-= The UT99.org 2021 Mapping Contest =-

General Announcements about Unreal Tournament and UT99.org
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Re: 2021 NRMC map release thread (put maps here!)

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

papercoffee wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:17 am
PrinceOfFunky wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:02 am Well, I'm still packing the textures altogether, not sure if hopes are lost at this point lol.
I made the same mistake and corrected it ...keep your discussions here please.
The other thread is for submissions only.
Wait... what do you mean with "other"? Isn't this the submissions thread? I posted the submission here o.o Oh gawd, this rush turned me blind.

I also published it on here: viewtopic.php?p=133103#p133103 Not sure if the one I published before should be deleted.
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: -= The UT99.org 2021 Mapping Contest =-

Post by papercoffee »

it can stay here...
But if you going to edit the map change only the submission post in the submission thread with a note of an update.
We want to see if we can avoid overlooking maps which were submitted and then not included into the map pack because we didn't remember which map is where to find.
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

Wow!!! Berserker's map lives up to the hype!!! What a beauty. :rock: If this is not a reason to go 469, I don't know what is. :lol2:
EDIT: Played Trident too!!! Really nice!!! Liked that blueish damage amplifier. 8)
ExpEM
Adept

Post by ExpEM »

I managed to scrape in an entry / bonus map.
Requires Unreal though...
autoplay-2021_12_19_13_1_14_589.png
autoplay-2021_12_19_13_1_27_573.png
autoplay-2021_12_19_13_1_43_372.png
autoplay-2021_12_19_13_2_21_339.png
Signature goes here.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

@_21
Wow ...I know for sure the UEd-Goblin hates that kind of architecture. Well done from the look of it.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

@Berserker sorry dude but if this map was started 4 months ago, its only a bonus map.

"- Must be an original map started by scratch during the contest, not a clone of an existing one (maps started before the contest are accepted as Bonus Maps for the final mappack, however)"
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

4 Months for doing this ???
HighTown_rc3.PNG
MapGarbage wrote: CTFReport: --- Reporting AlternatePaths setup: ---
CTFReport: For Team 0 = 0 pieces.
CTFReport: For Team 1 = 0 pieces.
NoIncomingPath: InventorySpot349 is not having incoming connections.
NoIncomingPath: InventorySpot351 is not having incoming connections.
NoIncomingPath: InventorySpot408 is not having incoming connections.
NoIncomingPath: InventorySpot410 is not having incoming connections.
To me this is not finished.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike

Post by UnrealGGecko »

It does say RC1 (release candidate 1) to be fair.

I'll do the poll tomorrow...
[~]RUFX[~]RoninMastaFX
Experienced
Personal rank: UT Veteran & Mapper

Post by [~]RUFX[~]RoninMastaFX »

I just wanted to say a huge congrats to everyone who participated in the contest and to those who provided bonus maps! This mappack is going to be sweet. :)

I will test the maps out in the coming 1-3 days, then I'll vote and I'll leave a review for as many maps as I can.

Cheers everyone! 🍻 You made it all worthwhile. :tu: :mrgreen:
Berserker
Experienced

Post by Berserker »

sektor2111 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:52 am 4 Months for doing this ???
HighTown_rc3.PNG
MapGarbage wrote: CTFReport: --- Reporting AlternatePaths setup: ---
CTFReport: For Team 0 = 0 pieces.
CTFReport: For Team 1 = 0 pieces.
NoIncomingPath: InventorySpot349 is not having incoming connections.
NoIncomingPath: InventorySpot351 is not having incoming connections.
NoIncomingPath: InventorySpot408 is not having incoming connections.
NoIncomingPath: InventorySpot410 is not having incoming connections.
To me this is not finished.
Yeah sorry about the crappy botpathing, majority of the time went into the texture making, which took majority of the time to make this map.
Sorry about that sektor, In general, I don't quite understand botpathing theory and I will be greatefull if you can teach me me some very "basic" botpathing management and tricks.

Can you look around my map in Ued and let me know what exactly is wrong with my botpathing so I can learn? (Let me know in the botpathing thread).

Automatically merged

UnrealGGecko wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:38 am @Berserker sorry dude but if this map was started 4 months ago, its only a bonus map.

"- Must be an original map started by scratch during the contest, not a clone of an existing one (maps started before the contest are accepted as Bonus Maps for the final mappack, however)"
What happened here? I am not quite sure what to say to these news when I woke up.. I barely slept to finish this map for the contest and I got a panic attack when I just heard the news.

