CTF-XV-Face

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Buggie
Godlike

CTF-XV-Face

Post by Buggie »

Rework for CTF with X-Vehicles this map:
https://unrealarchive.org/maps/unreal-t ... 48c18.html

Shot00005.jpg
Shot00006.jpg
Shot00007.jpg
Shot00008.jpg
Shot00009.jpg
Shot00010.jpg
Shot00011.jpg
Shot00012.jpg
Shot00000.jpg
This map need XVehicles at least v41 for load:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=14936
CTF-XV-FaceV2.7z
(358.85 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
Last edited by Buggie on Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: CTF-XV-Face

Post by EvilGrins »

I did an edit of this previously, and I just want to say that putting non-flying vehicles on this map is a recipe for driving over the edge into space.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
darkbarrage99
Skilled
Personal rank: Barron O' Beefdip

Post by darkbarrage99 »

That Mapscale tool is definitely amazing.

I think this is a good example of a map where translocators should definitely be disabled. :thuup:

tried testing with bots, bots ignore vehicles unfortunately.

looking forward to future builds.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

bots not ignore it. But pick it rare. I even drop a lot health vial near. It not really help.
But I can not say then not use it at all.

Most jeeps. Rare - Manta. Very rare Heli or Tank. And if so try kill own team cannon (dumb bug in XV - will be fixed soon).

Also they able do insane stuff. I go record video with time for show.

Automatically merged

Some proofs on my words. Only bots in game. 4 vs 4.
Shot00001.jpg
Shot00002.jpg
Shot00003.jpg
Shot00004.jpg
Shot00005.jpg
Shot00006.jpg
Shot00007.jpg
Shot00008.jpg
Shot00009.jpg
Shot00010.jpg
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Shot00011.jpg
Shot00012.jpg
Shot00013.jpg
Shot00014.jpg
As you can see - mostly Jeeps. Able catch Manta once.
In general it i sbig problem, since Bots not be designed for make support of such.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

There is an invisible ledge beyond and below the edge of the 'ground' - not a very good shot showing my tank stuck on such a ledge looking towards the Red base. No idea if it is possible to do anything about this.
Face1.jpg

This shot shows the issue with firing downwards when on a ridge - the crosshair is on the target but the red dot is not - again not sure if anything can be done about this.
Face3.jpg
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

1. It is map BSP bug. Will see what I can do for it.
FYI original Face come with 2 deadly spots on top blue tower, few weird mismatches in blue tower, which create small holes, and not-collide walls, again on blue base.
All of this masked by place BlockAll actors.

I fix all of this here. But look like some other glitches appear.

2. It is not bug. Red dot show where pointed your gun. Crosshair show here you point camera. Gun not always able goes at such possition. For example in position on your sshot Pitch goes up, So gun limited by car roof, not able goes to aim here.

Also I see above something about MapScale tool. Yes. it help, but it is not one-click conversion. Asteroid will be scaled independent from bases. Bases reposition, Space scaled independent and with different scale factor.
Even find proper scale factor not easy task. So there very many manual work. I even not mention fix BSP errors or adjust base inner shape for make more space on it.

Automatically merged

Here you can see what bots capable do on this map:
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Thanks for the reply - I didn't realise that the crosshair shows where the camera points, now I get it.

The weapons lockers have an Unreal minigun - possibly an issue if the ammo in the map is for the UT minigun? I don't know as I usually play with Counter Strike weapons using StuffSwapper (this doesn't replace the UT weapons in the lockers but don't suppose this can be fixed - not a significant issue for me if there are standalone UT weapons in the map as well as these are swapped).
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Damn. type `minigun` instead `minigun2` when make it. Will be fixed in next version. Anyway CTFGame must replace it with minigun2 on first attempt touch this weapon locker and all must be fine after this.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

darkbarrage99 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:12 pmtried testing with bots, bots ignore vehicles unfortunately.
XV maps I've edited, I find if you want better bot usage you move some of the PlayerStarts next to vehicles.
darkbarrage99
Skilled
Personal rank: Barron O' Beefdip

Post by darkbarrage99 »

OjitroC wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:05 pm There is an invisible ledge beyond and below the edge of the 'ground' - not a very good shot showing my tank stuck on such a ledge looking towards the Red base. No idea if it is possible to do anything about this.
I actually got a manta stuck here and when I tried jumping and "ducking" a couple times to try to get out of it, I eventually I got launched downwards at quadruple speed lol
EvilGrins wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:12 am
darkbarrage99 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:12 pmtried testing with bots, bots ignore vehicles unfortunately.
XV maps I've edited, I find if you want better bot usage you move some of the PlayerStarts next to vehicles.
for the map I've been working on, I've either placed the vehicles in a path going towards the base that can't be avoided or I'll have an item like a health vial or a weapon with the desirability factor raised as high as an amp and the bots generally go for them. I've noticed that if there are too many options for the bots or too many path nodes they're more likely to ignore the vehicles entirely.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

darkbarrage99 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:55 pmI've noticed that if there are too many options for the bots or too many path nodes they're more likely to ignore the vehicles entirely.
Nice thing about pathing for bots, which Nelsona has pointed out to NUMEROUS times, is that more than just those little apples determines the pathing. Pickup items like weapons, ammo, health, armor, and other type stuff counts as pathing for bots, they're drawn to those things just as much as the little apples.

MonsterHunt map I've done much of the PlayerStart moving is GardenOfDeath, the red circled area is where they normally are. Along the sides of the starting is where I place the vehicles (no idea what those slots were originally for) circled in blue. I move a couple PlayerStarts, map has like 16 of them, into a couple of those slots... and the PlayerStarts are close enough to item pick up that it works well with the pathing.

Placing vehicles along already pathed routes is good, or pathing to the vehicles is good too... but it can be better to make sure that when a bot 1st spawns in there's a fair chance a vehicle will be there waiting for it; unless someone else already drove off in it.
Attachments
Shot0004.png
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

v1

- better bot support.
- fix some issues.

Updated in first post: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15317

Automatically merged

v2

- better bot support.
- fix some BSP issues.

Updated in first post: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15317
a9902957@nepwk.com
Experienced

Post by a9902957@nepwk.com »

Plays great! :gj: :rock:
Meet you guys on the server when?

On this one vehicles could also make a decisive factor once objectives would be added as well:
https://www.mapraider.com/maps/unreal-t ... -Manhunter
(wonder if that map's author could still get contacted).
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

a9902957@nepwk.com wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:04 pm On this one vehicles could also make a decisive factor once objectives would be added as well:
https://www.mapraider.com/maps/unreal-t ... -Manhunter
(wonder if that map's author could still get contacted).
My bad experience tell me - attempt convert any exists UT map to VCTF usually end badly.
Better not waste time and pickup for porting one from often played 2k4 VCTF map.
This has many chances for success, and already all things solved, balance setup and so on. Just blindly copy with some adjust.

Speaking about this map.
It not fit for VCTF for sure.
Too big. You will be drive to enemy few minutes, die, repeat forever. Gameplay too slow, so it be boring.

It can be converted to MH with vehs after some rework and make one-way path on it. But this need a lot of work + some planning.

You can not just pick big map, drop vehs + flags and get great vctf map.
Here you can see how good looking map can provide awful gameplay, because flow allow get advantage and start run other player by respawns. Even for bots.
I even not talk about humans.