Textures with D3D11Driver

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Textures with D3D11Driver

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

I don't want to post this, and I feel like I should know how to get this completed correctly. I've even tried to follow this topic located here.
viewtopic.php?p=72981#p72981
I have two textures that I have tried repeatedly to fix and get them working correctly as a masked texture. (I hate getting old) So the green NBK logo I just updated following the topic above. And the masked portion stays black no matter what driver I try to use; I used D3D9 and D3D7, and it's still black. The Yellow team texture is just a yellow blank with D3D11driver but shows up masked using D3D9 and D3D7. All of the logos show as masked in the texture browser except for the green one I just updated following the post above. I've done something incorrectly at the point of, Now go to "Image -> Mode -> Color table..." and click on the block that has the transparent "color" and change that to something else that will be your mask and make a note the #****** value (I recommend something that has either a large contrast to the rest OR blends into the rest of the image, so it is usable when not masked) click "ok.” (I used black) I'm using Adobe CS6 to edit pictures. I feel like such a NOOB. Red and Blue Teams are working just fine.
Image 1:
Image 2:
Image 3:
The PCX that I imported to UnrealEd
]http://dxfxhouse.com/images/dxfxnbk1green3.pcx
ExpEM
Adept

Re: Textures with D3D11Driver

Post by ExpEM »

I don't work with PCX format, but as a dumb suggestion try using 8bit BMP.
Some times dumb things fix problems.
Signature goes here.
sn260591
Average

Post by sn260591 »

The transparent color should be the first in the palette.
fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

Post by fudgonaut »

I used to have a lot of problems getting format settings correct - especially masked textured to .pcx for import.

So I use Bright, which uses command line to turn images (bmp, tga) into .pcx. I make all my textures in Photoshop but any graphics program will work (Gimp, etc)

This is workflow I use now, it has never failed me:
  • For areas I want masked out I never use black. Instead I use pure magenta (rgb 255,0,255).
  • Save the final images as .tga 24-bit depth
  • Put the textures in a batch processing folder where the Bright executable (Bright.exe) lives
  • Use Bright to batch process the .tga files to .pcx
  • The command line is simply bright *.tga
  • For masked textures, use the command bright *.tga -pinkmask
  • Bright will automatically assign magenta ('pink') as the masked color while it converts textures to .pcx
  • Lastly I import the .pcx textures into UnrealEd making sure to check the masked checkbox when applicable
This may seem like a lot of steps, but it's a pretty simple workflow once you've done it a few times. I highly recommend it if you do a lot of work with textures

Hope this helps
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

fudgonaut wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:53 pm I used to have a lot of problems getting format settings correct - especially masked textured to .pcx for import.

So I use Bright, which uses command line to turn images (bmp, tga) into .pcx. I make all my textures in Photoshop but any graphics program will work (Gimp, etc)

This is workflow I use now, it has never failed me:
  • For areas I want masked out I never use black. Instead I use pure magenta (rgb 255,0,255).
  • Save the final images as .tga 24-bit depth
  • Put the textures in a batch processing folder where the Bright executable (Bright.exe) lives
  • Use Bright to batch process the .tga files to .pcx
  • The command line is simply bright *.tga
  • For masked textures, use the command bright *.tga -pinkmask
  • Bright will automatically assign magenta ('pink') as the masked color while it converts textures to .pcx
  • Lastly I import the .pcx textures into UnrealEd making sure to check the masked checkbox when applicable
This may seem like a lot of steps, but it's a pretty simple workflow once you've done it a few times. I highly recommend it if you do a lot of work with textures

Hope this helps
@fudgonaut Thank you for your help. I have it working but I need to work on its quality. I'm still seeing magenta pixels and that's not going to work.
fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

Post by fudgonaut »

[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:37 pmI'm still seeing magenta pixels and that's not going to work.
I've run into this problem before, and it's a matter of eliminating any semi-transparent (anti-aliased) pixels in the source image.

The pixels along the edges of the NBK logo in the source image have transparency, and when the image is flattened, the magenta is coming through underneath those pixels.

Check the Bright documentation, I think there is a -black switch that can be used instead of -pinkpask. You'll neet to use black instead of magenta.

It won't eliminate the issue. But you'll have black edges which will look better than pink.

I've done the same thing many, many times. My solution was to adopt a couple techniques in photshop to ensure my masked textures have hard pixel edges (opacity 100% or opacity 0%).

I use magenta as a QA Testing method, because I can see any rogue edge pixels right away, when I load the texture in-game.
Last edited by fudgonaut on Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

ExpEM wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:57 am I don't work with PCX format, but as a dumb suggestion try using 8bit BMP.
Some times dumb things fix problems.
unfortunately it's not working for me.