Unreal v227j - The thread - IT'S FINALLY OUT!

Discussions about everything else
Neon_Knight
Adept

Unreal v227j - The thread - IT'S FINALLY OUT!

Post by Neon_Knight »

Here I'll be posting screenshots and stuff. And we're going to talk about this version. We're close to release and I thought it would be a cool idea to get the hype rolling. :3

First of all, Smirf's message on May 22nd. We're past the first week. Source
Smirftsch wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:29 pm Alright folks, it seems that we can't make it today, to many minor and annoying things left for me to do and also some minor problems (like a memory leak) came up which requires some testing yet. Last week I was plain to busy with real life issues (mentioned it above).
However, while I can't make it today, the release will be definitely within the next 2 weeks, as assured timeline. I know you are waiting for it and I promise the waiting is almost over now. Don't roll your eyes now, please. There are circumstances sometimes one can't control and I want to make it a good and worked out release with no slips if possible.
Next, SCREENSHOT GALLERIES!

UMenu - English

UMenu - Spanish

UMenu - German

UMenu - Catalan (New language)

Classic menu - Spanish and English

Classic menu - German

New HUD Scaling function

Last edited by Neon_Knight on Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldUnreal U1v227/UTv469 Localization Project coordinator/spanish language maintainer - Unreal Wiki
ProTip 1: anybody using the phrase "I'm a True Fan and You're Not!" is an obnoxious, self-centered, egotistical, elitist, narcissist douchebag.
ProTip 2: anybody who uses the "Royal We" when making a demand wants to pass their own opinion as everyone else's.
ProTip 3: Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
ProTip 4: If the Duke Nukem Forever fiasco wasn't enough of a lesson, perfectionism leads to nothing positive. Don't be afraid of releasing a buggy product. Even the most polished product has its flaws.
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: Unreal v227j - The thread

Post by OjitroC »

As a matter of interest :
1 Any idea what the system requirements are?
2 This can be installed over Unreal Gold patched to 227i or should it be installed using a separate /System folder (I suppose it depends what else other than system files has been updated).
Neon_Knight
Adept

Post by Neon_Knight »

OjitroC wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 3:12 pm As a matter of interest :
1 Any idea what the system requirements are?
2 This can be installed over Unreal Gold patched to 227i or should it be installed using a separate /System folder (I suppose it depends what else other than system files has been updated).
If a system can run v227i, it should be able to run v227j too. v227j however also supports some systems v227i didn't. Can't tell the exactitudes, though. That only can be answered by the guys with access to the backend such as Smirf or Marco/Dots.

As for the other, it can be safely installed over v227i, however you might want to cleanse the older .int and .ini files in System as well as the SystemLocalized folder before installing. There's some new stuff (such as the localizations now located in a different folder so we don't have thousands of localization files in the same folder, plus the .ini has some new entries that are related to that) that might not work by just placing v227j over v227i. I guess the guys might have some mechanism in order to deal with that.
OldUnreal U1v227/UTv469 Localization Project coordinator/spanish language maintainer - Unreal Wiki
ProTip 1: anybody using the phrase "I'm a True Fan and You're Not!" is an obnoxious, self-centered, egotistical, elitist, narcissist douchebag.
ProTip 2: anybody who uses the "Royal We" when making a demand wants to pass their own opinion as everyone else's.
ProTip 3: Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
ProTip 4: If the Duke Nukem Forever fiasco wasn't enough of a lesson, perfectionism leads to nothing positive. Don't be afraid of releasing a buggy product. Even the most polished product has its flaws.
Old UT Veteran
Skilled

Post by Old UT Veteran »

Hey Neon, is there a changelog somewhere? Very excited to hear Unreal is getting another update.
Neon_Knight
Adept

Post by Neon_Knight »

Very rough, much preliminary, very dirty, much release notes...

https://www.oldunreal.com/wiki/index.ph ... 227j_beta1
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I'm hoping that 227j will be different because 227i it's not like has the best ever DevPath...
This is a copy of DM-Deck16][ using current nodes - nothing moved, just building paths in 227i - Gold.

After checking paths in UT using XC assets:

Code: Select all

LostData: ________________________________________________________________
LostData: ReachSpecs missing from Paths[0-15] 		= 213.
LostData: ReachSpecs missing from upStreamPaths[0-15] 	= 228.
FixedWithSuccess: ReachSpecs successfully attached 	= 293.
FixFailures: ReachSpecs attaching failures - probably no place = 148.
SpecTest: Testing and fixing specs took: 
	0.048127 seconds.
SpecCheckLocator: Checking ReachSpecs Localization has been finished.
For a logic programming reason - preventing iterations, this fix might need to be applied multiple times. Last hit was unable to fix anything... because it cannot be fixed.

