UT469c RC2 Questions

Discussions about UT99
OjitroC
Godlike

UT469c RC2 Questions

Post by OjitroC »

It would be useful to be able to ask questions about the new RC - I have some questions but they are not issues/bugs.

1 The armor limit of 150 has now increased beyond that - no idea what the actual limit is but I soon acquired 200 - is this intentional?
2 The bug in UEd which makes it impossible to import sounds that are in a group (ALL) is still present - this does not appear in the list of bugs to fixed in the next RC - will it be fixed?
3 The Properties box for Actors now includes Hidden Properties - is it possible to edit these or is it obvious (but not to me) that because they are hidden they can not be edited?
Buggie
Godlike

Re: UT469c RC2 Questions

Post by Buggie »

Separate topic is good enough. Announcement topic must be locked. As showed history it is best practice here.

1. It is only HUD limit. All stay same, but now you in HUD can see actual armor value. Before be 150 if it goes 150+. So if it 200 now, it be 200 before, but you see it as 150.
And 200 is look like Epic miscalculate, but now it turn into feature.

2. Maybe in v469d. Not in v469c for sure.

3. You can edit them as well.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Thanks for the reply - forgot that the armor thing had been discussed before I now remember (but note that it doesn't appear in the Release Notes AFAIK).
Buggie wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:06 am 2. Maybe in v469d. Not in v469c for sure.
Re : importing sounds in UEd - the ability to do that is quite important - at the moment there are a lot of sounds that can't be imported in 469's Editor that can be in 436 so if one works with sounds (as I do) one needs to use 436 to that and then switch to 469 to do other things (not only can sounds in group (ALL) not be imported in 469 but they can not be assigned in say the AmbientSound actor or in ScriptedPawn sounds).

As a matter of interest why isn't this texture format supported in UT 99 if it is in Unreal 227?

Code: Select all

DevLoad: WARNING: Texture Female2Skins.Katryn has compressed data in its mipmaps. This texture might have been saved by Unreal 227. Unfortunately, Unreal Tournament does not support this texture format. We will try to convert the texture.
DevLoad: Uncompressed Mips not found. We will try to decompress on-the-fly
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Afaik there no any issues for specifically import sounds to v469 UEd. jsut not use weird group name (All) for it.

227 and 469 use different agreements how store compressed mipmaps. It cause a lot of bugs. Even in v436. Just now it noticed and you goes be warned about that. Before - weird things can happen.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

The problem is that the default 'voice packs' (Male1, Male2, Female1/2, Boss, Announcer) use the group (ALL) and a lot of custom voice packs and sound packages (uax) also use the group (ALL) so that it is quite a significant issue if one wants to assign sounds to, say, a 'new' subclassed ScriptedPawn (as I do fairly frequently) or to an AmbientSound actor- the choice of sounds one can use is limited in 469 and so one has to use 436 to be sure that one does not spend considerable time searching for sounds that one can actually assign in 469.

In passing I would note that I can no longer use OpenGL as my renderer in 469c though I could in 469b - luckily the EXUOpenGL renderer still works as I prefer that slightly to D3D9 (though that may be due simply to familiarity and that I would adjust to D3D9 if I used it frequently)
Spoiler
Log: Bound to OpenGLDrv.dll
Log: Initializing OpenGLDrv...
Init: Missing OpenGL function glActiveTexture (0)
Init: Missing OpenGL function glCompressedTexImage2D (0)
Init: Missing OpenGL function glCompressedTexSubImage2D (0)
Init: Missing OpenGL function glCompressedTexImage3D (0)
Init: Missing OpenGL function glCompressedTexSubImage3D (0)
Init: Missing OpenGL function glCopyTexSubImage3D (0)
Init: Missing OpenGL function glGetCompressedTexImage (0)
Init: Missing OpenGL function glTexImage3D (0)
Init: Missing OpenGL function glTexSubImage3D (0)
Warning: Missing required OpenGL1/2 capabilities
Init: OpenGLDrv: Unable to find supported OpenGL Context
Log: 3D hardware initialization failed
If I were to replace the 469c OpenGL renderer with the 469b OpenGL renderer, would the latter work in 469c?
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

> If I were to replace the 469c OpenGL renderer with the 469b OpenGL renderer, would the latter work in 469c?

IDK. Try. My guess - no.

(ALL) issue - it is on github. I hope be fixed for v469d. Unfortunately we limited in our resources for fix all bugs too fast.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Buggie wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:40 am > If I were to replace the 469c OpenGL renderer with the 469b OpenGL renderer, would the latter work in 469c?

IDK. Try. My guess - no.
Tried it and it seems to work - just tried one map for about 10 minutes and it seemed to work OK (no warnings or errors in the log about it either). Haven't tried anything else yet, other than the Editor.

Perhaps a stupid question but do we need all the files in the SystemLocalized directory other than the language we want to use? Will deleting all the files other than the int files cause any problems? Can I now go through my System folder and safely delete all the int files that also appear in the SystemLocalized/int folder? I ask because getting rid of the 'unwanted' files will save on disk space.

Do we actually need the .int files for the default UT maps? They aren't present in 436/451 and I don't remember any issues with the maps.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

> Perhaps a stupid question but do we need all the files in the SystemLocalized directory other than the language we want to use?
No. But I suggest always keep int, just in case.

