UGNPC.u: Not entirely sure what this is.

Discussions about UT99
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

UGNPC.u: Not entirely sure what this is.

Post by EvilGrins »

UnrealGod is a .u file that has advanced and wildly unpredictable variants of the classic Unreal1 monsters. I set 1 particular one into a Creature factory and that 1 factory will spawn varying sized monsters of the selected monster each with different weapons and abilities.

Really keeps you on your toes!

But UGNPC.u, which I haven't tried yet, is a little different.

Attaching both for analysis.
Attachments
UGNPC.zip
(1.02 MiB) Downloaded 17 times
Clip0001.png
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
NemesisNeS
Experienced
Personal rank: GOD, not Godlike

Re: UGNPC.u: Not entirely sure what this is.

Post by NemesisNeS »

Will be tinkering with this later tonight. I get the feeling I am in for a treat aren't I?
Feeling the urge to kill people who put up links with advertisements....
:instagib2:
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:41 am
... UGNPC.u, which I haven't tried yet, is a little different.
It contains a number of NPCs - all subclassed from UnrealShare.Bots - some are friendly to the Player, some not so much! They are :-

[These three Skaarj are not friendly - inf means Infantry]
UGNPC.Dominus (skaarj inf with ripper)
UGNPC.Eradicus (skaarj inf with UT flak cannon)
UGNPC.Vindicus (skaarj inf with RL)

[These two humans are not friendly]
UGNPC.Arcturus (human male with 8ball firing explosive grenades)
UGNPC.Dante (human male with pulse rifle)

[These four humans are friendly and will follow/support the Player]
UGNPC.Ash (supportive human male with stinger)
UGNPC.Rhiannon (supportive human female with shock rifle)
UGNPC.Sonya (supportive human female with UT minigun)
UGNPC.Kurgan (supportive human male no weapon - NOT USE [this means I don't use it in MonsterSpawn as it has no weapon])

So they all have specific attitudes to the Player; they all carry specific/individual weapons; they all say specific/individual things on specific actions (FirstSee, FirstHit, Ignore, etc, etc) so, for example, Rhiannon says "What are you up to?" when first meeting the Player (in text, not an actual voice); they all have names. They don't respawn when killed but their health regenerates by what looks like 1HP per sec when damaged. They don't appear in the Scoreboard in DM nor as Players in MH.

I use the aggressive ones in MonsterSpawn - the friendly NPCs can, perhaps, be used in maps where the Player requires support (the weapon they use, what they drop when killed and what they say are some of the 'things' that can be altered in that kind of situation) - the extent to which they follow the Player will depend on the pathing of course - but they are very aggressive towards any threat to the Player. They will attack the Player if shot by the Player (not if it is just a stray one shot, when they will suggest that the Player should be more careful as it were, but if it is a sustained burst of fire).

Just to note -

your screenshot is of part of UnrealGod and not UGNPC.u - those UG classes are shown there because something in in UGNPC uses something from them. The UGNPC classes are to be found under Bots higher up in the tree.

UTPT reveals some properties (like the messsages, grudge time, etc) that don't appear when viewing the classes in the Editor - I was unable to find them anywhere when looking in the Editor.

There is other 'stuff' in UGNPC.u - mainly related to the UG Boss - includes effects, projectiles and other things.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Interesting, offers possible creative mapping options.
OjitroC wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:12 pmyour screenshot is of part of UnrealGod and not UGNPC.u - those UG classes are shown there because something in in UGNPC uses something from them. The UGNPC classes are to be found under Bots higher up in the tree.
Saw that and was confused as I didn't open UnrealGod to get that view. I opened UGNPC.

Guess that means the UGNPC-brutes are not at all helpful.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:40 pm Interesting, offers possible creative mapping options.
It does, certainly worth eperimenting with. Though one would need to ensure that the appropriate stuff is in mylevel or in the zip as UGNPC.u is dependent on UnrealGod.u (and possibly other things?).
EvilGrins wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:40 pm Guess that means the UGNPC-brutes are not at all helpful.
There aren't any UGNPC-brutes - there is a UnrealGod.UGBrute (plus LesserBrute and Behemoth). Something in UGNPC is dependent on something used by the UnrealGod classes that appear in the Actor tree when UGNPC.u is opened.
NemesisNeS
Experienced

Post by NemesisNeS »

Okay, so from my understanding of this, UnrealGod gives more challenging features to the playing field and UGNPC just adds more data to the UnrealGod.u file? Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't that unbalance the game if you changed the initial settings in the console itself and load these up, or is this something more standalone in the sense that it will create more of a challenge to players looking for a more intensifying fight and/or support?
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

NemesisNeS wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:34 amCorrect me if I am wrong, but wouldn't that unbalance the game?
I love, and collect, monsters that are REALLY hard to beat; I love the challenge.

