Monster Hunt 613

Need some nice Mods? Here, you are right!
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: Monster Hunt 608

Post by sektor2111 »

Entirely wrong understanding. These are facts which I see, if these are taken as disturbing, then I don't need to input any feedback.

The rest
I shared a few points when Buggie did some fixes at MH a few time ago - those were my points if you are not reading forum.
Then points were redirected like were new and adding other things nearby. Attitude code for Bots concerning that 75 collision is MY OPTION since 3+ years and the rest were already shared or simply they are public in Monster Gaming Server for some time - before COVID Stage. Everything is visible and codes not stripped - just like that.
Delacroix wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:18 pm Did you even ask Shrimp for permission to port his content as XC-type content?
First of all XC_MonsterHunt is written from byte ZERO by ME and taking a few things from Higor's recommendations (configurable replacements) - I didn't recall many helpers here. And I think a new work started from byte Zero is not subject for permissions - probably you don't have any clue what is doable and how - I think I can do it without any MH package as dependency and then permissions story is completely off-topic, DM-Deck16 doesn't need CTF-Face for being played after all, frankly it's another stuff.

MonsterHunt was under heavy working since years as long as source-code for compiling assets was already shared - MH for coding was provided by Kelly by the way. MH2 from me has another base, expanding Domination and all timers are rebuild - if you are not aware about X pages which I wrote there let me see, you don't know what was fixed and what is not fixed here, I even forgot all details because are a few years since I touched those, I can only recall some points when I see the game state capturing my attention and comparing stages.

Fixed map won't be public very soon until will pass all tests - then I'll think if it will go out or not.
Assets changed will make cache rippers to split hair and to not be happy, but this direction of altering everything is far from my understanding.
If you want my points in how to not mess backward compatibility solution which I can recommend is leaving alone original package and... EXPANDING it for overwriting bugged functions. In a new package used by game authority nothing is compromised concerning original package integrity, an add-on would cause less damage than changing structures, but since I'm talking to the walls, I think I'll stay quiet here until someone else will point fingers in the same direction.
Gadavre
Skilled

Post by Gadavre »

Shrimp
Hi. I recently found out that there are new versions of the mod....thanks for that that you don't forget this mod.

1. You have added 2 new lines and a task list to the interface in version 607. Many of us are already used to the classic interface. and we can't turn it off in the mod.
Everyone has an opinion. but it seems to me if the interface is overloaded with game information, it might prevent someone from better immersing themselves in the gameplay. balance should be....
There are people who even reduce the statusbar and weapon icon size in the game for better visibility of the game world

2. I have such a feeling, that the difficulty level of monsters is the same everywhere in your mod. But I could be wrong. Let's look at the first enemy on your map (MH-NaliVillage][-SE.unr) dragonfly . I kill her with two shots from enforcer at all levels of difficulty. In Unreal the difficulty level determined the amount of health of the monster and the number of monsters on the level, as I remember... please check
Attachments
new hud.jpg
Shrimp
Adept

Post by Shrimp »

Gadavre wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:54 pm1. You have added 2 new lines and a task list to the interface in version 607. Many of us are already used to the classic interface. and we can't turn it off in the mod.
Everyone has an opinion. but it seems to me if the interface is overloaded with game information, it might prevent someone from better immersing themselves in the gameplay. balance should be....
There are people who even reduce the statusbar and weapon icon size in the game for better visibility of the game world
You can turn this off with the "Show team info" option in the HUD settings, so you can still have a clean/minimal HUD.

You can then still see objectives on the scoreboard if you want to see them.
Gadavre wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:54 pm2. I have such a feeling, that the difficulty level of monsters is the same everywhere in your mod. But I could be wrong. Let's look at the first enemy on your map (MH-NaliVillage][-SE.unr) dragonfly . I kill her with two shots from enforcer at all levels of difficulty. In Unreal the difficulty level determined the amount of health of the monster and the number of monsters on the level, as I remember... please check
Damage scaling still works, and does with the same values it did before.

