How I can update a .u file

Discussions about UT99
Jojonew
Novice
Personal rank: 10

How I can update a .u file

Post by Jojonew »

:facepalm: The subject title looks not very professional as I’m a beginner…so is there any tutorial to show how to update an .u package which miss the original source
Thanks!
Buggie
Godlike

Re: How I can update a .u file

Post by Buggie »

You can use tools like UTPT or UE Explorer for decompile code. But it still need a lot manual work after that.

Extract decompiled code, polish, put it back and modify.
Jojonew
Novice

Post by Jojonew »

Buggie wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:21 am You can use tools like UTPT or UE Explorer for decompile code. But it still need a lot manual work after that.

Extract decompiled code, polish, put it back and modify.
I have these toolings….decompiled , polish , modify….and then I don’t know how I can do ….I can’t use ucc make to rebuild the package because I don’t have all the materials..
So is there any detailed example that show me how I can modify some part of the package.u
Thank you!
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Open file in UnrealEd, open all classes on it, paste code in each. Compile. Save. You get package with sources.
Jojonew
Novice

Post by Jojonew »

Buggie wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:02 am Open file in UnrealEd, open all classes on it, paste code in each. Compile. Save. You get package with sources.
First thank you for your reply. Let me clarify..I have a package for a weapon effect.I have the texture file .utx and I have the package file .u and I want to add some new effects in this package.how I can do?
Thanks again.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

For what? Possible better make additional file, instead of modify exists. Or you need rename it, for avoid network mismatch.

Anyway for work with package, without code, you need do as above said:
1. Decompile code.
2. Fix mistakes.
3. Open package in UnrealEd.
4. Paste fixed decompiled code into classes.
5. Compile package and save.

Such package used as base for create renamed one, or as base for link against original package, if you make extension with additional package.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

It really depends on what your purpose is. If your .u file is a unique file you have created, then you don't need to add the effects textures into the .u file if they replace existing effects, you can merely reference the new effects from the .utx file in the relevant effects properties in your u file.

Alternatively you can import the effects textures as pcx into the u file. Open the .u file - then open the Texture Browser - click on import - highlight the pcxs you want to import - in the dialogue that comes up give the package name as the name of your .u file, leave the group blank and click on OK. The pcxs should then be shown in the Texture Browser and you should be able to assign them to the appropriate existing effects property/ies - save the .u file. This method works for me with skins (and sounds) so should work OK.

Of course, if the u file you want to modify is a default UT file and you want to distribute it then doing what I've suggested will give rise to file conflicts and mismatches - hence the point about what you want to do with the altered .u file. If it is for your use only then the method suggested is fine.

Again, of course, if the weapon effects are entirely new (that is, not in the existing code) you will, of course, need to modify the code as Buggie has indicated.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Didn't see anyone else mention this, so I'd like to ask if the .u in question is an original file you made or is it one of the UT default files?

If it's the latter, updating it might be bad... if you play online. If it's the same file lots of others have any you change it, likely would cause file conflicts when joining other people's games.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Jojonew
Novice

Post by Jojonew »

First thanks all of you guys. Let me make a little clearer.
I’m not very good at English hope you can understand.
This game is just for my use it’s my hobby .
Background:
1:This is a MMORPG game and I have set up the server on my PC it can work well.
2:I find the effect function on weapon is in the .u file.
3:The .u file is a big package included many functions of this game like the UI , the hit effect,NPC,skill,etc….
4: A MMORPG game’s weapon effect is separated from the 3D mesh. That means there is a separate texture or static mesh in game and use other package to link to the weapon.
I can import new 3D mesh to this game and modify the texture
My trouble:
1:Is it possible to repackage the .u …? There are 102 .uc files in the package.
2:Is it possible to update some parts of the package .u like replacing the effect of weapon function.

Remark for toolings: UE explorer;UTPT;Umodel;UnrealEd

I would be grateful for your responses and any progress I will share to you.

Thanks again.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

If you make change on system file of MMORPG game, then nobody will able connect to this server anymore.
It must be some sort of extension. But all highly depends from what this game offer (download custom packages or no).
You need say name of game at least, because approach can be different for different games.
Jojonew
Novice

Post by Jojonew »

Buggie wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:52 am If you make change on system file of MMORPG game, then nobody will able connect to this server anymore.
It must be some sort of extension. But all highly depends from what this game offer (download custom packages or no).
You need say name of game at least, because approach can be different for different games.
I have a topic at “who are you”
And i mentioned “1:This is a MMORPG game and I have set up the server on my PC it can work well.” Now it is just like a single-play game on your computer not an online game.
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15495&p=139090#p138998
Below is the picture,I just want to change this line and put it back to .u file
Attachments
3D4DF609-89D0-4B05-98A2-C872693A953E.png
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

This lines called "defaultproperties" and it is easy editable via UnrealEd.
Actor browser - Class default properties.
Jojonew
Novice

Post by Jojonew »

:facepalm: :facepalm: :shock:
It’s too hard for a new beginner….and for this case I cannot open the .u……could you please help write down the process step by step….many thanks…I will upload the .u file.
Buggie wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:52 am This lines called "defaultproperties" and it is easy editable via UnrealEd.
Actor browser - Class default properties.
Attachments
Sephiroth.u
(817.88 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

You can not open .u file outside your game. it is linked to Engine, Core and other game files. So you need open in UnrealEd of your game. Open Actor Browser. Search desired class in actor tree. Righ click on it. Choose "Default properties". Change desired property. Check package. Choose in menu "Save selected packages".
Jojonew
Novice

Post by Jojonew »

Thank you,Buggie.
Today I’ll try to make the unrealEd environment in this game.
Buggie wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:13 pm You can not open .u file outside your game. it is linked to Engine, Core and other game files. So you need open in UnrealEd of your game. Open Actor Browser. Search desired class in actor tree. Righ click on it. Choose "Default properties". Change desired property. Check package. Choose in menu "Save selected packages".

Automatically merged

Oops…that would be a long way and hard way to modify this game.I don’t how to do next..I don’t know how to set up the working environment of unrealEd in this game to open a .u file.

Here is the new bow weapon I imported into this game. :ironic2:

Automatically merged

Anyone know set up the working environment of unrealEd in a game?
Attachments
5C1B5F1D-549B-47DF-8233-A934346F70A6.jpeg
221BCC75-5397-40DC-8C17-6D4F61A5B372.jpeg