DM-AmericanSuburbs [FINAL]

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Tyr
Skilled

Re: DM-Suburbs

Post by Tyr »

Looks great!
Released:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

papercoffee wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:05 pm @sektor2111 Do you have an idea how a bot can be forced to walk/climb that kind of lattices here?
viewtopic.php?p=126602#p126602
At your service:
Before assumptions (I did not feel map yet) there are around... two (maybe more) options:
- Using Combo LiftExit-LiftCenter-LiftExit - if these are "walk-able" normally and Hit-Wall won't mess stepping - if stepping is possible;
- Using Combo LiftExit-JumpSpot-LiftExit - There will require some inventory such as Translocator UT_JumpBoots ImpactHammer.

Other "Air-Planes" in head - tested assets in whatever cases - not really identical but bad-ass ones:
- sWjumpPad by community - always good for any creature with BRAINS_Human hunting from long ranges;
- some blind teleporter which I wrote a few time ago when I was drunk - ONLY for TRANSLOCATOR;
- combo LE-LC-LE combined with a kicker - need some good setup or else this is turned in a "great loop";
- blind teleporters like FV_LinkedPoint by Higor as Walking motivation;
- Editor 227h 227i and PathsLinker - demand an user reachSpec (even PathNodes are usable here) : Radius-115 Height-110, Flags 1 or 9. Distance is computed automatically. -> Only if zone supports walking out of "HitWall" troubles - or claim a connection specific to 227 as "forcedpaths", bytes which later can be "washed" from UT Editor by simply re-saving map from there after the trip through 227 - if textures are not going crapped and they will need fixed with 469.
- Buggie's zoning soup spoofing WarpZones and connecting for "Walking" routes with WarpZoneMarkers;
- XC_EditorAdds - claim a connection type "Event-Tag" between these two and they will gain an "intelligent reachSpec" ReachFlags = 32 addressing "chess players" aka BRAINS_Human Pawns - here it is advisable a detailed examination because XC might do also impossible reachSpecs making pawns to look like real idiots;
- claim any connection but... using a zone with negative gravity - Pawn won't go back through and then... it needs a One-Way Path adding a jump-down more far around, plain PathNodes somewhere under 1000 or 900 UU will get connected down-way with reachFlag 9 by Editor itself;
- A fake navigable zone - by claiming a WaterZone around these two points I'll bet on 10$ that you'll gain a swimming route which Bot won't deny because... I tested these when I wanted "paths over boxes" - lol - later, you can reconstruct map without pathing check-box marked - swimming paths remaining there;
If Navigation between those points is not supporting normal Walk due to stairs (it depends on stepping dimensions), you need to stick with stock Jumpy combos LE-JS-LE.

I might recommend a custom WaterZone. Purpose ? This is "Water-Zone" only in Editor for pathing "heavy" spots. In run-time during a simulated function will switch to a common zone itself - it's about a few lines. I did not test this thing but I'll do that...

Did I forget anything else ? Let me know...

Edit:
If you need samples about Plain Paths Vs Zone tricking, let me know... I don't want to go more off-topic here, it's not my thread.
This is what I was talking/posting about:

Code: Select all

class MorphPathZone expands WaterZone;

/*
	This is only for connecting nodes - purpose is mapping paths in Editor - they will have reachSpecs with R_SWIM reachflag = 4
	Bots are not having issues here since they are capable to swim so they won't discard these routes.
	In run-time zone is a normal one and then it needs a wise placement or else generating
	impossible paths won't be nice.
*/

simulated Function PreBeginPlay()
{
	bWaterZone = False;
	Super.PreBeginPlay();
}

defaultproperties
{
	ViewFlash=(X=0.000000,Y=0.000000,Z=0.000000)
	ViewFog=(X=0.000000,Y=0.000000,Z=0.000000)
}
Ubir4
Adept

Post by Ubir4 »

Look's good.
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

I know I've said this a million times about a million different maps, but...
...imagine this with vehicles! Aaaah, I drool just at the thought...

AHEM!

Anyways, I do quite like the visuals; I love this kind of large, open map, with lots of mazey areas dispersed around, like indoors houses or alleyways between those. I can't wait to play around with this!

And with veh– *cough cough* I was totally gonna say mixed development, shops near houses rather than in commercial districts, as everyone knows that would upset the motor companies of the United States who many a decade ago lobbied against zones of mixed development so that everyone would need a car to go anywhere because everything would be so far away and look how big the Walmart parking lots are nowadays!

HUUUUFF... that was a lot for one breathe.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I downloaded DM-Suburbs map...
https://unrealarchive.org/maps/unreal-t ... 54346.html
DM_Suburbs.PNG
Link me to other DM-Suburbs maps, please...
Ubir4
Adept

Post by Ubir4 »

sektor2111 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:23 pm I downloaded DM-Suburbs map...
https://unrealarchive.org/maps/unreal-t ... 54346.html
DM_Suburbs.PNG
Link me to other DM-Suburbs maps, please...
Thank's.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

The posts from the OP in this thread were his/her last posts on this forum so it's likely the map was not completed or, at least, not released here. Note the OP intended to change the name of the map.
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

OjitroC wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:22 pm The posts from the OP in this thread were his/her last posts on this forum so it's likely the map was not completed or, at least, not released here. Note the OP intended to change the name of the map.
Now you tell me. I downloaded the map that Sektor linked, thinking it was THE map. :facepalm: :lol2:
Anyway...here is a suburban map I like: https://unrealarchive.org/maps/unreal-t ... d8c9f.html
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

OP originally did release the map, I know as I played it, but there was a problem... so I deleted it.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:20 pm OP originally did release the map, I know as I played it, but there was a problem... so I deleted it.
Any idea where it was released or what the name was?
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:32 pmAny idea where it was released or what the name was?
Same name, and I'm pretty sure it was released here.

I don't recall what the specifics on the glitch was, but I'm thinking he may've removed the download from the post.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Hmm, maybe the search function will bring up something :o
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Yes, it was already a DM-Suburbs as there are multiple maps called DM-Ship, DM-Station, DM-Arena and so on, when people are using stupid generic names and not knowing to setup a private tagged name for their work and sharing multiple files with the same name aiming multiplayer environment where these are a Big Problem not a tiny little small narrow problem.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

OjitroC wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:29 am In passing I would point out that there is already a map called DM-Suburbs.
Novaeon wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:23 am Thanks for the heads up. I'll change it to Cul-De-Sac instead
Novaeon
Average

Post by Novaeon »

I never released the map, as I'm still working on it.

I had a bunch of surrounding houses that I ended up adding a bunch of details to. They were originally just meant as backdrop, but they add a nice feeling of getting a little lost in this neighbourhood, so I'm expanding it to make sure there's a good flow to it.
I also still need to figure out how to add custom meshes to bring the polycount down (from some roofs its around 1200) and to add some outdoor lights, as I don't like that the light sources are disembodied.

I don't want to release it until I know I won't add any more textures, to avoid the problems I had when I made Corporate Office. I'll change the original post with the new name and download link when I release it.