Last Post Standing, the sequel

Discussions about everything else
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: Last Post Standing, the sequel

Post by EvilGrins »

Neon_Knight wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:41 pmYOU LOSE!
You lose more!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

I should've asked to have been painted like a wallaby, smh my head.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Wildcard
Average
Personal rank: Admin Wizard

Post by Wildcard »

Ooo! Is that a fresh last post for me I smell?? I'll take it!!
W I N N E R ! ! !
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Wildcard wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:36 pm Ooo! Is that a fresh last post for me I smell?? I'll take it!!
W I N N E R ! ! !
Sorry... did you say something?
Wildcard
Average
Personal rank: Admin Wizard

Post by Wildcard »

Yep! [clears throat]

Last Post!
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Wildcard wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:27 am Yep! [clears throat]

Last Post!
Yes, and that last post is here.
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Check your glasses EvilGrins, and double-check that map, because I think you were a bit lost in your way to the Last Post. :D
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Neon_Knight
Adept

Post by Neon_Knight »

Opinion Myopia

"It turns out personal taste is a matter of taste."
— Unknown

A fan is shocked to find that the loud, mindless summer blockbuster they hated has made so much money! Surely the low Rotten Tomatoes rating should have tipped viewers off. Okay, even if they didn't care about those, surely they would have seen how horrible it was for themselves after the first weekend. What are they? Sheep?

Conversely, how could the movie based on their favorite cult TV series not have made loads of money? Okay, many people didn't know about the movie, but surely word of mouth would have carried. And the blogs went wild for it!

Well, the truth is that some people genuinely like those big, dumb blockbusters, and that works you might be obsessed with just don't appeal to everyone. If the fan can't or won't understand that, then they have Opinion Myopia. Some people take it further by believing that what you like and dislike determines what kind of person you are. These beliefs are justified to an extent, as somebody who cites controversial things like graphic violence as the reason why they like a work is bound to raise eyebrows among their peers; but most people understand that some themes in the works they enjoy would be a very bad idea to carry out in reality.

The formal academic term for this phenomenon is the "false consensus effect", where a person tends to overestimate the extent to which their beliefs or opinions are typical of those of others. It's also related to Confirmation Bias in that people tend to ignore evidence that might prove their cherished opinions are inaccurate. Psychological studies conducted in The New '10s have given evidence that the human brain blurs the lines between facts and opinions, which becomes heightened by the strength of emotions, making it more likely for somebody to assume an opinion that aligns with their beliefs is a fact.

A Super-Trope to Fan Hater (hating people directly for positive opinions you don't agree with), Complaining About People Not Liking the Show (getting upset about negative opinions you don't agree with), He Panned It, Now He Sucks! (same but with reviews), Fan Myopia (fans thinking that the subject of their fandom must be well known and generally liked). Sometimes results in either Fan Dumb or Hate Dumb, and can be related to No True Scotsman.

Compare It's Popular, Now It Sucks!, Broken Base, Bias Steamroller, Vocal Minority, and Casual/Competitive Conflict. Usually the end result of Americans Hate Tingle, where viewers from another region can’t fathom how the thing they hate is well-liked in its home region.

See also Small Reference Pools (people stick to referencing certain works simply because those are the only ones they know... or think the audience will know). Someone who thinks this way about life in general is Captain Oblivious.
OldUnreal U1v227/UTv469 Localization Project coordinator/spanish language maintainer - Unreal Wiki
ProTip 1: anybody using the phrase "I'm a True Fan and You're Not!" is an obnoxious, self-centered, egotistical, elitist, narcissist douchebag.
ProTip 2: anybody who uses the "Royal We" when making a demand wants to pass their own opinion as everyone else's.
ProTip 3: Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
ProTip 4: If the Duke Nukem Forever fiasco wasn't enough of a lesson, perfectionism leads to nothing positive. Don't be afraid of releasing a buggy product. Even the most polished product has its flaws.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Que?
JimmyCognitti

Post by JimmyCognitti »

I WIN!
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

JimmyCognitti wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:31 am I WIN!
What'd you win?
JimmyCognitti

Post by JimmyCognitti »

EvilGrins wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:05 am
What'd you win?
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

I'll need a receipt for that.
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

I elect that we need more pictures of cute animals!

Weapon of Destruction
JimmyCognitti

Post by JimmyCognitti »

Gustavo6046 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:18 am I elect that we need more pictures of cute animals!