DM-AMC-2041 (What 2040 was meant to be!)

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Porch Viking
Average

DM-AMC-2041 (What 2040 was meant to be!)

Post by Porch Viking »

Backstory
Back in the Awesome Mapping Contest a couple years ago, a goof-up happened. There was time between judging the winners and releasing the map pack, when everyone could polish up their maps for final release. I fixed up my map (DM-AMC-2040), sent it in, and stopped thinking about UT since I was pretty badly burned out after working on it. Problem is, that polished-up version never actually made it into the release, and I never realized it because "Oh, I already have my map, I don't need to re-download it." Whoops.

I only realized something was wrong after seeing some of Buggie's posts about their MH conversion of the map, and wondering, "How is that there? I thought I fixed that before release. And didn't I change those textures?" Turns out I did make those changes, but they never made it to the map pack. Sorry, Buggie!

Moving On!

So, here is DM-AMC-2041. I spent some time fixing it up a tiny bit further than the initial polish pass, so now this fully-realized version of the map can finally see the light of day. The new name is intentional, so as not to mess things up for people who already have any versions of the original release.

Map Info:
Map Name: Metropia 2041
Map Type: Deathmatch
Players: 16+ (35 playerstarts)
Theme: Urban / futuristic city

Misc notes:
The map is loosely based on Phantom 2040 for Sega Genesis.
It has a few custom textures, some Photoshopped from stock UT textures, and some made up from photos around the house.

Changes from DM-AMC-2040:
  • Fixed BSP holes. So many BSP holes. I think I got all of them, except for one little "pothole" you can just jump back out of.
  • Added invisible collision hulls between the floating platforms over the street, so you can run right across.
  • Texture overhaul of the Wildlife Museum, including some exhibit labels
  • Motion blurred textures for the train tunnel
  • Misc item and texture changes throughout
  • Added pathing and teleporters for bots and players that get knocked out of bounds. I didn't account for every possibility, just some of the likely ones.
  • Added a secret area!
For the curious, here is the original version: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13087
Attachments
Main screenshot
Main screenshot
Checking out the skyline
Checking out the skyline
Down the street
Down the street
View from above
View from above
Wildlife museum
Wildlife museum
Seeecreeeet! Turns out he doesn't like guests.
Seeecreeeet! Turns out he doesn't like guests.
Train ride!
Train ride!
DM-AMC-2041.zip
(7.09 MiB) Downloaded 37 times
Aspide
Skilled

Re: DM-AMC-2041 (What 2040 was meant to be!)

Post by Aspide »

Awesome, when I played this map in the AMC mappack I was hesitant because of the size (I don't like DM maps that are too big), but this map won me over thanks to the layout and level of detail. This is clearly an improvement on the original, especially when it comes to the textures. Also thanks for adding teleports for bots that get stuck out of bounds.

Also I found the secret area by accident thanks to the help of a bot that gave me a very painful boost. :tongue:

Good job Porch Viking :gj:
Last edited by Aspide on Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Somewhere in Nevada...
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Looks good, and you even fixed the BSP holes that were in Buggie's MH version that players and monsters fell into and disappeared from the game.

Monsters as statues are a nice touch, though the bird hung from the ceiling was a bit creepy.

Gotta ask, with the overhead traffic there's this 1 car that's spinning while it's moving forward. Was that supposed to be a drunk driver?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

Aspide wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:03 am Awesome, when I played this map in the AMC mappack I was hesitant because of the size (I don't like DM maps that are too big)
One of the best contest maps, made even better!!! Yes!!! :tu:
Yeah, I don't mind large deathmatch maps, I usually like them, but it is much harder to win, not because of lack of skill, but because the big fights are very far from where you are, and when you finally arrive you are already five frags down!!! :wth: :lol2: But the map is beautiful and fun in general. :mrgreen:
darksonny
Adept

Post by darksonny »

This map was never released when contest had happened? if yes another nice map to add my collection thanks!
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

darksonny wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:16 pm This map was never released when contest had happened? if yes another nice map to add my collection thanks!
Yes, it wasn't released as a contest map - this 'new' map is a fixed and improved version of the released contest map (with a new name to indicate that it is different).
darksonny
Adept

Post by darksonny »

OjitroC wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:42 pm
darksonny wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:16 pm This map was never released when contest had happened? if yes another nice map to add my collection thanks!
Yes, it wasn't released as a contest map - this 'new' map is a fixed and improved version of the released contest map (with a new name to indicate that it is different).
But...the old ones was in the amc pack? mmm under what name?
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

darksonny wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:18 pm But...the old ones was in the amc pack? mmm under what name?
Yes, the old one was in the pack - it was called DM-AMC-2040.
Porch Viking
Average

Post by Porch Viking »

darksonny wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:18 pm
OjitroC wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:42 pm
But...the old ones was in the amc pack? mmm under what name?
To explain the whole situation: There are 3 "finished" versions of the map.

DM-AMC-2040, as submitted for contest judging, was released in the map pack. It wasn't supposed to be.
DM-AMC-2040, updated for final release, was supposed to be in the map pack, but never actually got in. I think only myself and contest organizers ever actually saw this one.
DM-AMC-2041 is a slight update on top of that, released by itself in this thread. The new name is to avoid file version conflict.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Why did you have to fix your own map :mad2: :mrgreen:

I was working on the MH one and did a lot, not the map but other things for MH.

Well I will still finish it, and maybe give me another map name change for this one ?. :rock:
Binary Space Partitioning
jmartin
Skilled

Post by jmartin »

Very cool.

I love the traffic patterns

Museum (ur mom?) lol

The spitting red skull of doom.

Must have taken quite a while to make that.

Great work Bob! :tu: