Grid/Drag Grid Problems

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Peamole
Average
Personal rank: Dinghy-O-Death Cap'n

Grid/Drag Grid Problems

Post by Peamole »

I'm having some serious problems with one map in UEd 2.0. I messed around with the buttons on the bottom; now there are many problems that I don't know anything about. When I try to select a brush's vertex then move the brush it either moves twice as much as the Top Viewport's grid or it doesn't move with the damn pivot. This is driving me nuts! :mad2:
On top of all that, the buttons at the bottom don't change color when I click on them, they don't indicate any change!
Somebody please help!
Aspide
Skilled

Re: Grid/Drag Grid Problems

Post by Aspide »

This happens in one map specifically, or all the time?

Whenever I encounter problems with moving brushes I always deactivate vertex snap at the bottom, but the colors not changing when you press the buttons at the bottom...., I have never encountered that problem before. I'll investigate
Somewhere in Nevada...
Peamole
Average

Post by Peamole »

Aspide wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:32 pm This happens in one map specifically, or all the time?
This happens in one map that I'm working on. It started happening after I copied some subtractive, solid and semi-solid brushes from another one of my projects.
ProblemInSteps.PNG
Correction at the bottom: It doesn't want to snap the vertex to the pivot either!
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Did you consider to upgrade your UT version to 469 so you could do your map using UEd 2.2 instead?
It's very likely that whichever bugs you're having in 2.0 may be already fixed in 2.2.
Aspide
Skilled

Post by Aspide »

That means the problem is the brush itself, sometimes when you copy a brush from one map to another the vertices can screw themselves up, so I recommend to recreate the brush from scratch.

Also check if the problem happens in the map where you took the brush from...
Somewhere in Nevada...
Peamole
Average

Post by Peamole »

Feralidragon wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:58 pm Did you consider to upgrade your UT version to 469 so you could do your map using UEd 2.2 instead?
It's very likely that whichever bugs you're having in 2.0 may be already fixed in 2.2.
Lol Nope, I'm currently using UT99 436. Yeah, I'll upgrade it someday soon, thanks, it's about time I do that.

Update:I just fixed it! Some strange things happened to my UEd when the problem started:
•All brushes changed the bNoDelete setting to True. :what: I changed it back.
•Distance Tool disappeared from the left side of the screen. I reinstalled it and it all got fixed somehow... :lol2:
This Distance Tool: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14673
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I did X corrections at those vertexes out of grid.
Step 1 - disable vertex snapping and all that aligning stuff
Step 2 - selected evil vertex exactly where it is
Step 3 - turn ON grid snapping
Step 4 - Move Vertex where you need and it will be snapped on a nearby grid point

It doesn't hurt a pivot reset and if brush is simple just use "Actor Align" for aligning it at grid. If brush keeps going crazy copy-paste it in Notepad and do examinations/corrections over there. All stage is normal in 436.
Peamole
Average

Post by Peamole »

sektor2111 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:17 am It doesn't hurt a pivot reset and if brush is simple just use "Actor Align" for aligning it at grid. If brush keeps going crazy copy-paste it in Notepad and do examinations/corrections over there. All stage is normal in 436.
This "Actor Align" is a command?

I like my Geometry to be aligned perfectly. I didn't know you could edit brushes in NotePad; I'll try. I tried editing a map with NotePad but it got corrupted.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Take in account order of reworked brush. If brush was first and you redo the room later and subtracting space with new subtract, all Adds in room are going vanished. If brush was the first it has to be ordered as the first and never the last -even reordering others if is needed. It was here a recent CTF map in which I solved flickering surfaces by using another brush and ordered properly or else all adds in area are going down-hill.

Unfortunately I did not see comprehensive tutorials explaining solutions in fixing a screwed geometry using text editors. Here is when you need to understand what does that means "Order to Last" and "Order to First" options when you click on certain Actor.

Text Editing Stuff:
- Vertex data corrections for grid snapping
- Origin data corrections
- PrePivot if has funky numbers
Texture data should be left alone because these can be aligned later.
This is not hard but it's time consuming and understanding this ordering need.
The problem is when room has a very complex brush (rotated, re-scaled, etc) where aligning at grid might generate non-coplanar surfaces and then me one I'm not calculating vertex values for matching a coplanar surface.

"Actor align" indeed is a command which I assigned to a button for making things more simple including for a reset of pivot and a reset/nulling of red template brush which is no longer needed if map is ready.

More or less known commands are into spoiler shown here
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14060&p=127865
Peamole
Average

Post by Peamole »

Thanks for the link to the commands and for the help! I know the "Order to First" and "Order to Last" things. It's like putting things underneath or atop each other in Microsoft Office PowerPoint(lol I still have Office 97!). All I needed to do was reset UnrealEd completely and rightclick on the map, far away from any vertices, and press "Place Pivot Here" or whatever, NOT "Pivot Snapped Here." The grid wasn't matching up with the actual measurements or something at the time...
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I think things have to do with what the grid was when the brush was made. I always use grid 1 and never snapping.
Binary Space Partitioning
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

:noidea Meh... if you need to "copy" a brush from another file (own file or other's) solution is to select said brush and use command "Map Brush Get". Red builder will go as a copy of selected brush. Now it has to be exported as T3D file. T3D file can be imported later, it's not like "Copy-Paste" has benefits and not messing up these actors. Also T3D file can be seen as Text and you can even fix what doesn't match the grid - my grid is set at 8 UU and I'm not changing it unless I need to change it. Then rest of "issues" might need a "session reboot". It's not like mappers couldn't work in Editor at a sudden moment because Editor has "Life-Time" embedded... :lol: .
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

sektor2111 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:10 am T3D file can be imported later, it's not like "Copy-Paste" has benefits and not messing up these actors.
I didn't investigate that further but I'm convinced that copying and pasting an Actor through the clipboard is done as text in T3D format, not in binary format.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Importing a template is another thing that importing an actor with all data - including "name" "Location" "OldLocation" and all sort of junk data - You know already what I'm saying, if not, just look at those "pre-fabs" shared for importing and see what is there.
A T3D brush template is usually empty, no name or location is used. Something taken from a map with Copy-Paste will attempt to be placed as in original not in the place for importing. Brush12 imported in a map that already has Brush12 doesn't make any sense.