MH-AMC-2040

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Buggie
Godlike

MH-AMC-2040

Post by Buggie »

Conversion for monsterhunt this map:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13087
MH-AMC-2040_small.jpg
BIG image
MH-AMC-2040.jpg
Required Bonus Pack #4 with SGTech1.utx
MH-AMC-2040v6.7z
(3.33 MiB) Downloaded 18 times
Last edited by Buggie on Thu May 12, 2022 3:40 pm, edited 5 times in total.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: MH-AMC-2040

Post by EvilGrins »

Overall, looks good. It was total warfare as I don't use a mutator to stop monsters from fighting.

Didn't finish, as I noticed a problem I wanted to report.

The tower that has the LavaSlith in it, on the 2nd level there's a hole in the floor... not that you can see it because i think the floor was supposed to be solid.

I fell through and that part I'm aiming at is the solid ceiling I came from.
Attachments
Shot0022.png
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

On map a lot of semi-solid. In tower exists few glitches.

Possible author do this for fix some HOM effects.

Simple turn semi-solid to solid produce a lot weird glitches. So current situation is better. I will try fix this hole if find it.
Last time I fall into it, but after that fail find it again.

Automatically merged

Well. I find it. But fail to fix. If I turn closest semisolid to solid, then hole move. Turn next. Hole or move or stay. Or start glitchy half of tower.

Automatically merged

Make workaround: add special actor which block players fall into hole. So it is look like fixed. If you not walk here.

Beta 3 uploaded into first post.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Is it possible some of the areas on the original map were for seeing but not playing in?
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

A lot of areas is only for visual. But tower is playable area.
Hitman
Adept

Post by Hitman »

Very nice maps, I added it to my servers :gj:
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Buggie wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:15 am tower is playable area.
Not all of it or I wouldn't have fallen through the floor.
Porch Viking
Average

Post by Porch Viking »

Just popping in to say, in making the original DM version of this map, that platform was constantly giving me trouble. I have it fixed on my most recent version, but I'm having a hard time finding where I actually posted that. I thought for sure it was in the final map pack. I might have forgotten to upload the "final cleaned up" version after the contest, since I remember being under a lot of stress around the time of that.

On a side note, what's the best place to download Monster Hunt from these days?
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

As I see, near half of map turned into semi-sold on fight with bugs.
scr_1629691236.png
scr_1629691288.png
Maybe I am wrong, but it is look bad.

If I try turn all solid all level goes to hell: missing walls, and/or holes, and/or HOMs. :loool:
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

Semisolids are used to reduce cuts and nodes. Looks like the author was smart in including those as to reduce the likelyhood of HOM effects after a render. Don't change that unless you are absolutely positive that the brush in question produces an error. Regarding that particular brush in the screenshot, get its brush ID, check that it doesn't collide with any other geometry and cuts. Before anything else, try if setting to last has any effects on it (eg the cuts change and the geometry is still saved), if not, try setting the brush to solid.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

The order of semi-solids doesn't matter at all: they are always built at the end after all other types of BSP.

@Buggie: how are you building the BSP in the editor: are you using the "Build BSP" button, or "Build All"?
If you're using "Build BSP", don't use that, especially in a map with so many semis, since that button triggers a quick and dirty build of the BSP, whereas "Build All" triggers a slower but optimized (and generally error-free) BSP tree.

As a last resort, if you want to, I can take a look at the map to check what exactly is wrong.

Semis touching stuff causing issues is more of a myth than anything else (mappers keep treating semis like if it was dark magic), since in those cases the problem more often than not lies elsewhere in the map, and not in the semi-solid (the semi having any sort of issues is often a symptom of a bigger BSP problem, and not the problem itself, they only receive BSP cuts after all, they don't influence the BSP tree upwards).
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Porch Viking wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:09 amOn a side note, what's the best place to download Monster Hunt from these days?
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14779#p131057
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Feralidragon wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:23 pm The order of semi-solids doesn't matter at all: they are always built at the end after all other types of BSP.

@Buggie: how are you building the BSP in the editor: are you using the "Build BSP" button, or "Build All"?
If you're using "Build BSP", don't use that, especially in a map with so many semis, since that button triggers a quick and dirty build of the BSP, whereas "Build All" triggers a slower but optimized (and generally error-free) BSP tree.

As a last resort, if you want to, I can take a look at the map to check what exactly is wrong.

Semis touching stuff causing issues is more of a myth than anything else (mappers keep treating semis like if it was dark magic), since in those cases the problem more often than not lies elsewhere in the map, and not in the semi-solid (the semi having any sort of issues is often a symptom of a bigger BSP problem, and not the problem itself, they only receive BSP cuts after all, they don't influence the BSP tree upwards).
Build BSP - just build BSP. Also it do it very simple.
Build All - Call Build BSP, after that Optimize BSP, Lighting, patching and so on. All options depends from dialog of Build all settings.
Nether Build All or Build BSP is error free.
Build BSP sometimes produce errors which Optimize fix. And vice versa.

But if simple build BSP get errors, better even not try "fix" it with "optimize BSP". This is optimization, not fix.
Try optimized bad built BSP can fix BSP, of course, but it doesn't mean really fix for it.

Also if you work on portals simple build is only one option if optimize renumerate zone numbers and on map used portals.
On this map used portals, but it is hidden, so nobody care about HOMs on it.

Map built with optimization.

Semi-solid brush always draw fully. So if they float in air it is good choice,
If semi-solid intersect with solid - you in trouble. There a lot such cases,
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

These maps really need pawns that don't attack each other.
This map needs some blocking behind buildings. A Warlord was way back in that crevice behind the 3 Titans that are on the roof.

See if this all works.
I didn't mess with actors or add or remove anything.
Nope, I had to fix another thing, was a death spot in the corner by the parking garage in the corner of the whole map, the back corner by skaarj. I put in 2 movers and got rid of those so-called semi solids.

Thing about those brushes is they permanently dent a subtract (if intersected), but they seem to cause a collision problem , far away, or close to the problem brushes.

Still messing with it, seems better.
Last edited by Red_Fist on Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Binary Space Partitioning