damage during fall using an alternate route and unlocking RocketLauncher as first objective, then visiting Sliths for Minigun because that PathNode bugger will go back on the ground with Normal paths. This jump capability added in map makes certain hand made paths successfully used.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

v3

- update unlockers.
- message when unlock weapon.
- increase height of blown wall in cinema.
- fix a lot problems.
- better paths.
- reduce huge slow trigger.
- fix open doors.
- update embed codebase.

Updated at first post: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14766