[469b] OpenGL " dropping squares issue", bug or setting?

Discussions about UT99
TankBeef
Masterful

[469b] OpenGL " dropping squares issue", bug or setting?

Post by TankBeef »

Ok, first of all, I opened the report a month ago, here: https://github.com/OldUnreal/UnrealTour ... issues/519
It may not be a bug, it could be a setting in the OpenGL, but so far I have not found it. If it turn out to be, then I will close the issue. Any ideas? :wink:
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: [469b] OpenGL " dropping squares issue", bug or setting?

Post by Feralidragon »

It's likely one of the bugs with the light atlas in OpenGL (the light atlas is something new introduced in 469b OpenGL, to speed up rendering performance relative to lightmaps).

And in all likelihood it's fixed in the 469c version, considering that other bugs were fixed there as well (such as flushing).
So you can either request access to it in the OldUnreal forum or discord, or as a quick test to validate if this is indeed the case, you can disable the atlas in OpenGL: open the UnrealTournament.ini, and look for the setting with "Atlas" in its name, and just set it to false and check again.
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

Thanks so much, Ferali. I will let you all know as soon as I load the map again. :tu:
darksonny
Adept

Post by darksonny »

Feralidragon wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:23 pm It's likely one of the bugs with the light atlas in OpenGL (the light atlas is something new introduced in 469b OpenGL, to speed up rendering performance relative to lightmaps).

And in all likelihood it's fixed in the 469c version, considering that other bugs were fixed there as well (such as flushing).
So you can either request access to it in the OldUnreal forum or discord, or as a quick test to validate if this is indeed the case, you can disable the atlas in OpenGL: open the UnrealTournament.ini, and look for the setting with "Atlas" in its name, and just set it to false and check again.
I went to github to download the 469c version, I could not find it where did you see this version?
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

It hasn't been released to the public yet.

It's still under internal testing, but whoever wants to participate in that testing can do so by requesting access either in the OldUnreal forum or discord.
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

Ok, check this out:
1-The options is UseLightmapAtlas=True, i changed it to False, the issue remains unchanged but...
2-I can only modify this by opening the unrealtournament.ini outside the game. If I type "preferences" in console for the advanced options, it won't let me change it, for some reason I am not allowed to modify it, maybe I am not supposed to? :shock:
3-If I go from full screen to windowed and back to full screen, the issue is gone. It comes back when I restart the map.

Anyway, yes, I suppose the issue may have been corrected for the next patch, I have no rush, I can wait patiently for the official release. These are just Just minor things, and most of the maps work fine.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

You cannot change that setting in run-time because the atlas completely changes how lightmaps are stored and rendered.
And if it works well enough in the future, it might even cease to be a setting with the atlas always "enabled".