-= The UT99.org 2021 Mapping Contest =-

General Announcements about Unreal Tournament and UT99.org
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: -= The UT99.org 2021 Mapping Contest =-

Post by EvilGrins »

I'll probably do a longer review later, but some quick observations on CTF-NRMC-Gravitation:
1. I like that the .umx is largely silent, let's you appreciate the space sounds of the map better.
2. Visuals of black hole are amazing.
3. Bots handle the map very well.
4. I only really noticed two problems...
Jump pads at the top center of the map, on either side of the mapping contest logo, from 1 side bots tend to get stuck and run in place endlessly.
I tend to initially test maps by launching them directly with a double-click, which puts me on all of UT's default settings.

This is a transparency issue, I'm assuming that hot pink outline of the contest logo is supposed to be clear... but with default settings it's very visible.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

Post by fudgonaut »

@EvilGrins, thanks for providing feedback!
EvilGrins wrote: 1. I like that the .umx is largely silent, let's you appreciate the space sounds of the map better.
Can you hear the music at all? I can remix the music to boost the sound levels if it's too quiet.
EvilGrins wrote: 2. Visuals of black hole are amazing.
Thanks!
EvilGrins wrote: 3. Bots handle the map very well.
This is surprising to me. It was a struggle to get them to do anything right, and when I watch them in the map it feels like a failure. I had much grander plans for bot behavior.
EvilGrins wrote: Jump pads at the top center of the map, on either side of the mapping contest logo, from 1 side bots tend to get stuck and run in place endlessly.
I will slightly expand the collision radius on those two jumppads, which should 'catch' stuck bots and fling them away
EvilGrins wrote: This is a transparency issue, I'm assuming that hot pink outline of the contest logo is supposed to be clear... but with default settings it's very visible.
The pink outline is intentional - see the very first post in this thread.

Thanks again!
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

fudgonaut wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:28 pmCan you hear the music at all? I can remix the music to boost the sound levels if it's too quiet.
Don't hear it in game, and it makes no sound out of game when I ran it through a music player.
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

I will have to wait until tonight to check out your map, fudgonaut. I fell asleep waiting for the missing file. :lol2:
Berserker
Experienced

Post by Berserker »

Visit us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/fcRakgNCjR Image
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

Berserker wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:07 pm Image
Wow!!! :shock: This looks amazing!!! Are you sure this is UT99?
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: 2021 NRMC map release thread (put maps here!)

Post by OjitroC »

CTF-NRMC-Gravitation

Pretty cool map :gj: Great idea, nice execution - lots of nice touches and details particularly the lighting and steam spurts in the buildings (but also the jump pads and the pickup bases) and the overall texturing and general ambience leads to the creation of an interesting and unique 'place'.

As often happens with jump pads, they don't always work precisely:

Jumping from A to B sometimes results in landing on the platform as indicated by the arrow and not on the jump pad
Grav1.png

Jumping from A to B sometimes results in landing on the platform as indicated by the arrow and not on the jump pad
Grav2.png

Jumping from pad A to the platform B results in quite a lot of self damage - enough to kill you if done twice so somewhere around 56HP.
Grav3.png

Some things noted by sektor's MapGarbage tool that you may wish to have a look at
Spoiler
UnReachableNodes: PathNode70 looks much over ground for normal Human Size, check it.
UnReachableNodes: LiftExit28 looks much over ground for normal Human Size, check it.
UnReachableNodes: TranslocStart0 looks much over ground for normal Human Size, check it.
UnReachableNodes: TranslocStart1 looks much over ground for normal Human Size, check it.
UnReachableNodes: PathNode83 looks much over ground for normal Human Size, check it.
UnReachableNodes: PathNode84 looks much over ground for normal Human Size, check it.
UnReachableNodes: AlternatePath14 looks much over ground for normal Human Size, check it.
UnReachableNodes: AlternatePath15 looks much over ground for normal Human Size, check it.
UnReachableNodes: PathNode71 looks much over ground for normal Human Size, check it.

NoIncomingPath: InventorySpot1830 is not having incoming connections.
NoIncomingPath: InventorySpot36 is not having incoming connections.
NoIncomingPath: InventorySpot1349 is not having incoming connections.
NoIncomingPath: InventorySpot3865 is not having incoming connections.
NoIncomingPath: InventorySpot4035 is not having incoming connections.
NoIncomingPath: InventorySpot169 is not having incoming connections.

A lot of the lights are placed very close to another light - perhaps the overall number can be reduced without any loss of quality/effect?

TestingPotentialSpamCopy: For AlternatePath4 has been found a very closer to AlternatePath8, that means a sort of copy for AlternatePath4.
TestingPotentialSpamCopy: For AlternatePath5 has been found a very closer to AlternatePath9, that means a sort of copy for AlternatePath5.
TestingPotentialSpamCopy: For AlternatePath6 has been found a very closer to AlternatePath20, that means a sort of copy for AlternatePath6.
TestingPotentialSpamCopy: For AlternatePath7 has been found a very closer to AlternatePath18, that means a sort of copy for AlternatePath7.
TestingPotentialSpamCopy: For AlternatePath8 has been found a very closer to AlternatePath4, that means a sort of copy for AlternatePath8.
TestingPotentialSpamCopy: For AlternatePath9 has been found a very closer to AlternatePath5, that means a sort of copy for AlternatePath9.
TestingPotentialSpamCopy: For AlternatePath10 has been found a very closer to AlternatePath11, that means a sort of copy for AlternatePath10.
TestingPotentialSpamCopy: For AlternatePath11 has been found a very closer to AlternatePath10, that means a sort of copy for AlternatePath11.
TestingPotentialSpamCopy: For AlternatePath12 has been found a very closer to AlternatePath13, that means a sort of copy for AlternatePath12.
TestingPotentialSpamCopy: For AlternatePath13 has been found a very closer to AlternatePath12, that means a sort of copy for AlternatePath13.
TestingPotentialSpamCopy: For AlternatePath18 has been found a very closer to AlternatePath7, that means a sort of copy for AlternatePath18.
TestingPotentialSpamCopy: For AlternatePath20 has been found a very closer to AlternatePath6, that means a sort of copy for AlternatePath20.

