DM-[NES]UrbanSniperZone

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
browndl
Skilled

DM-[NES]UrbanSniperZone

Post by browndl »

I would appreciate if someone could give me the contact info for KristoF his map did not include a readme. I am developing a rework of Urban Sniper Zone. Being a fan of urban themed sniper arenas I downloaded the map. Needless to say I was disappointed to find there was no bot pathing. I decided to path it for myself since I mostly play UT offline. But after getting into it I realized significant changes to the geometry were required (though the main theme of the map remains) to actually make the map enjoyable with bots. I am including a link to a short video I captured just to show the map and the interaction.

After putting in all this work I thought I would release it once I am finished but I would like the KristoF to approve first.

(just uploaded 9:10pm 8/20- may still be processing HD)
UT99 DM-DSKilnWorks3993:DM-DSWashNDry:DM-DSRedDawn:DM-DSBacktoSchool:DM-DSTowerBridge:DM-DSDeadeyeCanyon:DM-DSSectionn8Refinery:DM-DeckardsRevenge:DM-DSStudio:DM-SniperTown:DM-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-Wastelands:DM-TurboGen23:DM-LongForgotten:DOM-Dockside:CTF-enMakhana:CTF-UrbanSniper:CTF-CanyonWars:CTF-DSTowerBridge Unreal Badlands CiderTown UT99 Infiltration DM-INF-MagnumDocksDeluxe:DM-INF-MagnumDocks2:DM-INF-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-INF-CityStorageLotA][:DM-INF-ColumbianDrugLord:EAS-INF-DS-RailBridge:DM-INF-ACityBlock:CTF-INF-SavageKillersHeadQuarters:CTF-INF-Capital:CTF-INF-ComplexB UT2003/04 DM-PineValley:DM-Koltoff:CTF-PawnsKeep:CTF-Ardimus Rainbow Six RavenShield AlleyStrike
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: DM-[NES]UrbanSniperZone

Post by EvilGrins »

So, bit of caution... most mappers like if you ask their permission before altering their maps.

Given you're asking for contact info, I'm guessing you haven't done that yet.

Only place KristoF on this forum is mentioned is here · viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15031&p=133999
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Post by UTPe »

You can contact {MOS}*KrystoF* on Discord: Team {MOS} channel or, possibly, UT99 Camper Sniper Community channel.
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

KrystoF is also a member of this forum - last active 14 August this year - not sure if it is the same person?
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

EvilGrins wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:52 am So, bit of caution... most mappers like if you ask their permission before altering their maps.

Given you're asking for contact info, I'm guessing you haven't done that yet.

Only place KristoF on this forum is mentioned is here · viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15031&p=133999
Thanks for the warning, unnecessary as it is. I do not plan on releasing this modified map being the mapper is currently active until I get his permission. Having said that, as a mapper myself I have zero expectation to be contacted about someone altering my maps. I cannot tell you how many times my level Sniper Town Depot has been modified, and I received no notice. And even though I have seen a couple reworks I really don't like I still don't mind them having changed it.
UT99 DM-DSKilnWorks3993:DM-DSWashNDry:DM-DSRedDawn:DM-DSBacktoSchool:DM-DSTowerBridge:DM-DSDeadeyeCanyon:DM-DSSectionn8Refinery:DM-DeckardsRevenge:DM-DSStudio:DM-SniperTown:DM-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-Wastelands:DM-TurboGen23:DM-LongForgotten:DOM-Dockside:CTF-enMakhana:CTF-UrbanSniper:CTF-CanyonWars:CTF-DSTowerBridge Unreal Badlands CiderTown UT99 Infiltration DM-INF-MagnumDocksDeluxe:DM-INF-MagnumDocks2:DM-INF-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-INF-CityStorageLotA][:DM-INF-ColumbianDrugLord:EAS-INF-DS-RailBridge:DM-INF-ACityBlock:CTF-INF-SavageKillersHeadQuarters:CTF-INF-Capital:CTF-INF-ComplexB UT2003/04 DM-PineValley:DM-Koltoff:CTF-PawnsKeep:CTF-Ardimus Rainbow Six RavenShield AlleyStrike
sXs-sketchpad
Experienced

Post by sXs-sketchpad »

hi there also nix does do a lot of urban maps he also works with krystof to make loads of maps if you look here http://ut99maps.gamezoo.org/ at the top are some really nice urban sniper maps.
partly the reason there are no bot paths is they are used in cite matches and on sniper servers
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

sXs-sketchpad wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:22 pm hi there also nix does do a lot of urban maps he also works with krystof to make loads of maps if you look here http://ut99maps.gamezoo.org/ at the top are some really nice urban sniper maps.
partly the reason there are no bot paths is they are used in cite matches and on sniper servers
Thanks, that is where I originally downloaded the map. I have downloaded a couple of others of his and he doesn't include readmes, so no contact info.
OjitroC wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:26 am KrystoF is also a member of this forum - last active 14 August this year - not sure if it is the same person?
Thanks, I will message him, see if I get a response.
UTPe wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:39 am You can contact {MOS}*KrystoF* on Discord: Team {MOS} channel or, possibly, UT99 Camper Sniper Community channel.
Appreciate it, I could not find either of those on discord.

And just to reassure everyone once I realized there was no bot support on this map I figured it was made for clan gaming which I get. Back in the day I was a founding member of ZSZ which is the reason why I made sniper arenas. I have no intentions of releasing the map if I cannot get his approval and I do appreciate the advise for caution. I am so glad to see the UT community thriving as it is. And these forums are so great. I hope to be a positive presence here also.

