25th Anniversary of Unreal Tournament

Discussions about UT99
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Re: 25th Anniversary of Unreal Tournament

Post by UnrealGGecko »

fudgonaut wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:05 pm So what are we gonna call this thing? How about "25AC" (25th Anniversary Celebration)?
Think we had the 20AC mappack, so for continuation that works :thuup:
Just a reminder: if mappers are looking for textures or music, I have a bunch of resources can share. PM me.
I strongly advocate that we don't use any stock textures for these maps. A new coat of paint on everything.
Yea I still need to figure out if what Im trying with Liandri will work (im hella slow), might PM ya for some egyptian stuff if it does. I'm terrible with anything art related so best I can do is find an already ok to use utx file and rolling with it. :mrgreen:
ALSO: What do participants think about a having dedicated Discord chat room for the 25AC?
Sure, could help with any potential collaborate submissions for sure. Though I dunno how many of the entrants use Discord.
Aspide
Skilled

Post by Aspide »

I'm planning to make some sequel maps for some of the console exclusive maps of UT99, I have already finished a sequel to DOM-Osiris and I'm planning to make sequels to CTF-Sepulchre and DM-Flux as well. The maps won't be that big and won't use any custom content (because the console exclusive maps are very simple so I want to stay consistent with that idea). Maybe later I will make sequels to maps from the original Unreal, some of the maps in that game need more love :tu:
Somewhere in Nevada...
UnrealGGecko
Godlike

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Got an idea for DOM-CiDom, that one definitely needs a bit of a layout change, hate how the rooftop CP is inaccessible. Thinking I could work put the theme on this one I was wondering about too for a long while (a frozen in time, greyscaled NaliTown) I'll sign it, but if anyone wants to work on it now, feel free to write your name on it instead, haven't started it yet.
fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

Post by fudgonaut »

UnrealGGecko wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:59 am a frozen in time, greyscaled NaliTown
That's a cool concept! Reminds me of Estatica for Quake III.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike

Post by UnrealGGecko »

It's more inspired my DeathoX 8's MH-DarkWhite , but the frozen in time bit is just an excuse why it's all gray (the only colour would be the main action, the CPs and if I plan on using the FoT control points, a few lights that would point toward the CP). I'm not the best with layouts and planned on using a bigger map for this theme, but CiDom should fit well enough :P

There should be a Nali that knocked a few barrels for sure lol :D
fudgonaut
Adept

Post by fudgonaut »

I've settled on the geometry for my Hydro reboot. It's blend of Hydro UT/UT2k4/UT3 plus my own spin. It will have a more futuristic industrial theme than the original

If any of the participating mappers would like to run around my whitebox for a few minutes to give it a sanity check, let me know, it would be much appreciated.

I'd like participants — dare I call us the 25AC team — to share our progress with eachother so we can exchange feedback, discuss & hone the content. Maybe you more talented mappers don't need it, but I do :mrgreen:

In this regard, a Discord channel seems like a good idea. I also have my own private forum (where the 25AC poll is), if participants are comfortable with phpBB instead.

So, 25AC team: what do you think? Discord or private forum?
_21
Average

Post by _21 »

Discord sounds like a good addition next to the forums, some people might prefer discord some forums.

I'm tempted to give DM-Crane a shot! When I get some time. But would make multiple layout changes if that's alright, I find the current DM-Crane to be too claustrophobic. I'd like to open it up to have more paths for people take would make it an excellent map.
fudgonaut
Adept

Post by fudgonaut »

_21 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:04 pm Discord sounds like a good addition next to the forums, some people might prefer discord some forums.
I've hardly used Discord so I don't know how to take advantage of its features.

The main reason I'm leaning towards hosting on my phpBB is beacause we can dedicate a thread to each map, and (much like here) mappers can put their latest version at the top of the thread.

It occurs to me another option would be to set up a private Github repository.
_21 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:04 pmI'm tempted to give DM-Crane a shot! When I get some time. But would make multiple layout changes if that's alright, I find the current DM-Crane to be too claustrophobic. I'd like to open it up to have more paths for people take would make it an excellent map.
That's absolutely fine! There are no restrictions on how participants choose to reimagine a map.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Add mine, RoninMastaFX's and Ghostwheel's votes for private Discord :)
Que
Inhuman
Personal rank: ...

Post by Que »

Keep it public I think , there's really not that many people left in this community as it is?
*Join our Discord Here.*
Our mods - MVX , SSB , SmartWFL , UTCmds , BotCommands , Smart Stats , join/leave announcer , NoSmoke , UTLogin , BrightSkins , Server Tran…
*Our Servers
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

GitHub will appease to people on both sides of the turf. Dunno what the point is on making it private unless we want a SURPRISE PARTY!!!!
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Shrimp
Adept

Post by Shrimp »

Making it private in any capacity on any platform seems like it would needlessly raise the barrier to entry and lower the interest in participation.
ShrimpWorks
Unreal Archive - preserving over 25 years of user-created content for the Unreal series!
fudgonaut
Adept

Post by fudgonaut »

Anyone who wants to participate in the 25AC is encouraged to do so! There are no barriers to entry.

Participation on Discord is not mandatory. It's merely a quiet corner where contributors — if they so choose — can discuss progress, feedback, and resources.

So that this Ut99.org thread doesn't get clogged with minutiae or content that is not ready for prime time :mrgreen:
TourianTourist
Novice

Post by TourianTourist »

For the 20th Anniversary I started working on an "Ultimate Console Map Pack", which had all maps and map variants from the Dreamcast and PS2 versions of Unreal Tournament in a faithful way (exact weapon and item placements, spawn points, and so on). I made some good progress over two years ago, where I had finished working on all the Dreamcast-exclusive maps, but the project then came to a halt, because some of the PS2-exclusive maps have proven to be more complicated to recreate faithfully.

I'd love to finish this map pack for the 25th Anniversary, but I would keep it separate from the 25AC project and I would also probably need some help from more experienced mappers here to work on the trickier maps. If someone is interested, let me know.
Virgile
Average

Post by Virgile »

Hey. Is there a map contest or a map pack project on this occasion? (... no I didn't read everything here, I'm too bad in english for that, some messages will be enough)