Reupload of my maps

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Revelation
Average
Personal rank: UEngine violator

Reupload of my maps

Post by Revelation »

Hey guys!

So, since Swanky recently pointed out to me how hard it can be to find reliable download sources for older maps these days, I decided to finally register at ModDB and upload my maps, in hopes they will remain online as long as possible. Even though I pretty much retired from mapping a decade ago (with two comebacks, admittedly), I still feel pretty nostalgic about my work, and wouldn't want it to get lost in the depths of the internet with UT map archives shutting down all over the place.

So there you go, all the maps I've done since early 2004 can now be found here: https://www.moddb.com/members/revelation1984/addons

Before anyone asks, I started mapping way earlier than in 2004, in fact I basically started like a week after Unreal's release in 1998. However I decided to leave out a bunch of maps I did prior to 2004 for a simple reason: They suck! :mrgreen:
Seriously, I don't feel nostalgic about those at all any more, and I can't imagine anyone else would do either. So basically, I shared what I'm still comfortable sharing - not saying, that all of these maps are masterpieces, most of them are certainly not.
But if I only shared the maps I REALLY do like up until this day, it would be a pretty manageable collection, constisting of Chronoshift, Angeldust and Gluon, which most of you already know anyway. :tongue:

Here's some random screenshots, everthing else can be found over at ModDB:
Spoiler

So enjoy my collection, maybe you find some maps you like and didn't know already. Feel free to comment on anything. ;)

With that said, best regards to anyone still active in the good old UT mapping community!
Cheers!
TankBeef
Masterful

Re: Reupload of my maps

Post by TankBeef »

:rock: Awesome!!! Revelation, I think I play your maps more often than the stock maps, not kidding. Valkyrie, Gluon, Pollux, I love them!!! Great contribution to the UT community, even if you don't map anymore. :D
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

Stellar collection. Don't think I knew Ferrea or Pollux from before. And some pretty interesting tech wizardry in some of the maps, too. I wonder if stuff like Chronoshift still breaks the engine with the newer patches and renderers. :D
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

Swanky wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:18 pm Stellar collection. Don't think I knew Ferrea or Pollux from before. And some pretty interesting tech wizardry in some of the maps, too. I wonder if stuff like Chronoshift still breaks the engine with the newer patches and renderers. :D
Swanky, try Pollux, you may like it, it is one of my favorites, though it is best for 1-on-1. :tu:
Oh, and Chronoshift I can run pretty well without much trouble. But I do have the 469b. :lol2:
Neon_Knight
Adept

Post by Neon_Knight »

Hi! Thank you for uploading your maps! I look forward to play them once I have some time. Have you uploaded them to the Unreal Archive too?
OldUnreal U1v227/UTv469 Localization Project coordinator/spanish language maintainer - Unreal Wiki
ProTip 1: anybody using the phrase "I'm a True Fan and You're Not!" is an obnoxious, self-centered, egotistical, elitist, narcissist douchebag.
ProTip 2: anybody who uses the "Royal We" when making a demand wants to pass their own opinion as everyone else's.
ProTip 3: Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
ProTip 4: If the Duke Nukem Forever fiasco wasn't enough of a lesson, perfectionism leads to nothing positive. Don't be afraid of releasing a buggy product. Even the most polished product has its flaws.
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

Neon_Knight wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:52 pm Hi! Thank you for uploading your maps! I look forward to play them once I have some time. Have you uploaded them to the Unreal Archive too?
Ok, don't know what others think, and correct me if wrong, but...I would probably recommend whenever possible, download Revelation and Swanky maps from moddb, to make sure you have the most recent version. Unreal Archive, one of the few great UT resources we have today, but the maps available are not always the latest ones. Or...they have many versiones and duplicates of the same map, and it is not always obvious which ones the author intended to be "final" or "official". But I may be speculating, you tell me.
Ubir4
Adept

Post by Ubir4 »

Thanks for the upload. beautiful maps.
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

TankBeef wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:12 pm
Neon_Knight wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:52 pm Hi! Thank you for uploading your maps! I look forward to play them once I have some time. Have you uploaded them to the Unreal Archive too?
Ok, don't know what others think, and correct me if wrong, but...I would probably recommend whenever possible, download Revelation and Swanky maps from moddb, to make sure you have the most recent version. Unreal Archive, one of the few great UT resources we have today, but the maps available are not always the latest ones. Or...they have many versiones and duplicates of the same map, and it is not always obvious which ones the author intended to be "final" or "official". But I may be speculating, you tell me.
As far as I know both Rev and I never officially uploaded to Unreal Archive. That in turn means we do not update our maps there as well. While possibly accepted by him there, I personally only update my maps on moddb and leave them to do their thing.
Neon_Knight
Adept