Yes, I did say 4 months months in the making - September October November December (but not 4 months total).
If I remember correctly, the contest started this September, I even started my map a little later when the contest was announced. So to be clear, this map was made from scratch, because of the contest and for the contest. Thankfully I have a strange habbit of saving every change I do to my maps and ended up with 216 .unr files, so we can trace exactly when I started making the map. When I start making new maps, I always label them with -100 at the end and then I start to slowly save other versions counting from 100 upwards:

The very first concept of my map was called HeightownTDN and was started 4 months ago, around 1 week later After the contest was announced. Here is what the map looked like, I had no particular direction for the map yet:

And here is what the last files of the map looked like, I put the NRMC name and logo texture at the last versions of the map, before releasing it to the public as RC.
Visit us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/fcRakgNCjR Image
UnrealGGecko
Godlike

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Sincere apologies for this then, back in the contest you go @Berserker , good thing I waited for the poll.
When you mentioned 4 months I thought you started at August, before the contest began. 100% my fault on this one, I am very sorry and thank you for clearing it up. :thuup:

I put that as one of the few rules just to avoid someone posting an old wip close to completion and sweeping the contest with that map.
Berserker
Experienced

Post by Berserker »

UnrealGGecko wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:24 pm Sincere apologies for this then, back in the contest you go @Berserker , good thing I waited for the poll.
When you mentioned 4 months I thought you started at August, before the contest began. 100% my fault on this one, I am very sorry and thank you for clearing it up. :thuup:

I put that as one of the few rules just to avoid someone posting an old wip close to completion and sweeping the contest with that map.
No problem, thank you!
I'd also like to ask if it's possible to do some fixes to the map. There are couple of bugs with the map I was not able to catch yesterday. I noticed 2 small invisible walls that block you and some problems with the botpath work. Let me know if it is allowed to fix these things as RC4 and update my post.

invisible walls ^
Visit us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/fcRakgNCjR Image
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Berserker wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:36 pm I'd also like to ask if it's possible to do some fixes to the map. There are couple of bugs with the map I was not able to catch yesterday. I noticed 2 small invisible walls that block you and some problems with the botpath work. Let me know if it is allowed to fix these things as RC4 and update my post.
Technically it's still the 19th so untill the day ends ... hurry.

But after the 19th keep the fixes till after the votes.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

@Berserker... Let's see a couple of things.
#1 I think this type of map can be winner - at least from me this is what I see here regarding to aspect;
I'm saying can be a Winner map because it has a few quirks at BSP - geometry with other words;
#2 This is whatever Ledge blocking that small ramp - but still there can be a Path.
HighTown_rc3_0.PNG
Doing path over there is doable by probing nodes in Editor, Moving top node, probing again until movement test returns a positive result. Testing these cannot be done with Plain Editor - only by rebuilding all paths multiple times. I'm using currently my builder called XC_PathsWorker powered by XC_Engine v24. When I got a positive result I demanded connection manually. Path is usable - a Bot defender tracking me with flag used that ramp and... killed me. Actually pathing is somehow solved.
#3 Those blue lines from previous picture are Paths - THROUGH BUILDINGS - because this is not how to setup combos - plain stock maps are having samples with and without a lift DM-Deck16][, CTF-Coret, CTF-Gauntlet, and so on. Without doing settings Mover.Tag == Combo(LE-LC-LE).LiftTag for each group, these are connected through walls creating paths even out of network references space, junk data with no use, and these paths are not having movement capabilities through walls.
#4 I was toying a bit here with those nice flames (I lie, not nice but VERY NICE). Perhaps my code would be similar to those water-waves presented in another topic.
By example in Network play these I think won't stress server at all - available for all flames:

Code: Select all

class FlameCylinder5 expands actor;
simulated function PostBeginPlay() //Dual execution called
{
    Super.PostBeginPlay();
	if ( Level.NetMode != NM_DedicatedServer ) //Execute animation - except dedicated server
	    LoopAnim('All',animrate+ FRand()*0.1,0.1);
}
These actors can be delegated to be bNoDelete and so they will stay where they are permanently without to be recreated by network client, and they are animating only in Client, in server nothing can be seen. I'm not sure if "Super.PostBeginPlay()" is even needed here. Probably this is what I'm expecting in a contest - something rarely done or never done, mainly a new thing looking good, so to speak a newer idea. A new thing is probably the factor which is pushing a map on top.
#5 For Paths-Net - I played some 25-33 games with Paths reduced at 1532 ReachSpecs (Original has 3338 ReachSpecs) - more paths were just buggers through walls. By solving problem and using high skilled Bots map goes to another level of challenge.
This is not only Bot Support - but (:joking:) I think this is Roof Support too...
HighTown_rc3_1.PNG
In order to cause a sort of random assault of the Flag, in CTF maps is recommended usage of AlternatePath actors. Community has even dynamic AlternatePaths known as SmartAlternatePath (fixed of course).
If that BSP problem will be solved it will be OKAY, if Not, for me it's not a critical situation, I can accept this map exactly as it is.
For me this map if goes with BSP issues fixed, is Number One in this Contest - either way it's somewhere in top 3.

Edit: I am requesting your permission for using your flames combined with a dynamic light - in whatever future. I want to see if I can do a real fire effect. I did whatever dynamic light using a TorchFlame - but your flames are looking more realistic...
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

Sektor, come on... :facepalm:
Cut these people some slack, seriously, you can worry about the bot pathing much later. They are doing their best against a deadline.