So, yes... and that's a good thing.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

NemesisNeS wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:34 am Okay, so from my understanding of this, UnrealGod gives more challenging features to the playing field and UGNPC just adds more data to the UnrealGod.u file? Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't that unbalance the game if you changed the initial settings in the console itself and load these up, or is this something more standalone in the sense that it will create more of a challenge to players looking for a more intensifying fight and/or support?
UnrealGod is a gametype mod - it's not something I have ever played but it appears to be based on a ladder of default UT maps in which UG monsters and items would be spawned - the object appears to be to work one's way up the ladder going from map/level to map/level, gaining experience points on the way (possibly also gaining god powers though I'm not sure about that). The documentation that comes with the mod is sadly underwhelming in that there is no overview of the mod or of its form and objectives (though there is a useful list of summons for all the UG 'stuff', not just the monsters).

As with EG, my interest is solely* in the ScriptedPawns/monsters that the mod contains - in my case to use in MonsterSpawn. The UG monsters may appear in some MH maps and there is also a separate package, made by hellumcat, of flying insects based on the UG flies (this can be found on this forum).

Like EG, I love ScriptedPawns though not if they are really hard to beat :P Hard to beat and interesting is enough for me :)

*I have used some of the more unusual projectiles for other subclassed default scriptedpawns (a gas emitting slith anyone?) - so my interest is a little broader than that and extends to skins, sounds and similar stuff.
NemesisNeS
Experienced

Post by NemesisNeS »

Ah okay. The reason why I asked is mostly because I didn't want to add something that could cause a complete unbalance of the game (If I ever decide to run a server, or at the very least run a lan party that would make players feel uncomfortable.) With that said I will test it out thoroughly. My next question is will it work well with other mods, but I'll be testing that myself and posting any errors, bugs, etc., etc. So far I got U4e, MH, CTF4, FB, BR, SinUT, OldSkool, and AM Ladder, with Chaos UT. I might put back in Perfect Dark, that was a fun mod with a Goldeneye mod with matrix moves. This will be an added bonus. Thanks again for the info. Happy gaming!
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

NemesisNeS wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:53 pm My next question is will it work well with other mods, but I'll be testing that myself and posting any errors, bugs, etc., etc.
It looks to me as though it will not work well with other mods - just basic UT - you can probably use Relics and a regen should you wish but beyond that, probably no - not even weapons mods. You can add maps to the map list though. It's more a standalone gametype for playing against the UG/UGNPC scriptedpawns (you can, of course, use the latter in other mods). This is informed speculation based on reading what documenation there is and looking through the .u files.
NemesisNeS
Experienced

Post by NemesisNeS »

Makes sense, glad for the help on this one. Didn't want crash/rage if something went wrong. Don't mind trial and error, but sheesh. Anyway, since it's a standalone I'll more than likely test some of the vanilla mutators and as you suggest will add it to maps as I deem fit. I thumbed through the .u file and man it's a lot of info, but you are right though, the author should have included some more detailed documentation.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:56 amLike EG, I love ScriptedPawns
It has Giant Pupae that jump REALLY HIGH and can climb walls!
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

NemesisNeS wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:59 pm Makes sense, glad for the help on this one. Didn't want crash/rage if something went wrong. Don't mind trial and error, but sheesh. Anyway, since it's a standalone I'll more than likely test some of the vanilla mutators and as you suggest will add it to maps as I deem fit. I thumbed through the .u file and man it's a lot of info, but you are right though, the author should have included some more detailed documentation.
I'm not sure the mod works - it seems to be missing UGPossessor.u (at least I don't have it and it's not in the archive at ut-files) - there's an .int but no .u file.
EvilGrins wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:10 pm
OjitroC wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:56 amLike EG, I love ScriptedPawns
It has Giant Pupae that jump REALLY HIGH and can climb walls!
Yeah, there's a few things from UnrealGod that I don't use and that is one of them - I may love ScriptedPawns but I certainly don't love pupae, giant or otherwise :P TBH my heart sinks when I fire up a 'new' MH and in the first room are .... yes ... pupae - what comes next is a toss up between flies and mantas - not the kind of map that I play.
NemesisNeS
Experienced

Post by NemesisNeS »

OjitroC wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:23 pm I'm not sure the mod works - it seems to be missing UGPossessor.u (at least I don't have it and it's not in the archive at ut-files) - there's an .int but no .u file.
Not to worry, I'll more than likely either add UGPossessor.u or I might create one from scratch if need be. Still have a great deal of tinkering with it before I do that though. I would like to know who the author is so this way we can coordinate on all of the functionality of UnrealGod and UGNPC and get a full text file that helps players understand what they have in their hands and what they're in store for.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

NemesisNeS wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:02 pm I would like to know who the author is so this way we can coordinate on all of the functionality of UnrealGod and UGNPC and get a full text file that helps players understand what they have in their hands and what they're in store for.
Well, the author of the Entry map that comes with the mod is TrodKnee, who may or may not be the author of the rest of the mod. Since it dates from 2003 it is probably unlikely that the author(s) is still active in UT.