CTF-XV-Hydro16 (v5)

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

CTF-XV-Hydro16 (v5)

Post by Gustavo6046 »

This is a rework of the awesome level from stock UT, made to include X-Vehicles, including some relatively minor level geometry retouches to better accomodate them.

This edit also includes more inventory items to give bots more reason to wander around and possibly enter the vehicles.

(screenies are outdated and I don't feel like taking new ones yet)
Screenies!
Requires at least X-Vehicles version 15 in order to play! It is not included here.

Download from IPFS here, or from the following attachment.
Attachments
CTF-XV-Hydro16-v5.zip
(1.05 MiB) Downloaded 21 times
Last edited by Gustavo6046 on Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Buggie
Godlike

Re: CTF-XV-Hydro16

Post by Buggie »

Some notes:
Jeeps need turn in direction of move, like kraht on opposite side.
Map too small for really use vehicles.
Red tank is overkill here.
Heli too limited in height.

In fact red tank in CTF almost all time is overkill.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I wouldn't think that map is big enough for vehicles, it's barely large enough for Titans.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

It's not easy to fit them, no, but with some vertex fiddling you can make the map a little more vehicle-friendly. :)

Some of those concerns have been addressed in v3. The Tank MLs have been removed, the map's overall outdoors height increased a little (for helicopterage :D), the tank orientations fixed, and a bunch of geometry retouches and small decorations that subtly change the look and feel of the map as well. Some other bugs have been sorted out.

See the first post!
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: CTF-XV-Hydro16 (v3)

Post by OjitroC »

Gustavo6046 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:43 am It's not easy to fit them, no, but with some vertex fiddling you can make the map a little more vehicle-friendly. :)
I think the point is that the map is too small to use vehicles - there is no need to use vehicles to get from one base to another unlike Oasis or Gulch for example - the vehicles can't move around or turn easily and, in essence, their main use is as static turrets - this changes the gameplay considerably as it becomes a short range battle between high powered tanks rather than CTF.

Moreover, there are far too many vehicles in the map - one or two per team would be enough. Even then though it's not really possible to use the tanks or the helis to their full potential.
Old UT Veteran
Skilled

Post by Old UT Veteran »

Map maybe is a bit too small. For stock UT maps, perhaps ctf-crane would be a good candidate for the xvehicle helicopters. I'd be a nice concept to have 1 helicopter on each team fighting around the towers if possible.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I don't understand Brush924 and Brush930.
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

DISCLAIMER:Personal opinion. Hydro16 is a marvelously balanced map. To me, it does not need anything else. And it certainly does not need vehicles. :wth:
Now...back to our regular programming...
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Old UT Veteran wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:52 pm Map maybe is a bit too small. For stock UT maps, perhaps ctf-crane would be a good candidate for the xvehicle helicopters. I'd be a nice concept to have 1 helicopter on each team fighting around the towers if possible.
Lava GIant or Face would be good candidates, particularly the former - that's the kind of space one really needs for vehicles. See also ONS-Torlan as another example of the kind of landscape suited to tanks and helis. One can use tanks in urban settings of course but there needs to be adequate space for maneuvering and the tanks need to be able to reach most parts of the map (though not all) - some of the larger INF or TO maps may be suitable for tank (or heli) assisted battles between teams (TDM) in urban or desert areas. EpicTown would, I suppose, also lend itself to this kind of gameplay though it would have to be TDM rather than anything else.

EDIT
Actually Lava Giant is only really suited to helis - jeeps/tanks can't get through any of the tunnels in the centre so can only move with ease in the area immediately around the bases.
TankBeef wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:03 pm DISCLAIMER:Personal opinion. Hydro16 is a marvelously balanced map. To me, it does not need anything else. And it certainly does not need vehicles. :wth:
Now...back to our regular programming...
Yes, agree with that - TBH the tanks just clutter up a map like Hydro16 to no real advantage.
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

OjitroC wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:26 pm Lava GIant or Face would be good candidates, particularly the former - that's the kind of space one really needs for vehicles.
That would require even more vertex fiddling for the tanks to be able to go from base to base! I mean, I could try.
sektor2111 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:44 pm I don't understand Brush924 and Brush930.
I thought you'd be more mad at the extra paths.

Weapon of Destruction
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Gustavo6046 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:54 pm
OjitroC wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:26 pm Lava GIant or Face would be good candidates, particularly the former - that's the kind of space one really needs for vehicles.
That would require even more vertex fiddling for the tanks to be able to go from base to base! I mean, I could try.
Having actually looked at those maps, both are only suitable for helis - a tank in Face could be fun (for a while :P).
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

I'm blanking on the name right now, but one of the UTDM-monster CTF edits I did was a Face variant, but it wasn't in space... it was in a desert. Same massive amount of area, but it was all ground.

I'll go looking for it... name had "lightning" or "thunder" in it.

FOUND IT!
https://unrealarchive.org/maps/unreal-t ... 19271.html

Lots of room for vehicles, practically stretches out for "miles".
Attachments
Shot0111.png
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

A possible map for the CybotHelico is ctf-urbanhelicopterwars - it's not a particularly large map but there are helis (movers) in it already.

A very large map suitable for tanks and helis is MH-UM-Airbase
Shot00518.jpg

Konoko encounters some giant spiders
Shot00519.jpg
The map would obviously need some 'conversion' work to remove the monsters, etc - I can't find a download link for it and can't remember where I got it from so it's a bit academic.

As a matter of interest, the BlockMonsters actor prevents the tanks/helis from spawning and/or moving and pretty quickly results in their destruction (I've obviously taken it out along with most of the monsters - I think I added the spinners for a bit of fun).
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:20 pmThe map would obviously need some 'conversion' work to remove the monsters
Why remove them? Just shoot them.
OjitroC wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:20 pmA very large map suitable for tanks and helis is MH-UM-Airbase
I can't find a download link for it and can't remember where I got it from so it's a bit academic.
It's there - http://80.82.222.16/REDIRECT/UZ/?sort=n&rev=1
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

It is map AF-DM-Ressurection.
And this possible fit for conversion of CTF.