Mild curiosity on map info...

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Mild curiosity on map info...

Post by EvilGrins »

When editing a map (mentioned something relating to this to Buggie recently) it may or may not be pertinent to update the information that's directly inside the map. Specifically under "Level Info".

In such updates, is it kosher to remove no longer valid information?

The underlined portion there is EZkeel's website, or at least it was at the time he made the map originally. That site no longer exists, like so many Unreal/UT sites... it has gone the way of the dodo bird.

Is it better to leave the no longer relevant info there, or remove it to save someone the hassle of looking for a defunct site?
Attachments
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzClip0002.png
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Aspide
Skilled

Re: Mild curiosity on map info...

Post by Aspide »

I think that changing the information of LevelInfo is not something anyone should do unless you get permission from the original author, (well that goes to modifying the map as well), Is always a good idea to try to contact the original mapper, but considering that EZkeel has been long gone from the community it might be impossible to do so, in that case the modified version of the map should be released with a readme that explains that you attempted to contact the original mapper. Something like that happened to me when I made Marathon:Resurrection 2.5, but thankfully I was able to contact members from the original team. In conclusion: try to contact EZkeel, if that is not possible make the modifications you need as long as you credit EZkeel, however if EZkeel responds as says no, it's no.

Also the original map's readme says that you can't modify it without his permission. :(
Somewhere in Nevada...
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Aspide wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:58 pmI think that changing the information of LevelInfo is not something anyone should do unless you get permission from the original author, (well that goes to modifying the map as well), Is always a good idea to try to contact the original mapper
I quite agree, and I'm a crediting whore... pardon my French.
Aspide wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:58 pmconsidering that EZkeel has been long gone from the community it might be impossible to do so

Also the original map's readme says that you can't modify it without his permission.
Oh, that was not as imposible as you might think.
EZkeel wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:31 am Hey folks.
Just got an e-mail asking for permission to edit Time-Rip.
I really appreciate you reaching out, and apologize if it was a trial trying to find me! It's been 20 years !!
I happily give permission. Hope you enjoy it. :)
It took tracking down his email address in an entirely different game to find him, but I can be very determined when I want to be.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Aspide
Skilled

Post by Aspide »

Wait a minute, after investigating you did get his permission. I'm such an idiot. Anyway I suppose that removing the LevelEnterText is fine, the website it's long gone and LevelEnterText doesn't appear in the game anyways. :tongue:

I respect your determination. :tu:
Somewhere in Nevada...
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Aspide wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:06 pm LevelEnterText doesn't appear in the game anyways.
See Wiki:
string LevelEnterText (localized)
Message to tell players when they enter.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Aspide
Skilled

Post by Aspide »

That's correct Barbie, but the LevelEnterText only appears if you are playing with a HUD that supports it, like Unreal's HUD. UT99's HUD doesn't have the LevelEnterText in it. Now if there is a custom UT99 HUD that fixes that then we are good to go. :tongue:
Somewhere in Nevada...
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Aspide wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:17 am the LevelEnterText only appears if you are playing with a HUD that supports it
I don't want to annoy :oops:, but I noticed this in PlayerPawn.uc:

Code: Select all

event PostBeginPlay() {
	Super.PostBeginPlay();
	if (Level.LevelEnterText != "" )
		ClientMessage(Level.LevelEnterText);
	…
and this in TournamentPlayer.uc:

simulated function PostBeginPlay() {
	Super.PostBeginPlay();
	…
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Aspide
Skilled

Post by Aspide »

That's interesting, but I think that code doesn't do anything. The code that uses LevelEnterText is in unrealhud, function DrawMOTD:

Canvas.DrawText(Level.LevelEnterText, true);
If you investigate ChallengeHUD (UT99's HUD), the DrawMOTD function doesn't have LevelEnterText in it.
Somewhere in Nevada...
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Well, considering that ClientMessage does this:

event ClientMessage( coerce string S, optional Name Type, optional bool bBeep )
{
    if (Player == None)
        return;

if (Type == '')
        Type = 'Event';

if (Player.Console != None)
        Player.Console.Message( PlayerReplicationInfo, S, Type );
    if (bBeep && bMessageBeep)
        PlayBeepSound();
    if ( myHUD != None )
        myHUD.Message( PlayerReplicationInfo, S, Type );
}
and considering that for the LevelEnterText this is being called almost at the top of the PostBeginPlay function, before most things are set up for the player (including the HUD itself, so myHUD at least seems to still be None at this point), then the player will really never see this text at all.

Even in the console it doesn't appear (tested it), so Player.Console is probably also None at this point.

I think it was meant to appear, but given where it's being called from, it doesn't really work (in other words, it's a bug).
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Another thing to fix in 469? :mrgreen: