A Friend In Need

Maps, mods and resources ported from or to Unreal.
Must run in UT99 or with Oldskool Amp'd.
Unreal 227 only projects are "Off-Topic"
Aspide
Skilled

A Friend In Need

Post by Aspide »

This version of the campaign has become obsolete, to get the newest version go to the link here:
Link: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=15610
Last edited by Aspide on Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:15 am, edited 5 times in total.
Somewhere in Nevada...
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Re: A Friend In Need

Post by esnesi »

Oh hey wow a fresh new campaign, thanks alot Aspide!!

Gave it a quick rundown for testing.
Noticed that AFIN-Map03-LongWayAround is redirecting to AFIN-Map04-SPCredits.
What's often the case online is that some creditmaps don't replicate well, and result in a black map as you might've experienced yourself.

I did notice that AFIN-Map04-CoopCredits is indeed working fine, i assume you included this for online play given it's name.
So i guess Map03 should should also redirect to Map04-CoopCredit in a online situation ?

Can't wait to get into the story a bit more, the maps look great!
And thanks for giving the campaign an abbreviation AFIN in the filenames, makes it more convenient for sorting them in mapvotes! :)

It's loaded on the FFN Server under Coop Campaigns>VA Coop Maps
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Nice to see a new SP campaign :tu:

I've played the first map AFIN-Map01-WarriorsLament in UT 469b off-line with OldSkool and on Easy (as I do when first playing a SP map, just to get the feel of it). Nicely done and entertaining thus far - just a couple of comments :

1 I got to the end in the castle, having killed everything and flipped the switch, got the 'doors open' message but the final door did not open - so ghosted through then walked and went down the stairs to the bottom door where the level switched to the next one. So not sure why that door didn't open?

2 Started the next map AFIN-Map02-Vecchieferite and picked up a Universal Translator which displayed a message to the HUD. However I had not been able to pick up the Translator at the beginning of the first level nor at any point where there was one in the map - so not sure what the issue is and why I was unable to pick up one previously (I could pick up stuff like flares, seeds and the flashlight though so looks like an issue with the Translator in the map)? Of course, without the Translator I wasn't able to follow the story beyond what I had gathered from the readme, which is a pity.

3 No idea how to get into the underground cavern - standing on the doors (two I think at different points in the 'village') didn't seem to work - only know there is an underground cavern by reading the readme with spoilers (which appears to be essential reading otherwise one has no idea that all that stuff is in the map or how to get it).
Aspide
Skilled

Post by Aspide »

Thanks for playing guys, now to answer some comments:

-The credits map changes depending if you're playing online or not, this was done by a trigger that cannot be avoided that only appears online.
-To open the final doors of map 1, first you have to enter the fortress, kill all the kralls in the fortress, activate the switch at the top and then you will encounter the final fight.
-There is a universal translator and flashlight (with unlimited battery) on the table at the very beginning of map 1, how did you miss it?. If they are invisible, then I have no idea what's wrong.
-To get to the underground cavern, go to one of the corners of the citadel, you will find a wooden door with a sign, if you shoot at it enough if will be destroyed.
This part of the map is entirely optional, but gives you a great reward.
Somewhere in Nevada...
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Aspide wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:16 pm -To open the final doors of map 1, first you have to enter the fortress, kill all the kralls in the fortress, activate the switch at the top and then you will encounter the final fight.
Yes, did all that (killed all the initial krall, flipped the switch, killed the krall and brutes that came out or were spawned) but the door wouldn't open - as I say, I had to ghost through it. Is the door meant to stay open after flipping the switch or will it only open after killing everything (as it is possible one or more krall wandered out the fortress and I didn't see them)? Some brutes were killed by the krall and vice versa - do they all have to be killed by the player for the door to open?
Aspide wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:16 pm -There is a universal translator and flashlight (with unlimited battery) on the table at the very beginning of map 1, how did you miss it?. If they are invisible, then I have no idea what's wrong.
No, didn't miss them - the flashlight could be picked up but not the translator. The translator at the start of the second map could be picked up though
Aspide wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:16 pm -To get to the underground cavern, go to one of the corners of the citadel, you will find a wooden door with a sign, if you shoot at it enough if will be destroyed.
This part of the map is entirely optional, but gives you a great reward.
Yes, I've now realised that that wooden door needs to be shot.
Aspide
Skilled

Post by Aspide »

-That's weird, after all enemies of the final fight are killed, first the music stops, then the final doors are unlocked. So if the music is still going, you miss someone.
-What?, the translator cannot be picked up?. Try standing next to it, jump and crouch. (I have play tested this in Unreal and UT99, including 469, and never encounter that problem)
-Also on Easy you can get a Cloak at the starting area, please don't tell me that cannot be pickup either. :(
Somewhere in Nevada...
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Aspide wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:42 pm -That's weird, after all enemies of the final fight are killed, first the music stops, then the final doors are unlocked. So if the music is still going, you miss someone.
I never play music so won't have noticed that. I think I did a save at the end of the first map so I'll go back and see if anything was left.
Aspide wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:42 pm -What?, the translator cannot be picked up?. Try standing next to it, jump and crouch. (I have play tested this in Unreal and UT99, including 469, and never encounter that problem)
Sorry - entirely my fault. I had forgotten I was using Buggie's Monster Hunt Translator (as that prints messages to the screen and so is easier to read than peering at the small translator screen). So that's why the translator couldn't be picked up in the first map - without that mutator, the translator can be picked up.
Aspide wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:42 pm -Also on Easy you can get a Cloak at the starting area, please don't tell me that cannot be pickup either. :(
No problem with picking up the Cloak or any other pickup.
Aspide
Skilled

Post by Aspide »

OjitroC wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:44 pm I never play music so won't have noticed that.
Please play with music turned on, It took me a lot of trouble selecting songs that fit each map perfectly, even scripted sequences are synchronized with the music, as long as you play with 100% game speed. :tongue:
Somewhere in Nevada...
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Aspide wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:42 pm -That's weird, after all enemies of the final fight are killed, first the music stops, then the final doors are unlocked. So if the music is still going, you miss someone.
Yes, I wandered around for a while and found a krall behind the castle/fortress - got rid of it and the final door opened!

Got stuck in the second map AFIN-Map02-Vecchieferite - went down the passageway where the torches become lit as one approaches them and into the cell area with the Nali - went into the cell at the end with the switch, flipped the switch and the door to the cell closed and wouldn't open again. Had to ghost to get out - no other cell doors were opened so not sure what happens after this? How to get out of the cell? Where to go after that?

From the log for the second map
Spoiler
ScriptLog: Predator4.BuildPath() route too long

Log: DoorPawn AFIN-Map02-VecchieFerite.DoorPawn0 (Function Engine.Pawn.AdjustHitLocation:003A) GetAnimGroup: No mesh
(A lot of these lines)

ScriptWarning: AFINCloak AFIN-Map02-VecchieFerite.AFINCloak1 (Function UPak.Cloak.Destroyed:000C) Accessed None 'Owner'
ScriptWarning: AFINCloak AFIN-Map02-VecchieFerite.AFINCloak1 (Function UPak.Cloak.Destroyed:0014) Attempt to assign variable through None
ScriptWarning: AFINCloak AFIN-Map02-VecchieFerite.AFINCloak1 (Function UPak.Cloak.RestoreVis:000C) Accessed None 'Owner'
ScriptWarning: AFINCloak AFIN-Map02-VecchieFerite.AFINCloak1 (Function UPak.Cloak.RestoreVis:0014) Attempt to assign variable through None
ScriptWarning: AFINCloak AFIN-Map02-VecchieFerite.AFINCloak1 (Function UPak.Cloak.RestoreVis:001F) Accessed None 'Owner'
ScriptWarning: AFINCloak AFIN-Map02-VecchieFerite.AFINCloak1 (Function UPak.Cloak.RestoreVis:0033) Accessed None 'Owner'
ScriptWarning: AFINCloak AFIN-Map02-VecchieFerite.AFINCloak1 (Function UPak.Cloak.RestoreVis:003B) Attempt to assign variable through None
ScriptWarning: AFINCloak AFIN-Map02-VecchieFerite.AFINCloak1 (Function UPak.Cloak.RestoreVis:0046) Accessed None 'Owner'
(Don't know what happeded here - don't remember using the Cloak - though I did cycle through the held items to get to the flashlight so may be that?)
Aspide
Skilled

Post by Aspide »

If you use the flashlight and investigate the room where you get captured, you will see a hole on the floor, shoot it. This only happens after the door traps you.

Automatically merged

Hello everyone, I made a new patch that includes more files for UT99. There were many files I missed, I'm never using RTNP content for UT99 again. :mad2:
Somewhere in Nevada...
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I am not typically a fan of single player, but I gave this a quick look and I liked what I saw.
Image Image Image Image Image
Will take a more thorough look later... the immortal bunnies were a nice touch.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Aspide
Skilled

Post by Aspide »

Good choice of weapons I see.. :agree1: . By the way the bunnies aren't 100% inmortal, you just can't kill them with weapons.
Somewhere in Nevada...
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Aspide wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:20 amGood choice of weapons I see..
I try...
Attachments
Shot0072.png
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
ExpEM
Adept

Post by ExpEM »

Sorry, All broken for me when I launch in UT436 because Upak isn't compatable.
Signature goes here.
Aspide
Skilled

Post by Aspide »

What do you mean Upak not compatible?, did you make sure to install the files from the System(UT99Only) folder?, remember that OldSkool Amp'd is a requirement (only in UT99).
Somewhere in Nevada...