-= The UT99.org 2021 Mapping Contest =-

General Announcements about Unreal Tournament and UT99.org
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: -= The UT99.org 2021 Mapping Contest =-

Post by EvilGrins »

FraGnBraG, that sounds like a variation of the InstaDead weapon. It fired a black beam that did no damage to players but launched them across a map... so they got impact damage from whatever they crashed into.

Typically I play DOM with Instagibs, so I like the idea but I see problems. That might work better for a different gametype, as weapons that don't kill make it harder to defend a control point.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

Aspide wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:41 am ...that idea reminds me of the Bounce! mod for UT99 ...
well shhyte!! already done. :facepalm: I should have checked around, lol! I won't top that one.

Oh well, back to the drawing board... :noidea
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Aspide
Skilled

Post by Aspide »

How about a Domination map where the control points move around?, and you have to time your jumps to get them?, bot support would be difficult but not impossible.
Somewhere in Nevada...
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

Aspide wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:22 am How about a Domination map where the control points move around?, and you have to time your jumps to get them?, bot support would be difficult but not impossible.
Wow, what a great idea, I would totally play that. :mrgreen: Can it be done? Stay tuned...

(Ohhh bummer, you're right...the bot support :facepalm: ....so much for getting excited...)
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Aspide wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:22 am How about a Domination map where the control points move around?, and you have to time your jumps to get them?, bot support would be difficult but not impossible.
I thought about it too... though I'm unsure if to make a CTF or a DOM, I know exactly how to code a control point to make it move around, mhm.
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I will have a map, DM, it was a one room map that I did a long time ago but the damn mover flicker problem screwed it all up.
But I am working on it , not sure if it's a good DM map or not, then or now.
I might not be able to do paths on this though, not a good bot map. :noidea yet

Automatically merged

UnrealGGecko wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:35 am We're 8 pages and nearly half way in and only NOW you're questioning it? :P
Absolutely NOT what I read, my creation better be a legit entry, I made it in 110 BC.
Point is, I am working on a map that never worked and is more work making it work than the amount of work to enter a map.
Binary Space Partitioning
Sinnical
Average

Post by Sinnical »

I'm still working on mine. I have most of a DM layout done. Still playing with it, but it feels like it should be pretty fun.

I want to use most of the rest of my time to make it look nice. I'm also experimenting with making my own textures... I've never really done it before so they are a little rudimentary right now but I think I will still have time to polish them up before all is said and done.

Pic attached to prove my map exists XD

Quick question for the other mappers out there since I'm a bit rusty:

Is it still considered bad practice to copy/paste BSP and lights? I remember that being an issue, but I was also about 14 when I started mapping 20 years ago, so I don't remember why I think that.

Thanks!
Attachments
newscreen.png
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

It's just cutting and pasting won't put things exactly in the place it was cut from, and or tags and events change.
Binary Space Partitioning
SteadZ
Average
Personal rank: 1337

Post by SteadZ »

Sinnical wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:15 pm Is it still considered bad practice to copy/paste BSP and lights? I remember that being an issue, but I was also about 14 when I started mapping 20 years ago, so I don't remember why I think that.
It's generally considered better practice to use duplicate instead (shift+D in 436/ctrl+D in 469) as copy+paste has been known to cause issues due to object names also sometimes being copied across which can cause corruption.
"The problem with dreams is... you never know when you're gonna wake up"

Sinnical
Average

Post by Sinnical »

SteadZ wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:23 am It's generally considered better practice to use duplicate instead (shift+D in 436/ctrl+D in 469) as copy+paste has been known to cause issues due to object names also sometimes being copied across which can cause corruption.
Okay I think that must be what I was thinking about. Also I never knew duplicate was a thing so thanks for that :facepalm:
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Finally I have some time to start my map.
Let's see if I can get it done till deadline.
fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

Post by fudgonaut »

My CTF concept is a spaceship in pieces. I've been trying to front-load the work since I will be away for a chunk of the holidays. I'm pretty pleased with the progress as this is only my second UT map. Geometry, textures, and lighting are approx 95% done for Blue team. Still need to add pickup placement, pathing, sound. Once that's done I can duplicate for the Red team. And if time allows, maybe some special FX. Although even without FX, the skybox carries the day...
Shot00000.jpg
Shot00001.jpg
Shot00002.jpg
Shot00003.jpg
Shot00004.jpg
Shot00005.jpg
Shot00006.jpg
Shot00007.jpg
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Uuuuuh pretty

Now tell me that sky-box is animated...
fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

Post by fudgonaut »

papercoffee wrote: Now tell me that sky-box is animated...