Unreal Tournament gun sounds. Did they ever change?

Discussions about UT99
caiusmisus
Novice

Re: Unreal Tournament gun sounds. Did they ever change?

Post by caiusmisus »

A little bump just to refresh this. Being so close to experiencing my memories again after all this time, I'm not going to drop the subject that easily :)

Don't know whether gecko already sent it to Delacroix or not, but again, would also love to get this version, if possible.

Thanks and sorry for double post.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Will try to find it this weekend, only have access to the PC then.
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

Fine. The thing is, I know that it is basically trying to scratch that nostalgia itch. Cause I am definitely convinced that as a bootleg, it is an inferior crippled "version". Those weird pitch changed cut offs low quality sounds? That is exactly what happens when you try to fit files into limited space, when you badly compress, the quality suffers. That is exactly what a bootleg is. :wth:

Automatically merged

In the end, you are looking far and wide for something like this. But hey, if it makes people happy... :noidea
UnrealGGecko
Godlike

Post by UnrealGGecko »

:mad2: Firstly, TankBeef, how dare you...
Thats my introduction to UT, and I wont allow you to say such a thing. Without it I wouldnt be in this forum today, or have my username as UnrealGGecko.

Anyways... FOUND THE CD! sent it to @Delacroix and gonna give the link to the OP for him to check, think the only file that failed to get copied was AS-Rook, but I dont remember that map ever working on this version anyways LOL.
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

UnrealGGecko wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:49 pm :mad2: Firstly, TankBeef, how dare you...
Sorry... :noidea
caiusmisus
Novice

Post by caiusmisus »

Many thanks to Gecko for sharing. I can confirm that the sounds are definitely the ones that I remembered.

Only one minor thing seems different. I think I remember the menu splash screen working in the version I had (when starting the game or when pausing while in-game) while in here, it starts black and then retains the image that was on the screen last.

But that's a very minor difference. Otherwise, everything else is there. The sounds, the buggy high res textures, music only in exactly the same maps I remember etc.

As far as the music goes, the files are there for all the tracks, but only the 2 mentioned previously work. If you try to play any other in a media player, it throws an error, so that is the reason why they don't play in-game. They are broken somehow....

Same as Gecko, this is what started my UT love, so it's incredible to be able to relive the memories. Will definitely keep it around just for nostalgia's sake. So glad some light was finally shed on this mystery that has been haunting me for years.
UnrealGGecko wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:49 pm think the only file that failed to get copied was AS-Rook, but I dont remember that map ever working on this version anyways LOL.
Now I am sure that I played this map in the ripped version that I had. So we must have had at least slightly different versions of the same-ish rip. I finished the campaign numerous times in that version, which I assume is impossible in this as Rook is missing and Rook was also present in the Assault ladder. Would it be possible to just copy the map from the official version I also have installed and would it work? Guess I'll just have to try :D

EDIT:
Good, just copying the map from UT in Unreal Anthology did the trick. Tried doing some alchemy and managed to get the High Quality World textures working in the ripped version by copying the texture files from the Anthology install but some things are still broken, like Flags, explosions and some other effects. High Detail Skin Textures are even stranger. Character textures are fine, but most weapons and pickups still fail to load High Quality Textures. Medium textures still work without issues. Not sure if the HQ texture problem is solvable in this rip.

Music can be restored by simply copying the music from the Anthology install.

But the strangest thing about it is that all the files are there, music, textures, sounds, pretty much everything, AND with the same file sizes as from an official release. If it was not modified to save space, one has to wonder about the reasoning behind it and more importantly, why don't those things work when they're there.

It would also be great if someone more versed in audio could identify the reason that that sounds are different, even though the sound files are (from what I can see) the same. Except for there being 2 extra files in the rip. Screenshot is the Sounds folder from UT from Unreal Anthology on the left and the ripped version on the right.
Attachments
sounds.jpg
UnrealGGecko
Godlike

Post by UnrealGGecko »

The menu thing might be just me messing with the settings, I tend to prefer it like that, can easily change that back in the menu dropdowns :P

As for AS-Rook its likely just that the CD was heavily scratched and couldnt read it (and also I think AS-Tutorial, didnt check if that one made it in), if needed you can always copy paste from your regular UT setup lol.

I have sent that version to Delacroix as well, hope to see if he can figure it out, was gonna say maybe something like the audio renderer being outdated or the Galaxy settings fugged up, but idk.
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

Interesting. Yes, try swapping or updating the audio driver, see what happens.
Or yes, let's wait for Delacroix. (He helped me with something :) )
caiusmisus
Novice

Post by caiusmisus »

UnrealGGecko wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:35 pm The menu thing might be just me messing with the settings, I tend to prefer it like that, can easily change that back in the menu dropdowns :P

As for AS-Rook its likely just that the CD was heavily scratched and couldnt read it (and also I think AS-Tutorial, didnt check if that one made it in), if needed you can always copy paste from your regular UT setup lol.

I have sent that version to Delacroix as well, hope to see if he can figure it out, was gonna say maybe something like the audio renderer being outdated or the Galaxy settings fugged up, but idk.
Oh yeah, completely forgot about the "Show desktop" option. Never touched that before so had to go through all the dropdowns to find it. Turning that on works fine.

AS-Tutorial was indeed also missing. But again, easily solved by copying the map from elsewhere.

I never fiddled with the inner workings of UT, so looking forward to hearing some technical details about why the audio and textures behave the way they do in the rip even when the normal files are there. Most of the music files seem corrupted in some way (can't be played at all) which is why they don't work in game (except the 2 tracks).
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

Are the music files also the same size?
caiusmisus
Novice

Post by caiusmisus »

TankBeef wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:51 pm Are the music files also the same size?
Yes they are. To the byte. Yet no player will play them while those from the Anthology play just fine.

Also, tried copying the sounds from the rip into the Anthology install and the sounds did not change. So the sound files are definitely not the cause. Most likely the sound driver, as has been suggested earlier.

Played a couple of hours today with bots and I have to say it, I prefer some weapon sounds from the rip as they are much less ear grating to hear constantly while playing. I find the Minigun (both Primary and Secondary), Shock Rifle Primary, Rocket Launcher Primary and Bio Rifle somewhat annoying in the normal version of the game.
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

Not sure if I have seen that uaxrepack.exe file before. What is it for?