Server Clockrates

Discussions about Servers
ProAsm
Skilled

Server Clockrates

Post by ProAsm »

Just something to ponder over.
If anyone has started noticing lag on some servers that never had lag before.
The lag on these servers has nothing to do with your ping and you could have a ping of 10 but still notice the lag.
After many months of looking into this problem I have come across a situation which I think is interesting and possibly causing this lag.

Up until around the middle of 2018 all computers ran at a Clockrate of between 54 and 69 ticks per second.
Modern computers from say 2019 and on-wards now have a Clockrate of approx 167 ticks per second, which is more than twice as fast.
Now if your home gaming computer is one of these newer computers then all is well for you.
However if the server computer has been updated to a new one running the higher clockrate and you have a computer pre 2018/19 you are going to feel lag.
This is because the server's clockrate (Tick functions) is running a little more than twice the speed of what your computer is running and your computer cannot absorb the data that the game is running at or at least the items that use the Tick functions.

All UTScript coders will know what I'm talking about here as many items run in the Tick functions which possibly affect the PostRender functions as well.
I might be barking up the wrong tree here but all thoughts on this are welcome.
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: Server Clockrates

Post by sektor2111 »

My two cents here.
ProAsm wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:30 pm Modern computers from say 2019 and on-wards now have a Clockrate of approx 167 ticks per second
And Actor's NetUpdateFrequency is 100...
ProAsm wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:30 pm This is because the server's clockrate (Tick functions) is running a little more than twice the speed of what your computer is running and your computer cannot absorb the data that the game is running at or at least the items that use the Tick functions.
This can be an overcrowded network capabilities toward 1024 channels available and some data is being discarded. Server can process 4000+ actors or more but not all data is being sent because there is no room in network for sending it and it goes discarded based on some net priority algorithm.

This was under discussions X times. I set servers with some amount of charge at no longer than 25, and I'm fine at 150 180 ping. 25 is for preventing image drop effect when you are firing minigun at a big monster and you might aim in wrong spot based on a location which lies server's real location.

Factors in account (not by mappers..) Movers and Inventories are 1st subjects in loading Network channels as I already pointed in a ported map topic where Buggie wrote a fix with success and map went into a more normal state.