-- NRMC poll! Vote here! --

General Announcements about Unreal Tournament and UT99.org
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Re: -- NRMC poll! Vote here! --

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Yes, look at the 1st post of the main thread, they are bonus maps :)

EDIT: finally tried all the maps, extremely tough choice this year, had like 7 maps all in my head I thought would be a worthy pick for a vote, but in the end I went with...:

DM-NRMC-Vakiton by [~]RUFX[~]RoninMastaFX
AS-NRMC-Rendezvous by Aspide
CTF-NRMC-Hightown by Berserker
Heck I might still change my mind LOL
Pikko
Skilled
Personal rank: Old ClanMan

Post by Pikko »

My Vote! :D :tu:

DM-NMRC-Trident by _21

Nice Work ! :rock:
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

DM-NMRC-Trident by _21
DM-NRMC-Outreach by Sinnical
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Lots of fine maps to choose from - extremely difficult to make a decision but, after much deliberation, my choices are

_21
Average

Post by _21 »

Wanted to play a few more matches on them before I decide but I should cast some votes before it's too late:

DM-NRMC-LongTime by Shrimp
DM-NRMC-BlueBriar][ by Pikko
CTF-NRMC-Gravitation by fudgonaut
Aspide
Skilled

Post by Aspide »

Here are my picks:

Now for my reviews of each map:
Spoiler
DM-NRMC-LongTime by Kenneth "Shrimp" Watson

Awesome seeing Shrimp back, I'm a big fan of MonsterHunt and also some of his maps (my personal favorite is MH-Forbidden). This map might be his best work yet, nice layout, good weapon placement and the environments are simple but efective, in other words a classic map. The only nitpick I have is the choice of music, don't get me wrong I love Razorback but after downloading so many custom maps I became tired of listening to it over and over again...

DM-NRMC-Outpost24 by Ghostwheel

Another great map, Ghostwheel has made many maps (including DM-OctagunArena which is a childhood favorite of mine) but this one has to be the best, the layout is simple but with a lot of options to give it complexity. The choice of music was great, I was skeptical at first but it won me over after a couple of matches. I noticed that the bots don't go to the rooftop as much as I would have wanted and also the death messages when someone touches the electric fence are weird. This map is dedicated to Evil_Darkwatch who died because of COVID-19, R.I.P. , something tells me he would have loved this map.

fudgonaut is a newcomer when it comes to maps, but this map doesn't fell like it was made by one. As evident by this map, fudgonaut will become a force to be reckoned with in the future. The most impressive things are the textures and the infamous black hole. The music fits the map very well (even though the quality may not be the best) and the bots are decent. However this map suffers from strange AlternatePaths implementation and also the bots get stuck on the rooftop of the center area, the PressureZone is also something that bothers me (because the death messages don't work very well). But overall is a fun map that definitely will leave an impression on you.

DM-NRMC-BlueBriar][ by Dr.Pikko

Pikko strikes again with another solid DM map, Pikko is like a machinegun when it comes to making maps, I don't know how Pikko makes so many maps in such short time (Pikko made THREE maps for this contest, but one was cut because of technical problems). Good layout, good choice of music, good textures and powerups everywhere. When it comes to DM this map is as pure as it gets.

DM-NRMC-ShardLab3 by Steve "Red_Fist" Quist

Always looking forward to a map made by Red_Fist because his maps are so unique (also I have a soft spot with the Quake maps conversions he did a long time ago), this map stays true to the tradition: colorful, lots of decorations, cubic rooms and movers beyond bot comprehension. This map is a lot of fun even though the level design is simple, bots are ok but they cannot move around the map successfully because of how the movers work. Also the music track is good but whenever I play this map I'm always reminded of three wheels turning (Wheels.umx).

DM-NRMC-WestSideStory by Jeff "jmartin" Martin

An interesting addition to the contest, the 1961 film adaptation of West Side Story is still regarded as one of the best musical films of all time, so this is a lovely tribute. However that is the only thing this map does, pay tribute to the film but as a map there is no gameplay whatsoever. This map could be a decent flyby map, but definitely not a DM map.

DM-NRMC-Vakiton by Mitchell "[~]RUFX[~]RoninMastaFX" LeBlanc

Now this map is one of the best in this contest, is an excellently crafted dm map with a lot of thought put in the layout. I had no choice but to play the "NoOutside" version of this map because the game crashed constantly.... ouch. The music track is excellent (this song was made specifically for this map, awesome). My only complain is that the lighting is very bland, but ironically that improves the gameplay, because players stick out like a sore thumb, still the lighting could have been better. This map is also dedicated to Evil_Darkwatch.

DM-NRMC-SuperMarioBros by David Lightman

A lovely recreation of the first four stages of the original Super Mario Bros from top to bottom, since I'm a big fan of the Mario franchise this map was an amazing nostalgia trip (also love the skybox). This map reminds me of a custom map for UT3 that did the same thing (UT2D-SuperMario_Beta). However this map has some problems: players don't jump high enough so the map is very difficult to play (even with the jumpmatch mutator), bot support is basic and there is no music. This map could be a great SP2D map (a custom singleplayer gametype) because of the way the map is designed.