> Will deleting all the files other than the int files cause any problems?
No.

> Can I now go through my System folder and safely delete all the int files that also appear in the SystemLocalized/int folder?
Yes.

> Do we actually need the .int files for the default UT maps?
Mostly no. But there can be some fixes even for int.
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

OjitroC wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:54 am In passing I would note that I can no longer use OpenGL as my renderer in 469c though I could in 469b
The 469c OpenGL is working for me, but... it has new features, I asked CacoFFF on Discord, and he confirmed that some are resource heavy and enabled by default. So for someone like me who games on a not so recent laptop, it may need some tinkering. I was getting lower fps, until I changed the color correction from framebuffer to inshader.
Neon_Knight
Adept

Post by Neon_Knight »

All localization files should go to SystemLocalized, including int, if only to have a cleaner System folder.

Also the .int for maps contain fixes for the maps themselves (some of those fixes are documented in the Fandom Unreal Wiki).

When you have a map that says that an area on one team's side belongs to the other team's side (looking at both of you, CTF-Beatitude and CTF-Dreary) or misname an area as having a weapon it doesn't actually contain (looking at you DM-Phobos), well, the better fix for those maps is an .int file.
OldUnreal U1v227/UTv469 Localization Project coordinator/spanish language maintainer - Unreal Wiki
ProTip 1: anybody using the phrase "I'm a True Fan and You're Not!" is an obnoxious, self-centered, egotistical, elitist, narcissist douchebag.
ProTip 2: anybody who uses the "Royal We" when making a demand wants to pass their own opinion as everyone else's.
ProTip 3: Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
ProTip 4: If the Duke Nukem Forever fiasco wasn't enough of a lesson, perfectionism leads to nothing positive. Don't be afraid of releasing a buggy product. Even the most polished product has its flaws.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Neon_Knight wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:05 pm Also the .int for maps contain fixes for the maps themselves (some of those fixes are documented in the Fandom Unreal Wiki).
Can you point to where that is as I had a quick look but the Release Notes section only documents upto 469b?
Buggie wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:06 am 1. It is only HUD limit. All stay same, but now you in HUD can see actual armor value. Before be 150 if it goes 150+. So if it 200 now, it be 200 before, but you see it as 150.
And 200 is look like Epic miscalculate, but now it turn into feature.
So what is the limit now? 200? as I got upto 214 at one point. This limit is hard coded and not capable of being changed by a setting somewhere?
Neon_Knight
Adept

Post by Neon_Knight »

OjitroC wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:30 pm
Neon_Knight wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:05 pm Also the .int for maps contain fixes for the maps themselves (some of those fixes are documented in the Fandom Unreal Wiki).
Can you point to where that is as I had a quick look but the Release Notes section only documents upto 469b?
https://unreal.fandom.com/wiki/CTF-Beat ... ation_bugs
https://unreal.fandom.com/wiki/CTF-Dreary#Location_bugs
https://unreal.fandom.com/wiki/CTF-Orbi ... ation_bugs
https://unreal.fandom.com/wiki/DM-Arcan ... ation_bugs
https://unreal.fandom.com/wiki/DM-Phobos#Location_bugs
https://unreal.fandom.com/wiki/DM-Shrap ... ation_bugs
https://unreal.fandom.com/wiki/DOM-Meta ... ation_bugs
https://unreal.fandom.com/wiki/DOM-Sesmar#Location_bugs

All of these fixes were included in v469a.

(Side note: Documenting the maps for the Wiki was quite fun, I should go back to continue that one day...)

Some maps (most famous of them DM-Pyramid) have worse errors that can't be fixed unless the map is modified/recompiled, a no-no for the project.
OldUnreal U1v227/UTv469 Localization Project coordinator/spanish language maintainer - Unreal Wiki
ProTip 1: anybody using the phrase "I'm a True Fan and You're Not!" is an obnoxious, self-centered, egotistical, elitist, narcissist douchebag.
ProTip 2: anybody who uses the "Royal We" when making a demand wants to pass their own opinion as everyone else's.
ProTip 3: Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
ProTip 4: If the Duke Nukem Forever fiasco wasn't enough of a lesson, perfectionism leads to nothing positive. Don't be afraid of releasing a buggy product. Even the most polished product has its flaws.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

> So what is the limit now? 200? as I got upto 214 at one point. This limit is hard coded and not capable of being changed by a setting somewhere?
Limit is 9999. Same as for health. It is hardcoded and can not be changed from somewhere.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Buggie wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:35 pm Limit is 9999. Same as for health. It is hardcoded and can not be changed from somewhere.
Oh, I see - that looks like fun - I managed to get up to 575 armour, not with default UT armour though.

Coming back to this

Code: Select all

DevLoad: WARNING: Texture HDSkinsCustom.HDnxxskins4hhht has compressed data in its mipmaps. This texture might have been saved by Unreal 227. Unfortunately, Unreal Tournament does not support this texture format. We will try to convert the texture.
DevLoad: Uncompressed Mips not found. We will try to decompress on-the-fly
The textures that generate this warning are S3TC and HD textures - do we know if they are actually being used in-game? Would be a pity if they aren't, not least because those .utx are huge in size compared to the orginal files and, of course, it would mean a lower visual quality.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Can't say anything here. Possible you need make visual comparison with old version and/or normal textures.
Possible this can be done even in UnrealEd.