DM-AmericanSuburbs [FINAL]

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: DM-Suburbs

Post by sektor2111 »

Buggie wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:23 am 3. AlternatePath must be placed for avoid illogical movement. For example if you place it in middle long tunnel between bases, can be situation when blue bot enter to tunnel from wrong side (from red base), reach middle and run back to red base for take flag.
For avoid such need make AlternatePath closer to blue base.
Yes, perfectly agree here. Even Epic were messing up CTF-Coret like that, applying fixes right in Engine... See game-log...

Code: Select all

Log: Game class is 'CTFGame'
Log: Fixing up CTF-Coret
Log: Fixed up AlternatePath13
Log: Fixed up AlternatePath12
Log: Fixed up PlayerStart5
Log: Level is Level CTF-Coret.MyLevel
They were the firsts boys giving idea of patching maps but... no coding solution open for moving a wrong PlayerStart :loool:.
Let me guess... this is simply disabled for good...
Tyr
Skilled

Re: DM-AmericanSuburbs [BETA]

Post by Tyr »

I love the Night Version. It gives me an eerie feeling of an abandoned place where zombies are chasing around.
Released:
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Tyr wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:36 pm I love the Night Version. It gives me an eerie feeling of an abandoned place where zombies are chasing around.
Add the Zombies
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Konoko takes to the rooftops to evade the suburban zombie hordes
SuburbanZombies.png
SuburbanZombies1.png
Not quite sure what amount of zombies to use - currently
NZombiesCount=200
NHordeSize=20
ZombieHealth=200
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Is it just me or do they look a little bit small...
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Those screenshots are taken from the roof of a house (bottom) and of a porch or garage I think (top) - up close the zombies are normal size (as tall, etc as the player).
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

I meant compared to the surrounding ...I mean I don't know how those suburbs actually look like.
But I thought compared to the windows and the hedge in the background do the zombies look a little bit small.
Or better said the surrounding looks unproportional big.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:52 am Is it just me or do they look a little bit small...
Most of that map is pretty much to scale for UT standard player size, but the zombies probably do seem small as they're all shorter than the normal player size.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:07 am
papercoffee wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:52 am Is it just me or do they look a little bit small...
Most of that map is pretty much to scale for UT standard player size, but the zombies probably do seem small as they're all shorter than the normal player size.
Yes they are all a little bit small - they all have a DrawScale of less than 1 - the TWT_ZombiePawn, from which all the Zombies5 are subclassed, has a DrawScale of 0.85 and the child classes have a DrawScale of 0.92 or 0.94.
jmartin
Skilled

Post by jmartin »

Perfect. :tu: Good job Novaeon.

Better than most Suburban themed maps I've seen. (even mine :oops:). Very realistic.

I also like the city skyline on the horizon. Nice sense of perspective.
OjitroC wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:32 pm
Yes they are all a little bit small - they all have a DrawScale of less than 1 - the TWT_ZombiePawn, from which all the Zombies5 are subclassed, has a DrawScale of 0.85 and the child classes have a DrawScale of 0.92 or 0.94.
They haven't fed yet. :D
Novaeon
Average

Post by Novaeon »

Sorry for the long wait.

Been fiddling with ways to create decent landscape for the skybox as Skerion suggested. Tried messing around with World Machine to create something, but it took a long time to get results I didn't feel were all that good, and would have to spend even more time to get to look good, so I scrapped that. In the end I got a landscape done by using Google Earth, as I found a guide I could kind of use. I've made an actual guide out of it, so you don't have to guess your way to some things as I did, and I will upload it soon. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Here's a view:

Attached is the final version of the day and night DM maps. No DOM or CTF for now, as I want to move on to something new for a while. No interiors either as the balance of preventing BSP errors is already at the tipping point. I might do a small map with the same theme with interiors one day though. For those that have asked if you can convert the map to other mods or gamemodes, go right ahead, but please leave a credit and drop me an email or PM when you have it ported so I can try it out :)

I hope you enjoy! :D
Attachments
DM-AmericanSuburbs.zip
(7.93 MiB) Downloaded 56 times
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: DM-AmericanSuburbs [FINAL]

Post by OjitroC »

I'm loath to bring this up and I'm not sure how important it is as it is on the edge of the main playing area but it looks like altering the skybox has introduced a HOM - I don't recall it being there in the previous version
Amsub1.jpg
Amsub.jpg
I don't think there is a BSP hole there.
Novaeon
Average

Post by Novaeon »

Like I mentioned it's very much a balance in terms of BSP. I don't think I can avoid them given how many brushes there are. I could fix that one, and then 2 others pop up somewhere else. I'd much rather have them at the edge of the map, where there's no real point in going than in some place where you can't avoid it. I hate that I didn't catch it, but I kinda have to move on at this point, given how much time I've already spent on this map.
JimmyCognitti

Post by JimmyCognitti »

This is now one of my favorite maps, thanks!