AS-NRMC-Rendezvous by Matias "Aspide" Mulliez

This map SUCKS, I'm personally offended by this map existence, UNSUBSCRIBED..... Joking aside my map is pretty good, still falling behind when it comes to appearances especially when it comes to textures but at least I'm getting more comfortable making complex brushes. The bots are pretty good in this map and the music choices are fantastic especially Black Hole Sunscreen (I wanted to use something from the cancelled UT4), however this map is very non-traditional when it comes to Assault so many people will understandably become alienated by this map.

Fun Fact: Since this is my first multiplayer map for UT99, I wanted to do something simple like DM, however I recalled from previous contests that not that many people make Assault maps, so I changed my mind.

DM-NRMC-Rocketfight_X by papercoffee

A very good effort considering it was made in four hours. This map could be a lot of fun online with a lot of players and a mutator so that the Redeemers have 1 second of RespawnTime. Unfortunately the bots cannot play this map at all.
Also this map doesn't have music.

DM-NMRC-Trident by _21

Simplicity beauty at its best, the layout blends well to some good DM matches, also love the choice of music. Not bad for a first time mapper (as far as I know). I only wished the bots paid more attention to the PulseGun area, but that's my only complain.

DOM-NRMC-Cathode by Francesco "PrinceOfFunky" Biscazzo

I will give this map a lot of credit, on the one hand this map is one of the most unique maps I have ever played (especially when it comes to Domination maps), the idea of the control points moving around alongside the healthpacks is amazing and the bots are surprisingly good at playing this map. However there a some big issues: no screenshot, no music and the FPS are so bad that this map is unplayable. All this map needs is a little polish and it could be one of the most original and fun maps out there.

CTF-NRMC-Hightown by Berserker_BG

I'm not to familiar with Berserker's work (I think this is Berserker's first map), but that's not important because this map is a masterpiece. This is CTF in its purest form, good layout, nice environments, good weapon placement. The map also has great bot support, it even has a custom actor to allow bots to jump from one place to another. Also nice work when it comes to meshes, it really makes this one of the best looking maps of the contest. The music fits the map well but this map is begging for a custom track.

Sinnical is one of my favorite mappers, DM-20AC-Recourse][ and CTF-Esper-v2 have a special place in my heart (especially Esper, is a childhood favorite of mine). So I knew this one is going to be one of the best. I was right, Sinnical's level design is in another level, open environments with a lot of verticality, powerups in dangerous spots and awesome bot support, also the music track fits very well. I only have two complains with this map: one is that I found the lighting of the map very dark, I'm not sure if this was intentional or not. Secondly, Sinnical, what kind of demon possessed you to make you put a DoubleEnforcer in the map ?

BONUS MAPS !!!!

DM-NRMC-DeepDream][ by Dr.Pikko

Pikko does it again, a very simple and enjoyable DM map with a lot of open room for sniper fun. Strangely I enjoyed this map more than BlueBriar][, I think is because this one is more of an arena compared to the other one.
No complains from this one.

NRMC-ExpEM by Michael "ExpEM" Nunn

A recreation of Shane Caudle's Demonlord's Lair, this map is longer and harder that it's predecessor. However there is not to much to discover in this map, the only noteworthy thing is the new Warlord class which transforms the Warlord from a worthy opponent to an instrument of death. Also beating this map in Unreal difficulty by killing the Warlord is going to be a good challenge, I haven't done it yet but I got very close.

DM-NRMC-The-Overlook-Hotel by David Lightman

All work and no play makes jack a dull boy
Spoiler
Joking aside, this is a great map. The Overlook Hotel was recreated perfectly, and there is some great attention to detail. The blood in the elevator was a favorite part of mine. However this is not my kind of map, this a sniper heaven type of map, which is why I recommend changing all weapons to the sniper rifle. Also the name of the file has an issue, the NRMC part should come right after the gametype prefix.
Oh and before I forget, Merry Christmas everybody :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Somewhere in Nevada...
Dark191
Personal rank: DXMPer

Post by Dark191 »

My Votes:

DM-NMRC-Trident by _21
waxgoat
Novice

Post by waxgoat »

esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

_21 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:07 am Wanted to play a few more matches on them before I decide but I should cast some votes before it's too late:
Having the same issue.

#1 CTF-NRMC-Hightown by Berserker
#2 DM-NRMC-Trident by _21
#3 DM-NRMC-BlueBriar by Pikko
Berserker
Experienced

Post by Berserker »

DOM-NRMC-Cathode by PrinceOfFunky
Visit us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/fcRakgNCjR Image
banny

Post by banny »

Waylander
Novice

Post by Waylander »

DOM-NRMC-Cathode by PrinceOfFunky
asosed
Adept

Post by asosed »

DM-NMRC-Trident by _21
Sinnical
Average

Post by Sinnical »

My Votes:

DM-NRMC-LongTime by Shrimp

Props to the folks who really embraced the "no rules" aspect though. Shout out to Cathode and West Side Story XD
Also I thought Mario Bros would just be one original level... that was a fun surprise!
Shrimp
Adept

Post by Shrimp »

Lots of interesting ideas on show here. But I settled on these.

ShrimpWorks
Unreal Archive - preserving over 25 years of user-created content for the Unreal series!