Need help on how to fix a model

Search and find cool skins and models, or introduce your own ones!
Shin Xan
Novice

Need help on how to fix a model

Post by Shin Xan »

Hi! While using the Slith Player model from AlCapowned, I noticed it seems to lack an animation for when it's killed with the minigun or pulse laser, and the model just freezes in place and stays there.

I have no idea how to model or skin, but fiddling with UnrealED, loaded the actor (Pawn/Tournament Player/Male/Slith), and got to an Animation sequences section, where there's a bunch of numbered "death" lines with frames assigned to them. My idea was, if I knew which one of all the deathX is the one for dying with the minigun, I could replace it by copying the frames from another death animation into it. I'm I too far off? ha,ha.

I dunno if that is the way to "fix it", so I'm asking for help on how to do it, as I like the model. :help:

Also, is there a Unreal 1 Brute player model for UT99?
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: Need help on how to fix a model

Post by OjitroC »

Shin Xan wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:08 pm if I knew which one of all the deathX is the one for dying with the minigun, I could replace it by copying the frames from another death animation into it. I'm I too far off? ha,ha.
Looks like it is Death9 as that has only one frame and so that would result in the freezing - all the other death anims have 13 frames.

I don't think you can just copy animation frames - I would imagine that that is pretty complicated. An easier solution may be to subclass the model and alter the code so that another death sequence is called for a repeater death in the PlayDying function (which is actually in Botpack.TournamentPlayer and Botpack.MaleBotPlus).

AlCapowned is a member here so you could send him a PM - he's (more) active on OldUnreal or UnrealSP so you could ask about it there.
Shin Xan wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:08 pm Also, is there a Unreal 1 Brute player model for UT99?
Not as far as I know - I have a vague memory of a Brute bot in a particular map but, as I can't remember the name of the map, that's no help - I remember being curious about it at the time but don't think I went so far as to try to extract it or the code.
Shin Xan
Novice

Post by Shin Xan »

Thanks a lot for info! I didn't think he was still active, I'll try to reach him then.

As for the brute, I remember seeing a screenshot from UT with a brute in it as a kid, and looking on the net from where it came from obsessively with no luck. Thinking back on it, it must have been a screenshot of an invasion mod or something like that, as it was a small and blurry image on a magazine about UT past it's release date, so it could have been talking about the game's mod capabilities.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Shin Xan wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:27 am
As for the brute, I remember seeing a screenshot from UT with a brute in it as a kid, and looking on the net from where it came from obsessively with no luck. Thinking back on it, it must have been a screenshot of an invasion mod or something like that, as it was a small and blurry image on a magazine about UT past it's release date, so it could have been talking about the game's mod capabilities.
I think Leo(T.C.K) has posted images like that on OldUnreal in the past - at least I vaguely remember seeing something like the image you describe taken from a magazine and he's the most likely person to have posted it.
NemesisNeS
Experienced
Personal rank: GOD, not Godlike

Post by NemesisNeS »

Dunno if this is what you're looking for https://unrealarchive.org/skins/unreal- ... 908ad.html

Or you could always try https://disk.yandex.com/d/dRh7aast39NZMx?ncrnd=8754, but I believe that it comes with a ton of other bot files.
I'll check it out and get back to you first, before you go snagging excess stuff you don't need. But definitely check out the first site. :highfive:
Feeling the urge to kill people who put up links with advertisements....
:instagib2:
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

NemesisNeS wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:49 am Or you could always try https://disk.yandex.com/d/dRh7aast39NZMx?ncrnd=8754, but I believe that it comes with a ton of other bot files.
I can confirm that there is no Brute player model in that archive (I've gone through it mainly looking for models that I didn't have).
NemesisNeS
Experienced

Post by NemesisNeS »

Ah okay! I thought that there would have been but fell asleep last night after I posted. Worse case I can try to snag it directly and put a more updated skeleton mesh, although it will take time since I'm still learning all the tricks of the trade when it comes to UE.
AlCapowned
Experienced
Personal rank: Layman

Post by AlCapowned »

It's been such a long time since I worked on that one, I'm not sure if I still have the source files around. If I can find them, I'll try fixing it.
Shin Xan
Novice

Post by Shin Xan »

AlCapowned wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:44 am It's been such a long time since I worked on that one, I'm not sure if I still have the source files around. If I can find them, I'll try fixing it.
Oh! I had send you a PM on OldUnreal asking about it, haha. Hope you can find them, that would be awesome!
NemesisNeS wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:49 am Dunno if this is what you're looking for https://unrealarchive.org/skins/unreal- ... 908ad.html

Or you could always try https://disk.yandex.com/d/dRh7aast39NZMx?ncrnd=8754, but I believe that it comes with a ton of other bot files.
I'll check it out and get back to you first, before you go snagging excess stuff you don't need. But definitely check out the first site. :highfive:
I had seen that model before, it's just called Brute but not an actual Unreal Brute. Thanks for helping, though! :tu: I'll check that other file later, just to see if there's something interesting!
NemesisNeS
Experienced

Post by NemesisNeS »

NP mate, like I said I'll try to see if I can snag him from Unreal Gold and then just drop a UT99 skeleton on him. Might take some time since I'm still fairly new to making skins and grabbing them from other sources that are UE related. Funny thing is, I can build and even script a bloody map with ease.
AlCapowned
Experienced
Personal rank: Layman

Post by AlCapowned »

Somehow I managed to lose all my sources (including most of my 3ds Max files), so I had to export everything that was available in the u file. For some reason, the model's positioning was all screwed up, so I had to fix that and still need to fix the weapon position. In addition, I can't yet figure out why the Dead9 animation isn't working. This might take a while.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

AlCapowned wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:15 pmSomehow I managed to lose all my sources (including most of my 3ds Max files), so I had to export everything that was available in the u file. For some reason, the model's positioning was all screwed up, so I had to fix that and still need to fix the weapon position. In addition, I can't yet figure out why the Dead9 animation isn't working. This might take a while.
Speaking of fixing a model, any chance Al that you can finally fix that Player Krall after you're done with the Player Slith?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758