Now I'm thinking of making another one. My biggest obstacle and source of frustration is bot pathing, and how to get bots to move in interesting ways.
When I was making my map for the NRMC I tried using SmartAlternatePaths but they did not seem to work.
I assume that is because they work differently from AlternatePaths.
- Is there any documentation on how to use SmartAlternatePaths? I could not find any clear information.
- Can someone who uses them explain them to me, in a way that is easily understandable?
- From what I can tell the author of SmartAlternatePaths is somebody who went by the name Bot40 at beyondunreal, back in the day. Is he still around?
I still don't have a clear understanding of SelectionWeight when it comes AlternatePaths, Priority when it comes to DefensePoints, or MaxDesireability when it comes to weapons & pickups
What is the appropriate number range for these values? From 0.0 to 1.0? From 0 to 10? From 0 to 100?
Without any context of how the values are tabulated/calculated, any numbers I use are guess work. This trial-and-error method extremely time consuming, and my main discouragment from making more maps.
I can never seem to get my bots to snipe
My understanding of how it works:
Place an AmbushPoint where you want your bot to snipe from
- Set AmbushPoint > bSniping to true
- Set AmbushPoint > SightRadius to the appropriate distance
- For CTF go to AmbushPoint > DefensePoint > Team and set the correct Team number
- Make sure the AmbushPoint is within the collision radius of the DistanceViewTrigger
- Give the DistanceViewTrigger a Tag (like "snipeThoseBlueGuys")
- In CTF use a TeamTrigger (counter-intuitively, set TeamTrigger > Team to the team that you DON'T want it to detect. In other words, set it to the same team number as your sniper)
- Give the trigger an appropriate collision radius
- Make sure the TeamTrigger > Event matches the DistanceViewTrigger tag ("snipeThoseBlueGuys") - you should see a line connecting the two actors
How do I get bots to pick up the sniper rifle?
Does the rifle have to be at the ambush point?
I've put the sniper rifle nearby (~512uu) and cranked up the MaxDesireability. When I view paths, the AmbushPoint and Sniper Rifle are connected. But bots will pass the rifle without picking it up.
Thanks in advance for any/all information - or links to resources that have this information.