Inability to frag/kill anyone a possible server restriction?

Discussions about UT99
imno007
Novice

Inability to frag/kill anyone a possible server restriction?

Post by imno007 »

I've recently returned to the game and been playing mostly CTF. Everything was fine for the first few days I was back, no problems, but then on the CTF server I usually play on, partly because it's the most populated, I started noticing that I could not longer frag opponents. I could stand just feet from them and hit them with a rocket launcher 3 or 4 times and nothing would happen to them. At first I thought these were maybe people hacking, but then realized I couldn't frag anyone at all, and my teammates weren't having the same problem. Is this a known thing that can happen on a server now, some kind of restriction imposed on a player for some reason? And if so, what would that reason likely be? I'm definitely not using any kind of hacks, so I don't imagine that would be it, unless a mod or something I've installed has triggered something. I DID almost always have the most flag captures, so is it maybe some kind of handicap imposed for doing too well? Do things like that happen on some servers? TIA
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: Inability to frag/kill anyone a possible server restriction?

Post by Feralidragon »

It is technically possible to implement restrictions like those (it's very easy in fact), but whether it is an actual restriction or just a bug is something you would need to check with the server owner.

In the best case scenario, it could just be a bug (especially if the server uses NewNet, which is basically custom netcode for the standard weapons).
In that case, rejoining the server should fix it.

In the worst case scenario, it could be a server-side tool to maybe shadow-ban you: maybe the server or an admin detected "something", not necessarily a cheat, but rather something you did "wrong" in relation to their server rules perhaps (many of these populated servers have very strict rules in what you can and cannot do), and that could have led for you to be flagged in their server and rather than just kick or ban you, they opt to disable your ability to inflict damage to other players.

Either way, you will need to test it out, and maybe contact the server owner to check what is going on.
imno007
Novice

Post by imno007 »

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, it's looking like I was targeted specifically, since this happened over the space of a couple days, and last night I was kicked from the server and haven't been able to get back on since. I tried just now and still got instantly disconnected. No idea why, because I wasn't typing anything in chat and the only things I had installed were what was recommended in this guide:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/13240/di ... 314809171/

Thanks again
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Was it maybe an InstaGib CTF server with the notorious "No back shooting" rule?
Que
Inhuman
Personal rank: ...

Post by Que »

papercoffee wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:18 am Was it maybe an InstaGib CTF server with the notorious "No back shooting" rule?
yeah which server was it?

here's a good NormalWeapons CTF Server you could bookmark;

74.91.122.128:7777 ~ --- The Realm V2 Waiting for players...
*Join our Discord Here.*
Our mods - MVX , SSB , SmartWFL , UTCmds , BotCommands , Smart Stats , join/leave announcer , NoSmoke , UTLogin , BrightSkins , Server Tran…
*Our Servers
imno007
Novice

Post by imno007 »

It's the FNN-DE all weapons CTF server. They banned my IP address.