PathsMaker

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Buggie
Godlike

PathsMaker

Post by Buggie »

Simple tool for automatically build Navigationt Network by add PathNodes to map.

Usage:
1. Open in UnrealEd v469b PathsMaker.u
2. Use new button appear as brush builder.

Or as usuaul (v436):
Add it to EditPackages.

Install:
unpack into System

Config:
You can set more or less directions if want.
More directions - detailed network, more PathNodes added, more time for work.
After PathNodes added you need rebuild paths.
Also suggest after build clean it with MapChecker, but this is completely optional.

Big algorithm very simple - from any NavigationPoint scout try travel in few directions (circle broken by number in settings) for 400uu, and place here PathNode if there no another NavigationPoint near.

Small algorith use fill map and place nodes in spots which best for reach all other spots, with some checks and filtration. Don't forget build paths before use it.

Small better fir to closed maps.

Anyway generated nodes need polish by hands.

Hunt:
If yo need prepare really big map, but you see crash about runaway limit - run UnrealEd with param -norunaway
PathsMaker.zip
(93.05 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Before:
scr_1644543874.jpg
After:
scr_1644543832.jpg
Example work for FifthVortex map:
scr_1644544785.jpg
Speed really fast for such big maps.
Last edited by Buggie on Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:20 pm, edited 18 times in total.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: PathsMaker

Post by papercoffee »

wait ...bots won't run in circles on these grid?
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Only when make taunts over your dead body! :twisted:

OFC no. There very dangerous and deadly now, because able reach you everywhere, from any direction, by ways, which not always easy predicted.

Navigation network AKA navigation grid usually must be look like net for catch fish. So this is completely normal.

After implement this on CTF-XV-BloodGulch bots start be real power, not trains on rails, which you can easy kill with prediction.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

papercoffee wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:04 pm wait ...bots won't run in circles on these grid?
Not always, it's a matter of luck more than anything else, it's in the opposite direction with original UE1.
"1000 nodes searched from ...." this is what will happen to not mention what "paths" were added at some stairs.
When map has thousands of Nodes in multiple directions chances to hit boundaries are increased (EpicTown MorpheusUnbounded LandsOfNapali as examples). If map has under 1000 Nodes, that limit is never touched and all works smoother and without debris ReachSpecs never used.
In DeathMatches searching inventories is more limited than normal navigation. Probably it doesn't worth wasting time to do some test map for confirmation.
You can imagine building paths in stock 1000 range and nodes for each 400 units. It's not moving A B C D E, shortest way it's A C E and then B and D are just discarded, unless Paths Builder aka ReachSpecs generator will work in 512 range for preventing shortcuts and causing useless paths.
Either way I could see a small-medium CTF map without incoming paths to flags and nodes spread in squares like that - (for "good" coverage), all game was spoiled with errors logged and no movement. In 2022 no pathing script it's in competition with human eye. Then if comes to maps like CTF-AYeti or MH-GardenOfDeath, all such charge has ZERO purpose, there DevPath doesn't even work in probing ActorReachable/PointReachable during run-time. You can have 10000 Nodes and 40000 ReachSpecs hosted as spam data.
When I'll fall in love with a "pathed" map, I'll do a revision more or less in run-time. I have all endowment for eliminating all network and reconstructing a new simple network under a half of second in a slow rig machine during map's run-time.

Edit: However, this can be used for auto-completing several needed Nodes, then cleaning those not really normally placed, then... rebuilding Paths using my toy for producing a minimal number of paths - Inside Engine.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

I have to test this on one of my bigger maps where I tried something similar by hand ...and got corrected to a single straight path by another mapper.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

v1

more options:
now able specify yaw offset for make grid rotated in some direction.
By default used direction between CTF bases.

Middle part of CTF-XV-BloodGulch remake with that.

Also now added Pathnodes marked as autobuilt and add into special group, so you can later easy delete it or do something with it.

Updated at first post: posting.php?mode=reply&f=5&t=15041
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

I think this is a really cool project! I think it has potential and could be a starting point.

But like Sektor said, it would be way more useful if you used some algorithm to cull pointless pathnodes.

Hey Sektor, what about some mod that adds "grouped pathnodes", so a hierarchical pathfinding algorithm can be used? That is, first pathfind on pathnode groups, then for the first group in the path you pathfind from start pos until the 2nd group. (Only if the bot's current node happens to be in a pathnode group, of ocurse!)
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Gustavo6046 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:04 pm I think this is a really cool project! I think it has potential and could be a starting point.

But like Sektor said, it would be way more useful if you used some algorithm to cull pointless pathnodes.

Hey Sektor, what about some mod that adds "grouped pathnodes",...)
A few minutes ago I fired up a test in a poorly pathed CTF map. A lot of spots did not get connections causing gaps and... some nodes are frankly for aerial routes (- which Editor doesn't do), ground pawns won't reach there. Map needs completed and nodes moved here and there. The more complex is geometry the harder is to manage potential locations for nodes.
Pathing generally in my opinion will need to cover DM stages, Assault, CTF, Domination, so to speak generic stock games and trying to unlock trap-type spots if pawn is boosted there and it's not dead. For MonsterHunt we talk about other routes to keypoints and triggers - story is a bit different but not impossible.

I had some plans in the nearby past concerning a better paths maker (not ReachSpecs generator) - a tool for adding easily PathNodes automatically - a recommended network. I dropped idea because last 5-6 maps which I had on my table have demonstrated me that managing safe routes out of bouncing walls and Bot going clumsy is really hard to avoid in a script based on traces and some Z axis gaming. These traces need multiple checks toward how far are nodes from ledges and from navigable ground. If you hit me with some strategy and maybe a few code snippets perhaps I can do something basic, coming with extra-testing. At this moment I'm happy because I was able to setup a ReachSpec Generator (not PathNodes generator) making paths more simple and clean out of debris data.
This nodes generator it's a start but... it's helpful 50% or less, the rest is human control.
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

I am liking this. So far it mostly solves my problem of unpathed sniper city maps for my stuff swapper sessions. Not perfect, and I use it offline, I do not have a server, but now the bots can do stuff, and that works for me. :tu:
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Yeah, works for me as well in 'transforming' unpathed maps - though I do run sektor's MapGarbage after to check for 'bad' paths (endbreaks, traps, etc) and to keep the ReachSpecs within reasonable bounds.

I often have two copies of a sniper map - one without paths for me to hunt bots and one with pathnodes so that relics and scriptedpawns can be spawned.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

v2

more options:
now able specify maximal count of NavigationPoint on map. Default 2000. Add PathNodes stop if reach this limit.

Default for count directions changed to 6. This is better for fill map.

Better add PathNodes. Bigger distance - need less for cover same area.

Better check for nodes near, for avoid place nodes too close.

Updated at first post: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15041
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

v3

- Fixed weird mistake for use YawOffset properly.

a9902957@nepwk.com
Experienced

Post by a9902957@nepwk.com »

When I recently retried SLV2 for some Nostalgia checking and noticed version 2.05 had no bot support but 2.04 had the bots
ride rockets in some maps and checking the mod's mapping.txt and trying for a few mins in UEd I could not help but
think and wish for such a tool to place nodes that that version can use for sensible SKYNODE additions.

Seriously riding shotgun or just watching a bot fly in CTF-Eagles and making good use of such trips is nice.

But few maps allow for the bots to profit from the Strangelove transportation means sadly.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Add second algorithm which produce better results for small maps.
Small algorithm use fill map and place nodes in spots which best for reach all other spots, with some checks and filtration. Don't forget build paths before use it.

Small better fir to closed maps.

Anyway generated nodes need polish by hands.

Hunt:
If you need prepare really big map, but you see crash about runaway limit - run UnrealEd with param -norunaway
scr_1649526735.png
scr_1649526735.png (13.29 KiB) Viewed 645 times
Second algo produce acceptable results for DM-Deck16][ and DM-Codex, with removed stock PathNodes.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Deck16.PNG
At option FM_Small_Close, Editor goes stuck like rock.