1. The enforcer deals a lot of damage
2. Flies are not a good test, because they have so little health.

However, try something like a Stinger - an Easy fly will take 2 shots to kill, and an Unreal fly will take 3. Creatures with more health will scale more and the difference will be more pronounced.
ShrimpWorks
Unreal Archive - preserving over 25 years of user-created content for the Unreal series!
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

:?:

Code: Select all

function SetPawnDifficulty( ScriptedPawn S )
{
	S.Health = (S.Health * DiffScale) / 100;
	if (S.Health < MinMonsterHealth)
		S.Health = MinMonsterHealth;
	if ( MonsterMultiplier > 1 )
	{
		S.Health = S.Health*MonsterMultiplier;
	}
	if ( S.Health > MaxMonsterHealth )
		S.Health = MaxMonsterHealth;
Gadavre
Skilled

Post by Gadavre »

Shrimp wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:10 am

You can turn this off with the "Show team info" option in the HUD settings, so you can still have a clean/minimal HUD.

You can then still see objectives on the scoreboard if you want to see them.
is not a good solution. We can't see how many monsters are left on the map. If we want to play team deathmatch, we need to enable this option again....
It would be nice if we could assign this operation (to show this hud) to a button.
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Hey. I would suggest that you edit the README.adoc file in buildscript/, or removing it anyway.

Alternatively, merge some new changes from the UT-ModBuild repo; they include a new buildconfig.sh variable that can toggle the inclusion of the README in the distribution file (the .zip or .tar.*), as well as the inclusion of extra assets like maps and textures (this might be very interesting for you!).

Anyway, you may also want to look at the License.txt and LICENSE.md, which coexist for some reason (though fortunately 'ModBuild doesn't do anything with them), and latest-changes.md; it is of course up to you whether you use them. Also keep in mind that having ModBuild in a subdir means the CI workflows don't work out of the box, and might not work even if you move them to the top folder (maybe they will if you link buildconfig.sh just like you did Makefile, I dunno).

If you wonder how the CI workflow works and what it does, you can look at the Actions tab and the Releases page of UT-ModBuild.

Cheers!
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Neon_Knight
Adept

Post by Neon_Knight »

Did a contribution to the project:

https://github.com/shrimpza/monsterhunt/pull/22

Localization templates for the mod (both the ANSI-based v436 as well as the UTF-8 with BOM-based v469), as well as Spanish localization for v469.
OldUnreal U1v227/UTv469 Localization Project coordinator/spanish language maintainer - Unreal Wiki
ProTip 1: anybody using the phrase "I'm a True Fan and You're Not!" is an obnoxious, self-centered, egotistical, elitist, narcissist douchebag.
ProTip 2: anybody who uses the "Royal We" when making a demand wants to pass their own opinion as everyone else's.
ProTip 3: Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
ProTip 4: If the Duke Nukem Forever fiasco wasn't enough of a lesson, perfectionism leads to nothing positive. Don't be afraid of releasing a buggy product. Even the most polished product has its flaws.
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Amazing that the original Monster Hunt is still being developed. Thank you very much Shrimp, and never stop being awesome! <3
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Shrimp
Adept

Re: Monster Hunt 609

Post by Shrimp »

MH 609 released, OP updated with changelog.

@Neon_Knight - I think my editor or whatever character sets I have installed may have messed up the accented characters on the Spanish localisation, are you able to check if possible?
ShrimpWorks
Unreal Archive - preserving over 25 years of user-created content for the Unreal series!
Neon_Knight
Adept

Post by Neon_Knight »

I'll check that ASAP!
OldUnreal U1v227/UTv469 Localization Project coordinator/spanish language maintainer - Unreal Wiki
ProTip 1: anybody using the phrase "I'm a True Fan and You're Not!" is an obnoxious, self-centered, egotistical, elitist, narcissist douchebag.
ProTip 2: anybody who uses the "Royal We" when making a demand wants to pass their own opinion as everyone else's.
ProTip 3: Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
ProTip 4: If the Duke Nukem Forever fiasco wasn't enough of a lesson, perfectionism leads to nothing positive. Don't be afraid of releasing a buggy product. Even the most polished product has its flaws.
Old UT Veteran
Skilled

Post by Old UT Veteran »

Shrimp wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:19 am
## 608 to 609:
- Properly support `bEnabled` on `MonsterWaypoint`, to allow for more complex AI navigation orchestration
- - waypoint can now be disabled at start, and then triggered to enable (default is enabled)
- Adjust bot behaviour to try to clear monsters in an area before proceeding to next waypoint
These are some awesome and needed changes/additions to the base mod in terms of bot navigation. In my opinion it vastly improves the flow of SP games; bots dont go solo as much, 'boss' fights are no longer skipped. Also noticed that bots wait for backup before going for waypoint tagged with a target/boss pawn - not sure if this was intentional or random. Bot's calling for backup and other bots responding too. :tu:
Most important, no more bots moon-running in place.