VoidCheck: SmokeGenerator13 looks placed into void (probably OK - perhaps just check this?)

WallHitting: PlayerStart23 is facing a closer wall, a rocket fired too quickly might be damaging. (just check this?)

ZoningChecker: ZoneInfo1 and ZoneInfo10 share the same zone

[DefensePoints are unbalanced]
DefenseChecks: Map has 6 DefensePoint Actors for team 0.
DefenseChecks: Map has 4 DefensePoint Actors for team 1.

Berserker
Experienced

Post by Berserker »

Skybox test

It consists of several coned brushes, which means I can animate them spinning around in a circle. Should work in theory so I hope I don't get any bugs.
Visit us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/fcRakgNCjR Image
fudgonaut
Adept

Post by fudgonaut »

Thanks for the feedback OjitroC!

Map file has been updated!
Spoiler
OjitroC wrote:As often happens with jump pads, they don't always work precisely
They do work precisely, extremely precisely. They are very unforgiving so if you don't stop moving (directional keys) the moment you hit the jumppads there's a good chance you will be flung into the void. The flipside is you can mess with other players (splash damage) as they are about to hit a jumppad and wave goodbye as they cross the event horizon.
OjitroC wrote:Jumping from A to B sometimes results in landing on the platform as indicated by the arrow and not on the jump pad
Grav1.png
I'm going to leave this one as-is for now. I can try expanding the platform if there is enough demand for it.
OjitroC wrote:Jumping from A to B sometimes results in landing on the platform as indicated by the arrow and not on the jump pad
Grav2.png
this was the most problematic jumppad so I enlarged the platform. The platform is also larger for another reason, I'll leave it up to players to figure out why.
OjitroC wrote:Jumping from pad A to the platform B results in quite a lot of self damage - enough to kill you if done twice so somewhere around 56HP.
Grav3.png
I've adjusted the jumppad params and adjusted the geometry to prevent this issue
OjitroC wrote:UnReachableNodes
These are fine
OjitroC wrote:NoIncomingPath
InventorySpot 1830, 1349, 3865, 4035, and 169 do not exist in the map? (they are not listed when I search for actor)
OjitroC wrote:A lot of the lights are placed very close to another light - perhaps the overall number can be reduced without any loss of quality/effect?
All lights are as designed.
OjitroC wrote:TestingPotentialSpamCopy
These alternatePaths are close together but are different (different team or bReturnOnly)
OjitroC wrote:VoidCheck: SmokeGenerator13
I moved it 8uu just to be safe!
OjitroC wrote:WallHitting: PlayerStart
They're close but not too close
OjitroC wrote:ZoningChecker: ZoneInfo1 and ZoneInfo10 share the same zone
Fixed!
OjitroC wrote:[DefensePoints are unbalanced]
Fixed!

I also tweaked a couple things (music, jumppad collision) per feedback from EvilGrins.
fudgonaut
Adept

Post by fudgonaut »

That skybox is oh so pretty

And I love the crystal mood lighting!
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

fudgonaut wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:14 pm
OjitroC wrote:NoIncomingPath
InventorySpot 1830, 1349, 3865, 4035, and 169 do not exist in the map? (they are not listed when I search for actor)
That's odd - looks like a problem with the tool in that instance. I checked the new version and there are paths from but not to these pickups:-

NoIncomingPath: InventorySpot580 is not having incoming connections.
NoIncomingPath: InventorySpot150 is not having incoming connections.
[these are Health Vials]

NoIncomingPath: InventorySpot921 is not having incoming connections.
NoIncomingPath: InventorySpot922 is not having incoming connections.
NoIncomingPath: InventorySpot923 is not having incoming connections.
[These are Flak ammo]

NoIncomingPath: InventorySpot90 is not having incoming connections.
[This is a rocket pack]
fudgonaut
Adept

Post by fudgonaut »

Ah yes, there are some spots in those lower cargo bays that are not bot-friendly. I couldn't get bots to jump on the crates, but I was also too impatient to set up translocator paths to all these pickups. Then I just sort of forgot/abandoned them.

I may try to fix or remove them later. But I'm probably going to take a breather first.

Thanks OjitroC!
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Part of the reason I'm doing my reviews like this is so I can link them elsewhere with additional links to the official map thread for downloads.

My review of CTF-NRMC-Gravitation:
https://unreal-games.livejournal.com/171570.html
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

fudgonaut wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:24 pmthere are some spots in those lower cargo bays that are not bot-friendly
More goodies for the human players!
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

UnrealGGecko wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:46 pm @EvilGrins @TankBeef

Post in this thread ONE MORE TIME and I'm muting you guys till the end of the contest :pfff:

Too tired to move all of this to the other thread... Will do tomorrow
You probably need to move my posts as well (plus the replies to them)? I must admit I had forgotten your instruction at the beginning of this thread, so apologies for that.