469b- bizarre graphical bug with XOpenGL

Discussions about UT99
Mantha065
Novice
Personal rank: RetronaissanceKnight

469b- bizarre graphical bug with XOpenGL

Post by Mantha065 »

I've played 50+ hours using 469b running XOpenGL renderer, and I've never had this issue until now:
Happens on all maps. Anyone else had this/anybody know what to do to fix this?
asosed
Adept

Re: 469b- bizarre graphical bug with XOpenGL

Post by asosed »

Mantha065 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:48 am I've played 50+ hours using 469b running XOpenGL renderer, and I've never had this issue until now:
https://github.com/OldUnreal/UnrealTour ... issues/637
SilverSound
Adept
Personal rank: Curious

Post by SilverSound »

Mantha065 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:48 am I've played 50+ hours using 469b running XOpenGL renderer, and I've never had this issue until now:
Make sure you grab the XOpenGlFix from anth on the discord. He posted a link to it.
"Woah what?! I wish I was recording that...."
Mantha065
Novice
Personal rank: RetronaissanceKnight

Post by Mantha065 »

Got it, thanks!
darkbarrage99
Skilled
Personal rank: Barron O' Beefdip

Post by darkbarrage99 »

I'm gonna piggy back this thread since I'm also having issues with XOpenGL.

As you can see, the weapon models are bleeding through the hud. This happens at an FOV over 96. Is there a fix for this as well?

I'm using a GEForce GTX 1650 Ventus XS GPU, AMD 3900X CPU, UT99 Patched to v469b, 1080p res.

(I was also having issues with disappearing weapons so thanks for sharing those updated XOpenGL files! They didn't fix this though lol)

UT Sniper (SJA94)
Inhuman
Personal rank: Retard

Post by UT Sniper (SJA94) »

darkbarrage99 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:55 am I'm gonna piggy back this thread since I'm also having issues with XOpenGL.

Pretty sure you have to enable ZRangeHack in your xOpenGL settings.

Type preferences in console(if on windows), go to the XopenGl section and enable it. If you can't find it open UnrealTournament.ini in your UT system folder(with game closed), and add ZRangeHack=True at the bottom of the [XOpenGLRenderDevice] block.

ZRangeHack - [True/False]
An experimental option that can make the z-buffer work better for far away objects. Might cause unexpected problems, but doesn't seem to break anything major so far. Will fix problems with decals flickering in the distance with 24-bit z-buffers, which is the most you can get on many video cards. Will also fix the issue with the Redeemer covering up part of the HUD. Partially breaks weapon rendering on the first person view one if using wireframe debug mode (will clip near parts of it). Doesn't help enough to make 16-bit z-buffers work correctly.
Quote from this topic.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=373
darkbarrage99
Skilled
Personal rank: Barron O' Beefdip

Post by darkbarrage99 »

UT Sniper (SJA94) wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:51 am Pretty sure you have to enable ZRangeHack in your xOpenGL settings.

Type preferences in console(if on windows), go to the XopenGl section and enable it. If you can't find it open UnrealTournament.ini in your UT system folder(with game closed), and add ZRangeHack=True at the bottom of the [XOpenGLRenderDevice] block.

ZRangeHack - [True/False]
An experimental option that can make the z-buffer work better...
Quote from this topic.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=373
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, that did not seem to resolve the problem. bio, flak, mini and redeemer still block out part of the HUD for me.
fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

Post by fudgonaut »

Make sure you grab the XOpenGlFix from anth on the discord. He posted a link to it.
The link is here: https://github.com/OldUnreal/UnrealTour ... b-Fix2.zip
chat sniper
Novice

Post by chat sniper »

Unless you're testing it for development purposes, don't use XOpenGL. It's significantly less performant than either of the popular old cwdonahl renderers, and as you've discovered, it has bugs that can interfere with basic gameplay.

AFAIK there are no extra features XOGL enables. It's basically just a worse, buggy renderer. I know the 'X' in its name makes it sound exciting, but it really isn't. Let the beta testers worry about it.
Neon_Knight
Adept

Post by Neon_Knight »

XOpenGL isn't meant for any PC, just PCs with graphic cards or circuits that support OpenGL 3.3 or more. For everything else you either use regular CWD OpenGL or any version of DirectX your system supports.
OldUnreal U1v227/UTv469 Localization Project coordinator/spanish language maintainer - Unreal Wiki
ProTip 1: anybody using the phrase "I'm a True Fan and You're Not!" is an obnoxious, self-centered, egotistical, elitist, narcissist douchebag.
ProTip 2: anybody who uses the "Royal We" when making a demand wants to pass their own opinion as everyone else's.
ProTip 3: Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
ProTip 4: If the Duke Nukem Forever fiasco wasn't enough of a lesson, perfectionism leads to nothing positive. Don't be afraid of releasing a buggy product. Even the most polished product has its flaws.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Also in upcoming v469c XOpenGL got many fixes and work much better.
Old UT Veteran
Skilled

Post by Old UT Veteran »

I don't remember all the details but wasn't xopenGL made in mind to make the game appear similar to what the developers intended to have it look like back in 1999?
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

It is just "OldUnreal's latest OpenGL 4-based 3d renderer (XOpenGLDrv)".
https://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2 ... 53909937/1

AFAIK it is attempt make driver which aware of latest OpenGL possibility and supported modern hardware.