-= The UT99.org 2021 Mapping Contest =-

General Announcements about Unreal Tournament and UT99.org
jmartin
Skilled

Re: -= The UT99.org 2021 Mapping Contest =-

Post by jmartin »

Hi guys.

Pardon me if I'm wrong, but I noticed a few non-author comments popping up in the

"Board Index / Discussion / Mapping / 2021 NRMC map release thread (put maps here!)" thread.

In order to avoid any confusion and to keep the submission thread as clear, concise, and clutter free as possible, may I respectfully be so bold as to suggest that MAPS ONLY be submitted to the "put maps here" thread.

The "put maps here" thread should be limited to one post per map , that can then be updated and embellished over the course of the contest as the author sees fit.

All non map-author posts be moved to the general discussion thread:

Board Index / General / Announcements / -= The UT99.org 2021 Mapping Contest =-

That way, it will help to avoid any confusion as to what maps are being submitted, and the general public discussion pertaining to each map.

I'd just hate to see any entry get lost in the cross chatter.

Thanks, and best of luck to the contestants.

Everything so far looks amazing! :tu:
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

jmartin wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:32 am In order to avoid any confusion and to keep the submission thread as clear, concise, and clutter free as possible, may I respectfully be so bold as to suggest that MAPS ONLY be submitted to the "put maps here" thread.
Agree 100% jmartin :tu: , and I also admit to be one of those "non-authors" who did just that :facepalm: :oops: . Won't happen again, I promise.
EDIT: Gecko, so sorry man. I am still learning things around here. :noidea
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

So, don't get irritated ...I merged the posts from (put maps here!) thread into this one.
They appear in chronological order.

proceed with the mappening.

Automatically merged

EvilGrins wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:21 am This is a transparency issue, I'm assuming that hot pink outline of the contest logo is supposed to be clear... but with default settings it's very visible.
Nope the hot pink is intentional as you can see on the logo in this thread.
The invisible colour is a neon green.
Ghostwheel
Novice

Post by Ghostwheel »

Hi all, I updated my DM-NRMC-Outpost24 map here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14845
I fixed the bot pathing so they do not get stuck, I also changed the windows which makes it run a bit smoother.
There are now 2 version of the map DM-NRMC-Outpost24_Online and DM-NRMC-Outpost24_Offline.
Thanks again for checking it out. Any feedback is always welcome.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Ok ...I'm officially out of this contest ...I got no idea.
Maybe next year.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Finally played through the current entries, gotta say really strong line up so far :)

- DM-NRMC-LongTime by Shrimp
Does give me that older map feel, maybe a bit simpler in visuals then the rest of the lineup, it makes up for it with fun gameplay. Bots seem to play quite well, too. Only nitpick was I wasn't a fan of the lava texture used, but hey, can't please everyone, right? :P

- DM-NRMC-Outpost24 by Ghostwheel
An arena for more than just 6 players? Really don't see that often, and it works really well :) . Yeah this map is bigger than you expect it to be, can fit like 12 bots just fine. Solid entry, don't have complaints in this one, love the spinning center in the offline version, tend to enjoy just riding movers like that lol, shame it didn't work online. And no I'm not biased cuz of one of the secrets or that it's mostly green :mrgreen:

- CTF-NRMC-Gravitation by fudgonaut
Oki lemme just pop this on and HOLY COW THAT SKYBOX! 🤤
Yea the outside area steals the show for this one lol, very good job on that. Always happy for a w00t-like map to be here. Not the best one with gameplay, unfortunatly. Like I said skybox steals the show, can get a tiny bit distracting, and also the inside areas feel... idk empty? Overscaled? Something seems missing over there and I can't quite put my finger on it 🤔

- DM-NRMC-BlueBriar][ by Pikko
Another nice one from Pikko, seems to turn in maps like these like a machine, these days :lol2: solid enough gameplay, decent visually. It does have an annoyance with the spinning movers, they might have BumpOpenTimes or whatever it's called turned on, cuz I see them go back the other way super fast from time to time. Have a look at the Outpost map with the movers, those don't tend to malfunction at all :P

So far all keepers for me in my install, would be hard to pick my votes lol. Keep em coming guys!

