MH-RTrain

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Buggie
Godlike

MH-RTrain

Post by Buggie »

MonsterHunt conversion for this map:
https://unrealarchive.org/maps/unreal-t ... 5dbd7.html
MH-RTrain.jpg

MH-RTrainV3.7z
(2.34 MiB) Downloaded 24 times
Last edited by Buggie on Sat May 14, 2022 11:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: MH-RTrain

Post by OjitroC »

Interesting conversion - works fine in 469b - tried it first in 436 and got this crash
Spoiler
Critical: ADecal::execAttachDecal
Critical: UObject::ProcessEvent
Critical: (MonsterShadow MH-RTrainV0.MonsterShadow102, Function MonsterHunt.MonsterShadow.Tick)
Critical: AActor::Tick
Critical: TickAllActors
Critical: ULevel::Tick
Critical: (NetMode=0)
Critical: TickLevel
Critical: UGameEngine::Tick
Critical: UpdateWorld
Critical: MainLoop
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Anyone who has train.u in their system folder won't see many textures in the map - it will load and play but will be largely untextured (given the 'conflict' between train.u and train.utx). You know what to do to run the map!
Eternity
Skilled

Post by Eternity »

It is normal for v436 client to crash on attempt to draw a decal upon untextured surfaces...
v469 client has this bug fixed.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Untextured surfaces means bad mapping, and if I take pathing in account it's not like is the best ever mapping execution.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:30 pm Untextured surfaces means bad mapping, and if I take pathing in account it's not like is the best ever mapping execution.
The surfaces are only untextured because I have a fie Train.u and the engine reads that first when looking for certain textures (instead of looking in train.utx).

Moving Train.u out of my system folder results in a fully textured map so there's no problem in that respect. I merely mentioned it so that people would be aware of the potential 'issue' and, if necessary, could act accordingly.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

You are right but I have to tell you a little story.
One of these converted maps I opened and saved from my Editor using that recent conformed MH version from forum. Next time when I tried to open it Editor rejected map saying: "Package Level was not found" or something like this which I have never seen in my life. I reverted MH package with version for coders provided by Kelly in 2008 and things were back to normal. To not forget some old facts when whatever actors were triggered in game and funky stuff was happening. Either way previous "nice" map for me does these:

Code: Select all

Warning: Type mismatch in FootstepSound of Texture: file 1, class 5
Warning: Skipping 1 bytes of type 1
When things are done this way, I'm deleting map before even to play it 4 seconds. I already know what byte "material" does to UT renders I don't need more trash bytes added in UT files, because actually these are not exactly UT files as UT doesn't use these bytes-unexistent-properties. In 2021 I'm not bother to test extra-bytes. If files origins are coming from other planet not from UT, this way is way no go for me.
In other hand this map has more useless stuff. DefensePoints ? In MonsterHunt ? Extra-Paths ? I won't ask if a Bot is very happy trying to pick up this MedBox, maybe it's working, maybe it lands over MedBox being blocked... Does it hurts moving in a normal place ? No, I moved it and I did not feel any pain in fingers.
FromTheTrain.PNG
These are solutions a la 2021 ? I like Train maps but not executed this way. MHFort concerning "Defender-Team" ? What Defenders Team ?

If is about using this type of map definitely I'll add there some MONSTERWAYPOINTS and even "shooting" actors and completely reworking all paths under 600 ReachSpecs.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

A couple of issues with the map :

1. The door into the compartment with the pupae doesn't always open properly - one can open it, fire and retreat and the door closes as one moves backwards - then, as often as not, it will not open as one moves forward again and neither will the door behind open so that one is essentially stuck in the lobby between the two doors trying to trigger one or the other to open;

2 Further down the train, the only toilet door that opens is the one into the cubicle with the shieldbelt - there are flies in the other cubicles but the doors to these don't open.

Personally I found the sound of the train movement too loud especially at the start, though I didn't notice it so much moving further down the train.

Overall, it's a fun map that can easily be completed by just one player (so no need for bots - these tend to get in the way given the narrowness of the carriages) - the helicopters are a nice touch that spice up the open flatbeds.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

1. Yes. Exists few problems with inner train doors.

2. Door slightly deeper from wall level. And there delay for 1 second. So you need jump into it and goes back for make space.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

V1
- fix door issue.
- add more hp.
- fix lag caused by rocks below train: https://github.com/OldUnreal/UnrealTour ... issues/552

Reloaded in the first post:
viewtopic.php?p=131483#p131483[hr][/hr]

Automatically merged

Oh. Sorry Forget about special build settings (15/100), so HOM appear.
Fixed in V2. Reloaded in first post.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

v3

- update paths.
- fix errors.
- update code base.
- add visible flag for train cabin.

Updated in first post: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14813
Man_With_No_Body
Novice

Post by Man_With_No_Body »

MH-RTrain V3 -could you check the monster counter?

Online play on the Barbies MH server , date: May 16, 2022:
-we have 0 monsters right from the start.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

233 monsters when I start locally Barbie controller.
Possible you need talk with Barbie about that.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Man_With_No_Body wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:45 pm -we have 0 monsters right from the start.
My MapPatcher killed all Monster except the Nali :loool: But that was for bug hunting only. I reverted that of course but simply forgot to update the MapPatcher. :omfg:
Fixed.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett