Post by UnrealGGecko »

Forgot to sticky this, might as well :P

Also I assume Unreal 1 dm map or Console map remakes would be ok too? :tongue:
fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

Re: 25th Anniversary of Unreal Tournament

Post by fudgonaut »

UnrealGGecko wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:52 pm Forgot to sticky this, might as well :P
Thanks!
UnrealGGecko wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:52 pm Also I assume Unreal 1 dm map or Console map remakes would be ok too? :tongue:
I don't see why not. Just add them to the spreadsheet. I'm pleased to note that the spreadsheet has 5 mappers working on content, I expect that number to increase over time.

While the this project started on the premise of re-imagining stock maps, I don't think there should be any limitations on maps, or content in general. The latest poll results show an interest in new player skins, game types, and mutators.

My hope is this thread inspires a shared goal of using all tools & knowlege at the community's disposal to create content that really celebrates the game & its staying power.

EDIT: For shorthand, I was thinking of calling this 25AP (the 25th Anniversary Project) unless someone else has a catchier name for it.
darksonny
Adept

Post by darksonny »

UnrealGGecko wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:52 pm Forgot to sticky this, might as well :P

Also I assume Unreal 1 dm map or Console map remakes would be ok too? :tongue:
Yes! make it happen, please sir! It would be grreat seeing uplifted old maps with new visual both from ut and unreal :tu: :rock: :rock: :tongue:

pd: Except from them deck, face map they are too overpublished and over versioned
fudgonaut wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:12 pm
EDIT: For shorthand, I was thinking of calling this 25AP (the 25th Anniversary Project) unless someone else has a catchier name for it.
What about these namepack? for example:
1) Reloaded Visual Mappack or...
2) Anniversary Legend Mappack or...
3) UT Tribute Mappack
4) The Legend Mappack
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

fudgonaut wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:12 pm The latest poll results show an interest in new player skins, game types, and mutators.
I wonder if it would be useful to ask people what kinds of mutators and game types they would like to see? There are hundreds of mutators and dozens of game types out there already but perhaps people are aware of gaps that could be filled - it would possibly be more beneficial to focus on what people want rather than to expend effort on something which may find few 'takers' (plus it might avoid duplicating/replicatint stuff already around)? Just a thought.

If the 25th Anniversary of UT is going to be celebrated, then perhaps it might also be appropriate to highlight or showcase, in some way, some of the standout 'stuff' that has been produced for the game in the 'past' 25 years and to celebrate the creators? Just another thought.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

OjitroC wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:51 pm I wonder if it would be useful to ask people what kinds of mutators and game types they would like to see? There are hundreds of mutators and dozens of game types out there already but perhaps people are aware of gaps that could be filled - it would possibly be more beneficial to focus on what people want rather than to expend effort on something which may find few 'takers' (plus it might avoid duplicating/replicatint stuff already around)? Just a thought.
The last time something similar was done, we ended up doing a ChaosUT map pack, and it didn't turn out as good as initially expected.

If it's to prevent repetition, rather than deciding on a limited range of mutators and such, full freedom should be given instead and the mappers should just openly communicate what they intend to do and do it for/with, just like the maps themselves.

Around 10 years ago this was the approach that worked best, especially outside of a "contest" format with the UT99.org map packs (namely the 2nd one), to the point that someone even submitted a full single-player campaign for UT, and it was awesome.

OjitroC wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:51 pm If the 25th Anniversary of UT is going to be celebrated, then perhaps it might also be appropriate to highlight or showcase, in some way, some of the standout 'stuff' that has been produced for the game in the 'past' 25 years and to celebrate the creators? Just another thought.
I think that by the time the 25th anniversary rolls around, there might be some people that will produce videos on their own about the game itself and maybe some mods, especially people outside of the community itself.
I recall something similar to have been done back during the 20th anniversary.

Having that said, doing something like that as a community sounds like a nice thought, although the main concern in that case will be considering what the "highlights" are in that sense, because there's just so much to pick from (one of the greatest things of this game), and it may lead to a polarized reaction and discussion within the community.

Some of them are no-brainers I believe, stuff most will agree with (Monsterhunt, Bunnytrack, Siege, Zeroping, SLV, Rocket-X, ChaosUT, U4E, Newnet, ACE, FoT maps, Oldskool, ...), but others may be the subject of some discussion and will likely end up being very subjective and a result of what people enjoy nowadays rather than what the real impacts were across the 25 years of the game.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Feralidragon wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:12 pm If it's to prevent repetition, rather than deciding on a limited range of mutators and such, full freedom should be given instead and the mappers should just openly communicate what they intend to do and do it for/with, just like the maps themselves ...

... the main concern in that case will be considering what the "highlights" are in that sense, because there's just so much to pick from (one of the greatest things of this game), and it may lead to a polarized reaction and discussion within the community.
Yes, fair enough - just thought I would 'throw it' out there.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Just to ensure my previous post isn't taken the wrong way: they're good ideas, I am not invalidating them at all, I was just trying to provide some context concerning what happened in the past with similar situations (lessons learned), and what kind of content and challenges may be expected. :)

As long as those are considered moving forward, there are plenty of ways to make those ideas work to a great extent, and things do not have to be necessarily the same as back then.

I would also suggest a revisit to all the past map packs produced by ut99.org in particular, be them just map packs or contests, because there's a good deal of learning to get from them, in terms of execution, management (the forum topics themselves) and the actual content produced.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Ok finally got all the sounds for a voicepack I could add here, it's gonna be the FemaleTwo from UT v220. How should I better call it though? FemaleTwoBeta? FemaleThree? 🤔
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Feralidragon wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:57 pm Just to ensure my previous post isn't taken the wrong way
Certainly not taken the wrong way by me - it's good to generate debate and get feedback.
UnrealGGecko wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:29 pm Ok finally got all the sounds for a voicepack I could add here, it's gonna be the FemaleTwo from UT v220. How should I better call it though? FemaleTwoBeta? FemaleThree? 🤔
That's good :tu:. FemaleTwoBeta is fine - describes what it is and shouldn't cause confusion (which FemaleThree might do). An alternative might be FemaleTwo220? No strong opinion either way.

Thing is are we going to have to wait 2 years for it? :P
UnrealGGecko
Godlike

Post by UnrealGGecko »

You waited 23 years already, 2 more can't hurt right? :mrgreen:

EDIT: Yea Idk might release it early as standalone first or something.
Whitey
Average
Personal rank: Bunny Tracker

Post by Whitey »

I've wanted to do a remake of DM-Agony.

If no ones doing that i'll take that one on.
Favourite-Weapons: Sniper & Shock Rifle
Favourite-Drink: coffee
Favourite-Games: UT-GOTY & VietCong
Favourite-Map: DM-Deck16][
UnrealGGecko
Godlike

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Whitey wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:33 am I've wanted to do a remake of DM-Agony.

If no ones doing that i'll take that one on.
Have a look at fudgonaut's signature, there's a Google Doc where you can add in what ya wanna work on. :tu:
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Honestly, to decide what kinds of mutators etc, just assemble a bunch of modders and use parliamentary procedure to figure on what would be best.

First one of them would propose an idea, then each person would give their two cents on it, including suggestions for changes on the idea, and a vote would be held; and if a 2/3rds supermajority is not achieved, the proposer would selectively apply suggestions for changes, including their own, and then would try again, until either the supermajority is achieved or the proposer drops the idea themselves.

It sounds complicated written like that but it's actually just a description of a natural way that 'brainstorming' happens in communities!
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

Post by fudgonaut »

So what are we gonna call this thing? How about "25AC" (25th Anniversary Celebration)?

Just a reminder: if mappers are looking for textures or music, I have a bunch of resources can share. PM me.

I strongly advocate that we don't use any stock textures for these maps. A new coat of paint on everything.

We now have 8 mappers signed up to work on 14 maps, which is an excellent start. We can always use more!

If you want to participate but don't know what to work on, check out the polls (in my sig) for ideas.

ALSO: What do participants think about a having dedicated Discord chat room for the 25AC?
Pikko
Skilled
Personal rank: Old ClanMan

Post by Pikko »

fudgonaut wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:05 pm So what are we gonna call this thing? How about "25AC" (25th Anniversary Celebration)?

Just a reminder: if mappers are looking for textures or music, I have a bunch of resources can share. PM me.

I strongly advocate that we don't use any stock textures for these maps. A new coat of paint on everything.

We now have 8 mappers signed up to work on 14 maps, which is an excellent start. We can always use more!

If you want to participate but don't know what to work on, check out the polls (in my sig) for ideas.

ALSO: What do participants think about a having dedicated Discord chat room for the 25AC?
25AC , sounds good to me ;-)