Automatically merged

I received permission from KrystoF to continue modifying the map.
Lunic
Average
Personal rank: The Best One

Post by Lunic »

If you are looking for [NES] mappers (me or Krystof) you can do it on the Sniper camping community discord server: https://discord.gg/zFKuav3qHC
or if you looking for the MOS discord: https://discord.gg/cG6GQesG
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

Thanks everyone, for all the suggestions. I was able to speak with KrystoF. He is looking at the modified map. Once he approves I will release it.

Automatically merged

KrystoF checked the map out and approved.

Here is a link --> https://www.dropbox.com/s/rbst6j9osb74f ... 2.zip?dl=1

I am including his original map in this file as well.

The base architecture is his. Though I did make significant changes regarding spawn points, interior spaces, textures, bot pathing and pickups. Though as it is right now the only weapon pick-up is the sniper rifle as that the intent of the level- a sniper arena. I hope some folks who play offline will enjoy it. Although bots will never really play as camper snipers, you can still find a couple places to hide. As always, your comments are welcome.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

browndl wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:47 pm I hope some folks who play offline will enjoy it.
It is, indeed, very enjoyable - I like the way you have opened up the interiors of the buildings and added some high level connections so that there are additional ways to move around the map other than by using the translocator (though this is, of course, still necessary). Also seem to be more lifts but perhaps my memory is faulty as it's a while since I played the original version. All in all, a very nice rework :gj:

When I first played it, I did think that there weren't a lot of sniper rifles - it took me quite a while to find one but looking in the Editor there are around 17(?) so there are probably enough. Playing it again, I found a rilfe pretty quickly. Not sure about jump boots - didn't check them.

Sektor's MapGarbage tool reports an issue with some of the LiftCentres.

As a matter of interest, which versions of Sniper Town Depot don't you like? Are there any you do like? Have you thought about reworking it (not that I'm suggesting that it needs reworking but it could be interesting)?
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

OjitroC wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:17 am
browndl wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:47 pm I hope some folks who play offline will enjoy it.
It is, indeed, very enjoyable - I like the way you have opened up the interiors of the buildings and added some high level connections so that there are additional ways to move around the map other than by using the translocator (though this is, of course, still necessary). Also seem to be more lifts but perhaps my memory is faulty as it's a while since I played the original version. All in all, a very nice rework :gj:

When I first played it, I did think that there weren't a lot of sniper rifles - it took me quite a while to find one but looking in the Editor there are around 17(?) so there are probably enough. Playing it again, I found a rilfe pretty quickly. Not sure about jump boots - didn't check them.

Sektor's MapGarbage tool reports an issue with some of the LiftCentres.

As a matter of interest, which versions of Sniper Town Depot don't you like? Are there any you do like? Have you thought about reworking it (not that I'm suggesting that it needs reworking but it could be interesting)?
Thanks for the feedback.
It was interesting trying find the right number and placement balance for single weapon placement. I don't remember the total number of rifles or jump boots.

I did actually remove one the lifts, the lifts were all original to the map I only moved them and added call triggers and bot pathing.

I am curious what the report on the lift centers was.

Concerning your question about Sniper Town Depot, I don't really want to call anyone out for their choice of changes. If they enjoy it then all the better and bonus, the map is still being played.
As far as reworking the map, I don't know it seems like there are so many versions out there. But who knows.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

browndl wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:43 am I am curious what the report on the lift centers was.
This is what MapGarbage reported
Spoiler
PotentialLiftFound: LiftCenter0 has a nearby Mover Mover2, but is not connected with it. Check if this is wrong.

WrongPoint: LiftCenter1 doesn't have a private LiftTag string defined, which is pretty wrong.
BorkedStrings: This might not have connections or... it can be connected through walls with Exits if they exist.

PotentialLiftFound: LiftCenter3 has a nearby Mover Mover1, but is not connected with it. Check if this is wrong.

PotentialLiftFound: LiftCenter4 has a nearby Mover Mover6, but is not connected with it. Check if this is wrong.

PotentialLiftFound: LiftCenter5 has a nearby Mover Mover7, but is not connected with it. Check if this is wrong.

PotentialLiftFound: LiftCenter6 has a nearby Mover Mover3, but is not connected with it. Check if this is wrong.

PotentialLiftFound: LiftCenter9 has a nearby Mover Mover5, but is not connected with it. Check if this is wrong.

FlawedCombos: This map has 1 messed up Combos, you need to check settings...
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

OjitroC wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:27 am
browndl wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:43 am I am curious what the report on the lift centers was.
This is what MapGarbage reported
Spoiler
PotentialLiftFound: LiftCenter0 has a nearby Mover Mover2, but is not connected with it. Check if this is wrong.

WrongPoint: LiftCenter1 doesn't have a private LiftTag string defined, which is pretty wrong.
BorkedStrings: This might not have connections or... it can be connected through walls with Exits if they exist.

PotentialLiftFound: LiftCenter3 has a nearby Mover Mover1, but is not connected with it. Check if this is wrong.

PotentialLiftFound: LiftCenter4 has a nearby Mover Mover6, but is not connected with it. Check if this is wrong.

PotentialLiftFound: LiftCenter5 has a nearby Mover Mover7, but is not connected with it. Check if this is wrong.

PotentialLiftFound: LiftCenter6 has a nearby Mover Mover3, but is not connected with it. Check if this is wrong.

PotentialLiftFound: LiftCenter9 has a nearby Mover Mover5, but is not connected with it. Check if this is wrong.

FlawedCombos: This map has 1 messed up Combos, you need to check settings...
Thanks for that. I will check them each out.