25th Anniversary of Unreal Tournament

Discussions about UT99
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Re: 25th Anniversary of Unreal Tournament

Post by UnrealGGecko »

I think a new thread might be in order, this one was just a discussion phase mostly, but there is a mappack in the works of mostly remakes of the UT maps that came with the game. Since the deadline is still miles away feel free to join in if you have an idea :)
Virgile
Average

Post by Virgile »

UnrealGGecko wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:12 pm I think a new thread might be in order, this one was just a discussion phase mostly, but there is a mappack in the works of mostly remakes of the UT maps that came with the game. Since the deadline is still miles away feel free to join in if you have an idea :)
I actually have one, tell me (or redirect) to everything I need to know, and I get to work. :thuup:
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

So, is there a place to post the maps we are working on for beta testing?
UT99 DM-DSKilnWorks3993:DM-DSWashNDry:DM-DSRedDawn:DM-DSBacktoSchool:DM-DSTowerBridge:DM-DSDeadeyeCanyon:DM-DSSectionn8Refinery:DM-DeckardsRevenge:DM-DSStudio:DM-SniperTown:DM-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-Wastelands:DM-TurboGen23:DM-LongForgotten:DOM-Dockside:CTF-enMakhana:CTF-UrbanSniper:CTF-CanyonWars:CTF-DSTowerBridge Unreal Badlands CiderTown UT99 Infiltration DM-INF-MagnumDocksDeluxe:DM-INF-MagnumDocks2:DM-INF-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-INF-CityStorageLotA][:DM-INF-ColumbianDrugLord:EAS-INF-DS-RailBridge:DM-INF-ACityBlock:CTF-INF-SavageKillersHeadQuarters:CTF-INF-Capital:CTF-INF-ComplexB UT2003/04 DM-PineValley:DM-Koltoff:CTF-PawnsKeep:CTF-Ardimus Rainbow Six RavenShield AlleyStrike
Berserker
Experienced

Post by Berserker »

I might give Codex a shot.
Visit us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/fcRakgNCjR Image
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Just saying but maybe you can also take inspiration from the beta versions of some maps (now that there are even two more or less "full" beta versions out there).

tcrf has stuff listed (not for the earlier 221 version though which contains huge differences, until someone makes a page)

https://tcrf.net/Proto:Unreal_Tournamen ... tch_Levels

https://tcrf.net/Proto:Unreal_Tournamen ... #DM-Phobos

https://tcrf.net/Proto:Unreal_Tournamen ... Gun_Window

Automatically merged

I also interviewed Inoxx recently when the new beta surfaced and he did reveal to me there used to be more rooms in ctf-face once and also metaldream used to have spaceship on the bottom of the water area where there was a lift going between the hatch (seen in the beta but not on tcrf screenshots) and the ship.

there was also a cut map called Ketzen that was actually cut from Unreal or so(maybe already intended for the level pack) but is still refered to in noxxsnd (it turned into a domination map).

It was set on a skaarj spaceship and unfortunately we didn't get to see it.
fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

Post by fudgonaut »

Hello all, just letting you know that the 25AC project is proceeding well. People are of course encouraged to participate!

I'll pop in every once in a while to post a few pictures of works in progress to whet your appetite:

The skybox for DM-25AC-Phobos is coming together nicely. Unlike the original map, Phobos Station is actually in orbit around Phobos :mrgreen:
phobos.jpg

A couple shots of DM-25AC-Peak
peak-redux.jpg
peak-redux-2.jpg

And I've finished geometry, texture, and lighting for CTF-25AC-Hydro16][ (it was originally going to be a Redux, but now is a sequel)
hydro][-2.jpg
hydro][.jpg
Chrysaor
Average

Post by Chrysaor »

This looks like a cool project. I'm surprised Epic isn't marking the 25th anniversary in their own way though. They owe their careers to Unreal and UT, hard to believe they don't get sentimental sometimes.

What would be really nice is a one-click download for "UTHD" that would update the maps, skins, textures, etc. It was a bit confusing for me to figure out how to update my UT experience, tho the pimp my UT thread was helpful.

I might be interested in doing a map or two. Let me see where I land with my current project first. I'm worried it will consume me, lol.
fudgonaut
Adept

Post by fudgonaut »

more Phobos progess

Shot0001.jpg
Shot0002.jpg
Shot0003.jpg

Automatically merged

(probably won't keep this lighting effect because of likely server perfomance issues, but it's a neat proof-of-concept)
fudgonaut
Adept

Post by fudgonaut »

As Shrimp mentioned, it is the 23rd anniversary of Unreal Tournament! That means only 24 months until the 25th Anniversary!

We've got some neat stuff in the works. Contact me if you're interested in contributing to the 25AC project.

Cheers!
Chrysaor
Average

Post by Chrysaor »

fudgonaut, that skybox in Phobos is amazing. I know it was a pain to figure out, but it was worth it. Great job!
fudgonaut
Adept

Post by fudgonaut »

Chrysaor wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:41 am fudgonaut, that skybox in Phobos is amazing. I know it was a pain to figure out, but it was worth it. Great job!
Thanks! Unfortunately the effect creates a performance hit, so it won't be in the final map. Event without the (fake) dynamic lighting, the skybox came out pretty good.

I'm not the best mapper, but skyboxes are my superpower :mrgreen:
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

If you're thinking of remakes of ctf face further, please take into consideration those two maps too
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15548&p=139694#p139694

the conversions from both ut beta versions. Maybe something bigger can be made with those themes and even interior of ctf face (like was in face III for example in ut2003). And because there used to be more interior things before they got cut. yrex kind of recreated it anew with the asp pack btw but that was for singleplayer.
fudgonaut
Adept

Post by fudgonaut »

Some screenshots of Swiftshade's stunning work on DM-Gothic:
Shot00001.jpg
Shot00002.jpg
Shot00003.jpg
Shot00004.jpg
Shot00005.jpg
Shot00006.jpg