CTF-XV-Bania-v824

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Buggie
Godlike

CTF-XV-Bania-v824

Post by Buggie »

Convert from UT2004 for CTF with X-Vehicles this map:
VCTF-Bania-v824

Shot00008.jpg
Shot00009.jpg
Shot00010.jpg
Shot00011.jpg
Shot00012.jpg
Shot00013.jpg
Shot00014.jpg
Shot00015.jpg
Shot00016.jpg
This map need XVehicles at least v59 for load:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=14936
CTF-XV-BaniaV2.7z
(12.48 MiB) Downloaded 12 times
Last edited by Buggie on Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: CTF-XV-Bania-v824

Post by EvilGrins »

Who is Mr. Smith?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Interesting map :tu:

Curious - why no helicos? Looks like they would work OK in this type of map.

Got this in the log

Code: Select all

Error: Mover CTF-XV-Bania-v824-v0.Mover1 (Function Engine.Actor.SetInitialState:001E) GotoState (RotatingMover None): State not found
Error: Mover CTF-XV-Bania-v824-v0.Mover24 (Function Engine.Actor.SetInitialState:001E) GotoState (RotatingMover None): State not found
There's something odd about these movers - the player tends to get stuck on something sometimes and then falls, suffering damage or dying - perhaps it's just me but they don't seem to always work smoothly
Bania1.jpg
Bania2.jpg
(Yes, there's a helico in one of the shots - I stuck one in to see how it would work).

Sektor's MapGarbage reports over 300 PathNodes with no incoming connections.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

OjitroC wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:23 am Sektor's MapGarbage reports over 300 PathNodes with no incoming connections.
Nope, after your rebuilding task it goes that way... Initially Nodes have aerial paths...
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:30 pm
OjitroC wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:23 am Sektor's MapGarbage reports over 300 PathNodes with no incoming connections.
Nope, after your rebuilding task it goes that way... Initially Nodes have aerial paths...
There were about 6 or 8 PathNodes originally without connections which were indeed in the air but they had no paths/connections - but they would have worked?

This raises a significant issue - how do we know that we shouldn't alter the map in some way that might involve adding or removing vehicles or inventory, or indeed anything else, which would then require rebuilding the paths? We have no means of knowing that.

Does the Manta require aerial paths? Once one sets off in it, the Manta 'falls' towards the water unless one goes along the raised walkway. I'm curious - I can keep the Manta in the air for a short while by jumping but that is for relatively short distances.

One more issue on the mover in my first screenshot above, sometimes the texture is invisible when looking down at it - all that one sees is the 'box' of the mover rather than the texture.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Manta in beta stage. Map in beta stage. Map built with experimental UnrealEd, where exists features which appear for public use (I hope) near v469d release.
Place vehicles do not need rebuild paths.
Some paths placed too high temporary, until I not decide what do with it.
Manta not require aerial paths, but I still not decide how solve realted to Manta problems. It is vehicle which in middle between fly and not fly. In ut99 no such concept as "hovering". And if above ground it close to "walk", then above water it is close more to "fly".

Movers ported from 2k4. Some I recreate to simple form, since it cause huge problems. Some not. Look like need recreate more.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

As far as I know, the only mod capable to deal with air routes was a SLV version hosted at HOF where I was experimenting an idea of A.I. support for flying using engine and not that "chain" causing sometimes iterations-limit crashes. They work pretty clumsy but still capable to get flag and fly back home... I did not look at vehicles but... over time maybe it will be improved and using all Paths-Net capabilities. At this moment they (air paths) don't seem used.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Buggie wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:26 am Movers ported from 2k4. Some I recreate to simple form, since it cause huge problems. Some not. Look like need recreate more.
The movers appear to be 'non-solid' - if you stand below the one in my second screenshot above and wait for it to come down, it will go 'through' the player rather than crushing the player or hitting the player and returning back up as movers normally do.

Thanks for the explanation about the Manta and paths - I hadn't fully understood the issues before.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

This option called ME_IgnoreWhenEncroach. Author do this intentionally. Not a bug.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

OjitroC wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:48 am The movers appear to be 'non-solid' - if you stand below the one in my second screenshot above and wait for it to come down, it will go 'through' the player rather than crushing the player or hitting the player and returning back up as movers normally do.
If a brush is 'non-solid', Actors (players, projectiles, ...) can pass it without collision. Try that with the mover when it is not moving.

A mover can also ignore anything that is in the way:

Code: Select all

class Mover extends Brush;
// How the mover should react when it encroaches an actor.
var() enum EMoverEncroachType
{
	ME_StopWhenEncroach,	// Stop when we hit an actor.
	ME_ReturnWhenEncroach,	// Return to previous position when we hit an actor.
   	ME_CrushWhenEncroach,   // Crush the poor helpless actor.
   	ME_IgnoreWhenEncroach,  // Ignore encroached actors.
} MoverEncroachType;

"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

OjitroC wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:23 am There's something odd about these movers - the player tends to get stuck on something sometimes and then falls, suffering damage or dying - perhaps it's just me but they don't seem to always work smoothly
This lifts move too fast. Faster from gravity with free fall.
Such lift impossible IRL.
In game used hack - if you attached to mover (stay on it), then you move as one piece, even if speed more gravity.

But there exists pitfall - any loose connection with moving mover can turn you in free fall, which is slower from lift movement.
You need hold walk for prevent disconnect you on such movers, by external actions to you.
If you not do this, then any shake (blow up vehicle near) or any shoot (pass you momentum) detach you from mover.

Maybe I can try make on detach add speed to detached actor, like lift jump do in opposite side, but there be another side effect.
If you now jump off near ground you not crash.
If you jump off near ground with fix - you smash. Since you on high speed hit ground.
You need full list stop before you can go off from it.

Maybe need some detection when you detach, how many way left and add speed only if distance less from smth. Or trace down to mover (which work not good on dedic usually).

Also sometimes you wanna lost connection from mover and jump on it for left in air. This goes be impossible after.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

v1

- remake all textures
- remake lifts
- improve patches

Now map need XVehicles at least v56 for load.

Updated in first post: viewtopic.php?t=15328
Ubir4
Adept

Post by Ubir4 »

Cool video, nice elevators.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

v2

- Fix bugged movers.
- Defenders now use top mantas if any.
- Bots able travel in central lifts with mantas
- Bots not try travel with manta on small lifts.
- improved some paths.
- bots jump down to jumppads if there dropped flag, or evemy flag carrier.
- bots jump down to pads if use boots.
- bots can jumps into water from top.

Now need XVehicles at least v59 for load.

Update in first post: viewtopic.php?t=15328