As for my map... Yeaa I'm out too, might try to finish an oldie I was working for, as a bonus entry. Just really I had like 4 ideas that stopped at like 1-2 areas and couldnt really come up with the rest of the layout. Always next year though right?
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

papercoffee wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:56 am Ok ...I'm officially out of this contest ...I got no idea.
Maybe next year.
Don't worry Paper, you have many greats!!! :tu: One of the maps I play the most in general is The Insane Tower, so much fun and addictive :mrgreen: , that would have been a good example of a no rules. :lol2:
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

TankBeef wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:00 pm
papercoffee wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:56 am Ok ...I'm officially out of this contest ...I got no idea.
Maybe next year.
Don't worry Paper, you have many greats!!! :tu: One of the maps I play the most in general is The Insane Tower, so much fun and addictive :mrgreen: , that would have been a good example of a no rules. :lol2:
That map is in the rules of that contest.
Just a tiny space but made to be infinite big :mrgreen:
[~]RUFX[~]RoninMastaFX
Experienced
Personal rank: UT Veteran & Mapper

Post by [~]RUFX[~]RoninMastaFX »

This is my map that I'm working on for the mappack (and the contest). The map name is called "Vakiton Factory", but you can call it "Vakiton". I apologize regarding that the outside walls are bare right now, but in the Alpha 2 build that I am currently working on, a full fledged outside and offices (both viewable by the windows only, you can't explore either of them, they're just for show) is being built, but I do have decorations currently in place on the roof! Anyone who wants to beta test the map can vote for it on FFN (providing isense still has Alpha 1.9.6A on the server) or contact me directly and I'll send you the latest stable build, which is currently Alpha 1.9.6A. Alpha 2 will have the outside & offices built, with windows on the outside walls, so this will solve several key problems with the map and will make it shine! Kudos to Novaeon for letting me use his computer brush & textures (alongside other textures from Corporate Office) in the upcoming Offices (that are being built as I speak). Also, kudos to Nornec for making a badass song specifically for my map. You can check out his music at https://nornec.bandcamp.com/ . Last but not least, a GIANT kudos goes towards Ghostwheel, UnrealGGecko, Dark191, Xaleros, isense, Hook & Aalexanderrr/PsyXandeR for their help, support, ideas & testing!

Six pictures (of Alpha 1.9.6A) are listed below for your viewing pleasure. Ignore the over-brightness with these screenshots, idk what happened there... :wth:

fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

Post by fudgonaut »

UnrealGGecko wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:46 amSomething seems missing over there and I can't quite put my finger on it 🤔
Thanks for checking it out my map! I designed the map in a vaccuum (no pun intended)... so if you or anyone esle have suggestions to spruce up the gameplay & the interior please let me know! :thuup:
[~]RUFX[~]RoninMastaFX wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:16 am This is my map that I'm working on for the mappack (and the contest).
I find this map map is very pleasing to look at, looking forward to downloading it!
jmartin
Skilled

Post by jmartin »

Maybe next year.
UnrealGGecko wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:46 am As for my map... Yeaa I'm out too, might try to finish an oldie I was working for, as a bonus entry. Just really I had like 4 ideas that stopped at like 1-2 areas and couldnt really come up with the rest of the layout. Always next year though right?

You guys should do a map.

Yes, the "Black Hole" map will probably win, but it still deserves some company.

I just played "Morpheus Peak Final", and "UFFOv2".

Very fine pieces of work. And you still have 2 weeks. :-)

Two weeks, two weeks ...
Last edited by jmartin on Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

jmartin wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:24 pm Two weeks, two weeks ...

Well played!!! :lol2: I love this scene.
ExpEM
Adept

Post by ExpEM »

Sorry all but it looks like I'm going to have to withdraw from this years competition, I simply do not have the time to finish the planned map. Between 3rd child and all the overtime at work before the xmas / new years shutdown I have no time to map.

I will eventually get the map done.
If I find the time I'll pop out a token map to bolster the ranks.
Signature goes here.
SteadZ
Average
Personal rank: 1337

Post by SteadZ »

More like 2 and a half weeks :P

Still, really need to get my ass in gear and finish this damn entry..
"The problem with dreams is... you never know when you're gonna wake up"

Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Map is done, just need to do a few things and get tested, this map probably won't work very good online. or maybe it will be ok. using loop movers.
Binary Space Partitioning