DOM-SpaceX

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
LDinos
Novice

DOM-SpaceX

Post by LDinos »

My first serious-published map (last time I uploaded a map was when I was very young with no experience). I didn't know what title to give to the map :)

My personal opinion: Some places look very nice and I am proud of that. Some others (mostly the open areas) look empty and I have no motivation on what to put in them. The flow of the map, spawns and the pathfinding is good, so you will at least have fun playing with bots!
Update 1: Changed Default game type and the lighting on the left corridor that was too bright
Update 2: Did a cleanup
Update 3: Changed some weapon and ammo positions

= = = = = = = Gameplay = = = = = = =

= = = = = = = Screenshots = = = = = = =

= = = = = = = Download = = = = = = =

https://github.com/LDinos/ut-maps
Last edited by LDinos on Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Re: DOM-SpaceX

Post by UnrealGGecko »

DefaultGametype wasn't set to Domination in the Level Properties so when I double clicked the map file I was playing it as DM :tongue: . Not bad! Some decent ideas here, interesting layout. Item placement felt weird though, no need to place every weapon in a smaller map like this one, and there's spots with defintely a lot of pickups. Other than that, bots were ok during the quick match I played (sektor might find if anything is wrong with it), but I know at least one of the teleporters points to a wall which is annoying.

Still, :gj: . Keeping it in my collection, can always appreciate a good DOM map in there :)
LDinos
Novice

Post by LDinos »

Thank you for the comment! I didn't know I needed to set-up a default game type. I thought the naming DOM would do the work. Plus I didn't see that in any official DOM maps >.> (pic shown as an example)

Either way I will update the map and also I will take a look at the teleporter to make it always have you look in front :)
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Interesting map :gj:

It would perhaps be a good idea to get hold of 3 very useful tools for checking maps - MapGarbage, MapChecker and PathsChecker - all are available for download on this forum.

There is no route to the ShieldBelt from any of the PlayerStarts nor is there a route to DefencePoint3. A number of the PathNodes have no incoming connections and there's a couple placed in the void (as is DefencePoint3). The tools report various other 'things' that you may wish to check.
LDinos
Novice

Post by LDinos »

Thank you! The shield belt was a bit of a difficult thing to make the bots look for because it is in the air (they usually take it though accidentally when falling). I will see what I can do and thank you for telling me about the tools :)
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

LDinos wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:47 pm I didn't know I needed to set-up a default game type. I thought the naming DOM would do the work. Plus I didn't see that in any official DOM maps >.> (pic shown as an example)
Either way I will update the map and also I will take a look at the teleporter to make it always have you look in front :)
I'm not sure how necessary it is, it's simply for that occurence where you select the map you want not from the UT menu but from the map folder clicking the unr file :p

If I'd select the map from UT it would play DOM just fine.
LDinos
Novice

Post by LDinos »

OjitroC wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:13 am Interesting map :gj:

It would perhaps be a good idea to get hold of 3 very useful tools for checking maps - MapGarbage, MapChecker and PathsChecker - all are available for download on this forum.

There is no route to the ShieldBelt from any of the PlayerStarts nor is there a route to DefencePoint3. A number of the PathNodes have no incoming connections and there's a couple placed in the void (as is DefencePoint3). The tools report various other 'things' that you may wish to check.
The tools were really helpful, I removed lots of junk that I forgot to take out and I think the map should be good now
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

When the mapper placed his screenshots of the map I somehow though it was bigger...
Image Image Image Image
...it's not small, but it seemed less large than I was expecting when I was looking it over.

Good map, bots use the whole area. Has some nice telefrag areas to get shields and stuff.
Last edited by EvilGrins on Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
LDinos
Novice

Post by LDinos »

Thank you for your comment! Did you find the redeemer? ;)