LostData: ReachSpecs missing from Paths[0-15] 		= 52.
LostData: ReachSpecs missing from upStreamPaths[0-15] 	= 96.
FixedWithSuccess: ReachSpecs successfully attached 	= 0.
FixFailures: ReachSpecs attaching failures - probably no place = 148.
SpecTest: Testing and fixing specs took: 
	0.034943 seconds.
What's different ? New R_Fly paths unused by Bots and the rest of lost data - as usual.

With regard to "We could not recreate the bug" story... just re-build paths in said map and examine PathNode33. Look how many Paths Lines are having said node and how many are placed in Paths[0-15] using "EditActor" command. Evidence it's more than clear.

The stage reported from Mr. Garbage. ReachSpecs embedded in Navigation

NumReachSpecs: This map has 1630 ReachSpecs shown as direct paths in Navigation Network.
NumReachSpecs: Also this map has 1044 ReachSpecs as shortcuts aka PrunedPaths in Navigation Network.
NumReachSpecs: These are not visible in Editor but they are used by Pawns.
NumReachSpecs: After calculation we have 2674 ReachSpecs.
ReachSpecs hunting report by testing index:

MaxNumFound: I found a sum of 2887 reachspecs defined in map, from 0 to 2886.
2887 - 2674 = 213 ReachSpecs hosted nowhere.
ExpEM
Adept

Post by ExpEM »

I have the next 4 days off of work, time for the release!
Signature goes here.
Neon_Knight
Adept

Post by Neon_Knight »

More galleries!

UMenu - Controls menu (CT-DE-ES-EN)

UMenu - Dutch

Classic Menu - Dutch

Release in these days, also!
Neon_Knight
Adept

Post by Neon_Knight »

The problem with the installers was finally solved and the release is just around the corner, so here's the titanically HUGE final changelog for v227j, with a TL;DR version included:

https://www.oldunreal.com/wiki/index.ph ... otes/v227j
Neon_Knight
Adept

Post by Neon_Knight »

Last batch of screenshots before release

Reworked Dutch UMenu (credits to Rubie for this one)

Classic Menu Scaling

Reworked Dutch Classic Menu (credits again to Rubie for this one)

Neon_Knight
Adept

Re: Unreal v227j - The thread - IT'S FINALLY OUT!

Post by Neon_Knight »

https://www.oldunreal.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 51&t=10395

After 10 long years, the v227j patch for Unreal (1998) HAS FINALLY BEEN RELEASED!

P.S.: If your AV blocks the D/L, FRET NOT! It's a false-positive. Such is the price for digital signing.

VirusTotal results: https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/621 ... 48dcf8d0d0
Shrimp
Adept

Post by Shrimp »

So, I'm confused. Says it has Linux support, but is only distributed as an executable installer?

Is there a plain zip somewhere with the Linux version?

I tried using the "WinLin" versions of previous patches as well, and they distribute all the DLLs, EXEs, SOs and BINs in one directory, making maintaining a clean install on either platform a mission.
ShrimpWorks
Unreal Archive - preserving over 25 years of user-created content for the Unreal series!
Neon_Knight
Adept

Post by Neon_Knight »

Shrimp wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:51 am So, I'm confused. Says it has Linux support, but is only distributed as an executable installer?

Is there a plain zip somewhere with the Linux version?

I tried using the "WinLin" versions of previous patches as well, and they distribute all the DLLs, EXEs, SOs and BINs in one directory, making maintaining a clean install on either platform a mission.
For now the only way to get this version (due to a legal issue) is via Windows .exe installer. The installer gives you the option to install these versions, though. There are plans, however, to release tomorrow archive versions of the patch.

Shrimp
Adept

Post by Shrimp »

OK, will see what else comes out in the coming days. Just seems an odd distribution model to include all the platform files in one archive or a platform-dependent installer.
ShrimpWorks
Unreal Archive - preserving over 25 years of user-created content for the Unreal series!
Neon_Knight
Adept

Post by Neon_Knight »

I don't have the exact details at hand, but the only thing preventing that are legal reasons rather than technical.

Nevertheless, Smirf announced in the OldU Discord that there'll be archive versions for v227j, as the installer can't properly generate symlinks.