Post by Neon_Knight »

You should upload them there too IMHO. It's the community's preservation project, the upload process just requires you to upload the file.
OldUnreal U1v227/UTv469 Localization Project coordinator/spanish language maintainer - Unreal Wiki
ProTip 1: anybody using the phrase "I'm a True Fan and You're Not!" is an obnoxious, self-centered, egotistical, elitist, narcissist douchebag.
ProTip 2: anybody who uses the "Royal We" when making a demand wants to pass their own opinion as everyone else's.
ProTip 3: Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
ProTip 4: If the Duke Nukem Forever fiasco wasn't enough of a lesson, perfectionism leads to nothing positive. Don't be afraid of releasing a buggy product. Even the most polished product has its flaws.
Revelation
Average
Personal rank: UEngine violator

Post by Revelation »

The thing about Unreal Archive is... I never uploaded anything there, but all my stuff is there anyway. Most of it twice. Including Chronoshift, which I never released independently from the FoT5 pack until 2 days ago. Whoever uploaded it there didn't even bother to include the Readme into the ZIP file.
In my books, this is about as much "preservation" as uploading a pirated movie.

And besides that, I had my maps uploaded to unrealed.de, Nalicity, Planetunreal, BeyondUnreal, UnrealPlayground and God knows what other UT database site I'm forgetting right now. None of them exist anymore, which is the entire reason why I chose to reupload them to ModDB, and not to some other UT site that will exist exactly as long as the owner is willing to pay the checks. ;)
Last edited by Revelation on Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neon_Knight
Adept

Post by Neon_Knight »

Revelation wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:42 pm The thing about Unreal Archive is... I never uploaded anything there, but all my stuff is there anyway. Most of it twice. Including Chronoshift, which I never released independently from the FoT5 pack until 2 days ago. Whoever uploaded it there didn't even bother to include the Readme into the ZIP file.
In my books, this is about as much "preservation" as uploading a pirated movie.
In that case you should contact Shrimp, who's here and in charge of UA, and tell him about your worries. Or open an issue on http://github.com/unreal-archive/unreal-archive-data.
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

Neon_Knight wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:55 pm In that case you should contact Shrimp
I agree, but the issue cannot be ignored. This is not the only time, unfortunately, that I hear of unfinished, altered and beta versions of maps without autorization on the archive. Crippled map packs. Missing files like readmes and such. We need the archive, but we also have to respect the work and the will of the authors. At least this Is what I think.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I am one that says, the more the merrier, upload everything to that archive, first map ? lol, on up !

Sort of like an autobiography-anthology to "preserve" as you say, your mapping history, then when The Planet of the Apes era arrives, they will have your box maps to learn from. :mrgreen:

No really, if it was me I would probably use a spattering of the maps I did early on.

Actually, have Shrimp delete that other crap, and then upload a file of your maps and make sure it all goes under your author name. At least that way you can have legit file(s)......out there,
Last edited by Red_Fist on Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Binary Space Partitioning
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

Thanks. Very solid work!
Maybe when you get older you will appreciate those early works more, considering how you were able to build such great maps later. I thought my first map was great, but I quickly found out that it wasn't once I uploaded it.But it inspired me to get better and so I have a fondness for all my works ...even the unfinished projects, no matter how bad they were, they are part of the process of improving the craft.

Anyway, thanks again. Good to have all the read me files.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

well said TexasGttar!

Cheers Revelation - You always held yourself to a pretty high standard. Your FoT maps underscore that aspect.

Way back in the early 2000's I went through an ASSAULT phase - collecting all the AS maps/packs I could find. I always liked urban themed maps so spent some time in "AS-UrbanWar" which featured a rather strange looking high-poly truck. You could actually go in the back of the truck for a minigun pickup. Anyways, I thought AS-PhoenixMoon was awesome work, which followed a few years later. The ultimate assault map made for UT99 has to be FoT-Chronoshift, hands down.
And that's just the Assault gametype.

Great legacy right there...
Cheers
FnB
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***