I think that previously waypoints could also be used in monster arena to force bots to move to an 'arena' with boss. To be able to disable 'touch' will make things a lot less frustrating when implementing bot support when it comes to forcing bots to attack a specific pawn or going to an area where they will more likely be in and die in. Haven't tested it out yet but seeing that it works in MH, I have confidence here.

This was an awesome update, thanks Shrimp. :gj:

Some things I noticed:

- In regards to bot combat (overall, not version specific), I'm seeing that they tend to rush too much at big HP monsters with a chainsaw when they either run out of ammo. In general I'm noticing that they are not always well adapted to handling bigger monsters with high HP and get too close, often with splash weapons that end up killing them: firing rocket, sludge, shock alt. at queen from 1 meter away. This becomes a problem at hard and unreal difficulties as all monsters have boosted HP.

- Monster hunt logo doesnt seem to adjust properly for other Hud settings when using the -/+ (default) keys.
+ logo doesnt adjust in some instance or merges with other HUD images, like the shield below
picture1.PNG
picture1.PNG (38.72 KiB) Viewed 782 times
merged with shield, unless this was intended
picture2.PNG
picture2.PNG (38.63 KiB) Viewed 782 times
Shrimp
Adept

Re: Monster Hunt 610

Post by Shrimp »

Updated to MH 610.

I couldn't find an existing mutator for this, so I added a new mutator which adds blood splats to monster body parts and corpses, since I thought it looked a bit bad that they weren't making a mess everywhere.

Thanks for the feedback @Old UT Veteran, I have also fixed the HUD issue.

I dunno what to do about suicidal bots yet, if there's anything that can be done, will have to consider that a bit more.
ShrimpWorks
Shrimp
Adept

Re: Monster Hunt 611

Post by Shrimp »

Here is MH 611.

This is not big on gameplay or particularly visible features, but instead is a large "architectural" change to how some things work.

Specifically, the introduction of "Extensions" per the changelog:
- Moved logic for several actions into separate "extension" classes:
- MonsterHuntScoreExtension: Allows implementation of custom scoring for monster kills and player deaths
- MonsterHuntBotExtension: Moves all the bot orders and other checks out of game code, and allows custom behaviour
- MonsterHuntMonsterExtension: Allows implementation of custom monster skill settings and behaviours
- These are all configurable on the MonsterHunt gametypes
Specifically, on each Monster Hunt gametype, you can now define the following as config options in MonsterHunt.ini:

Code: Select all

ScoreExtensionType=Class'MonsterHunt.MonsterHuntScoreExtension'
BotExtensionType=Class'MonsterHunt.MonsterHuntBotExtension'
MonsterExtensionType=Class'MonsterHunt.MonsterHuntMonsterExtension'
What these do, is move the logic for various things out of the gametype code itself. So for example you could implement a custom score extension that changes scoring to be done based on monster size, rather than per monster type as I've defined it. You could extend the Monster Defence extension to spawn different or custom monster types. You can improve bot behaviour with a custom bot extension.

The idea is you can change all these things but leave the main game type code alone, so we can maximise both compatibility and flexibility.

The "interfaces" of each extension type are described as comments at the head of each of their source files.

----

I realise such a change is probably mostly worthless at this stage in Monster Hunt and UT's lifespan, but it's something I've been wanting to do for a while. So if for nobody else, it's for my own edification. Which is pretty much why I'm making any updates to MH these days.
ShrimpWorks
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

These updates keep making me want to try my hand at MH (or at least, for practice: MA) mapping, one day when I'll stop being lazy to learn it. Thank you very much Shrimp :)
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

It looks like there is a bug in 611 - basically certain deaths add to rather than subtract from the number of lives a Player has - see this post 135683#p135681 and the replies for more info.