More than just killing in MH

Do you search a certain mutator, mod, skin, map, everything else?
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

More than just killing in MH

Post by EvilGrins »

To almost the exception of everything else, I've been playing my 2 edits of MH-LostInTime over and over: one with monster swaps, the other with Ferali's X-vehicles... the latter of which is practically cheating as the dinos don't see a player when they're in vehicles so it's kind of a slaughter.

Been debating making another edit to make it even harder, probably swap in Predators/Yautja. Maybe do some weapon swaps.

The thing I love about the map is there's more involved than simply killing the monsters to win the game. You have to go around the map and trigger switches which open access to other things on the map. The way you exit the map doesn't even open until you get 8 of the 9 switches. A lot of the earlier mappers of MonsterHunt did this kinda thing fairly often, most don't anymore, and not all of them did a great job of it... but this map is exceptional.

Mapper is Derdak2rot, I've gone through the rest of his MH maps on UnrealArchive to check out... but I was wondering if anyone knew of maps similar to this type? Where you have to do more than kill the monsters to beat the level.
Attachments
Shot0043.png
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Barbie
Godlike

Re: More than just killing in MH

Post by Barbie »

Try to solve the elevator puzzle in MH-Ziki... :lol:
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Barbie wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:06 pm Try to solve the elevator puzzle in MH-Ziki... :lol:
Appears to be 2 fixes for it...
https://unrealarchive.org/search/index.html?q=Ziki
...will try the 2nd one.
Shrimp
Adept

Post by Shrimp »

This is supposed to be the difference between Monster Hunt and Monster Arena. Monster Hunt maps were supposed to be more like single player/co-op levels with basic puzzles and some adventuring involved, where you start with basic weapons and easy enemies, ramping up towards a boss or similar conclusion to the map. Monster Arena was supposed to be about just shooting and killing stuff with no actual "adventure" element involved.
ShrimpWorks
Unreal Archive - preserving over 25 years of user-created content for the Unreal series!
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

:lol2: Of course in MonsterHunt you don't have to kill monsters all the time, you might need to reload your gunz, retreat, dodging from damage, and you can even re-spawn if some other lousy map has killed you for no reason.

Note: This is one of those maps which I REMOVED, just like that. The size of Area with dinosaurs doesn't help too much DevPath making monsters to not be very engaged in chasing player - doesn't matter any aggressive MH controller, spamming console, and Bot being almost useless in the same Big Area as long as MonsterWayPoints are not really well configured and there are pathing quirks as well.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

In my opinion MH is like SP on steroids (or should be), while getting the benefit of bots like in DM-UT,,,,

They really all should be extensive storytelling and goals to achieve but with MORE killing and difficulty because you can get help by adding bots.

You could make a SP map only, if you wanted, plus I think MH should have been built-in, you get the use of pawns from unreal, and the use of bots and editor for UT. AND for online.

Then in UT2004 they still screw up and make that, waves of monsters, things, yuck.
Binary Space Partitioning
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Subject MonsterHunt is aiming TEAM-Play. Puzzling stuff constantly it's not making a map very popular - that's a SP subject. MH-Godz series are demonstrating that they were pretty successful even using simple rooms poorly textured. MonsterHunt says "Work with your teammates to hunt down monsters" or such. This is exactly what was making the game to be popular. You have a few objectives to complete and... guarded by monsters - this sort of stage was making more maps to be played for years. Others can play what they want, it's not a problem.
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

For me MH is a bit of an try on coop/campaign mode.
Maps having cutscenes like LostSouls etc, following nalis, unlocking areas. (castle/outside/napali scenes)
Although its teambased, it's often played as 1 big team.

Not a fan of those ''cube maps'' with just arena after arena filled with pawns, with no thought behind it besides holding your fire button.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

sektor2111 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:08 amThis is one of those maps which I REMOVED, just like that. The size of Area with dinosaurs doesn't help too much DevPath making monsters to not be very engaged in chasing player - doesn't matter any aggressive MH controller, spamming console, and Bot being almost useless in the same Big Area as long as MonsterWayPoints are not really well configured and there are pathing quirks as well.
It's not the only massively large map with dinos on it, I know of 2 others which are larger that were used primarily by KillerBee's servers, especially his Stronger-MonsterHunt games.

As to LostInTime, if I were to get someone to fix the pathing on that it would only be for 1 particular aspect. When not fighting dinos from the initial staging area into the primitive past, or following actual players, all bots run around the corner to the right, fight their way across a small lake, and then stop doing anything in an area somewhat removed from all the action...

...I'd almost think the OG mapper set that up deliberately to get any bots out of the way.
Red_Fist wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:36 pmThen in UT2004 they still screw up and make that, waves of monsters, things, yuck.
Invasion isn't all bad, there's a version made for ut99 too.
esnesi wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:42 pmNot a fan of those ''cube maps'' with just arena after arena filled with pawns, with no thought behind it besides holding your fire button.
That really only works with the original UT monsters, and not so well depending on how many the map generates for any given area. Some custom monsters will kill you even if you do that as they've got so much health.