Classic LMS (Release)

Discussions about GameTypes
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Classic LMS (Release)

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

I refered to this before in the thread in coding/scripting, but since I got a bunch of files uploaded already I'm putting the stable version here (and the broken/bug version in the other thread, for reference, later)

Classic LMS

This is a modified Last Man Standing gametype that is made to be like the Last Man Standing in the 220 and 221 versions of UT "beta" content. I did incorporate however changes that were made to the gametype since so it is more "modern" than the old code.

What this is in practice is like usual, except you can pickup weapons and I recommend to turn on the coop weapon mode on, but if you feel like not doing that, then be my guest.

I do have a simple question though. Did someone make a team version of Last Man Standing yet? Also perhaps someone made something like this ages ago without knowing LMS started like this. But I was considering revisiting the "Regicide" idea and could make it into something like "King of The Fortress" or something gametype.

If you'll start refering me to "battle royale" or whatever I am not interested in that, as such, because it comes with tons of extra rules/features whatever. I want to make things simple and oldskool, but there are some things I am not sure how to exactly balance. I'd just like to know if there was ever a team LMS or not.
Old UT Veteran
Skilled

Re: Classic LMS (Release)

Post by Old UT Veteran »

Leo(T.C.K.) wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:28 pm
I do have a simple question though. Did someone make a team version of Last Man Standing yet? Also perhaps someone made something like this ages ago without knowing LMS started like this. But I was considering revisiting the "Regicide" idea and could make it into something like "King of The Fortress" or something gametype.

I'd just like to know if there was ever a team LMS or not.
There is a more 'accessible' last team standing mod called TeamLMS, located here: http://www.ut-files.com/index.php?dir=GameTypes/LMS/
It was a little buggy. Way back I was messing around with it to fix an issue with the timer and gameEnd conditions. From what I remember, it had an issue with the time limit - clock would run to 0 and game would no end - and a spectator glitch or something of the sort for the 'out' team. Can't remember.

But then I found another mod which is named MortalLMS - I decided to just stick with this for a while since it seemed more customizable and didn't have bugs that could cause certain game rules to break the match; it sufficed while I was more into LMS style gametypes. I no longer have that file, unfortunately.

I was able to find a link but the download is inactive for me: https://unrealadmin.org/forums/showthre ... post152124
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Old UT Veteran wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:56 pm
Leo(T.C.K.) wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:28 pm

I'd just like to know if there was ever a team LMS or not.
There is a more 'accessible' last team standing mod called TeamLMS, located here: http://www.ut-files.com/index.php?dir=GameTypes/LMS/
It was a little buggy. Way back I was messing around with it to fix an issue with the timer and gameEnd conditions. From what I remember, it had an issue with the time limit - clock would run to 0 and game would no end - and a spectator glitch or something of the sort for the 'out' team. Can't remember.

But then I found another mod which is named MortalLMS - I decided to just stick with this for a while since it seemed more customizable and didn't have bugs that could cause certain game rules to break the match; it sufficed while I was more into LMS style gametypes. I no longer have that file, unfortunately.

I was able to find a link but the download is inactive for me: https://unrealadmin.org/forums/showthre ... post152124
Medor posted a reply there and he has it mirrored on his site apparently.

Either way if that is all the lms stuff there has been (including what he posted), then it looks like something like Classic LMS hasn't been done before after all, surprising really. Like everyone associates the "give all weapons" with lms exclusively like that mutator thing and not the fact that you have limited lives. Sometimes I don't know what the community is thinking. I mean you create a mutator called DMLMS and all it does is give you all the weapons and remove items except for jumpboots. Kind of missing the point of the name "last man standing" here.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Yea I'll need to have a look through the other LMS gametypes one day, I remember the Team LMS one being buggy, which is a shame as I like the idea of that one.
asosed
Adept

Post by asosed »

you can try TeamLMS at fnn. I have made many fixes.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=15398
Old UT Veteran
Skilled

Post by Old UT Veteran »

asosed wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:00 pm you can try TeamLMS at fnn. I have made many fixes.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=15398
I had looked at this and it appears to be slightly modified version of the mod I had linked in here (1st one in my post), albeit probably more net-friendly. It also appears to have the same time limit bug as the original one.
I previously never looked at using a time limit in TLMS but, funny enough, someone had pointed this out to me since they liked using time limits in their games.
Leo(T.C.K.) wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:28 pm But I was considering revisiting the "Regicide" idea and could make it into something like "King of The Fortress" or something gametype.
Never heard of these. King of the Fortress as in something similar to King of the Hill?
asosed
Adept

Post by asosed »

Old UT Veteran wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:48 pm I had looked at this and it appears to be slightly modified version of the mod I had linked in here (1st one in my post), albeit probably more net-friendly. It also appears to have the same time limit bug as the original one.
I previously never looked at using a time limit in TLMS but, funny enough, someone had pointed this out to me since they liked using time limits in their games.
Are you saying that I can't disable the time limit? Or what is the bug?
Old UT Veteran
Skilled

Post by Old UT Veteran »

asosed wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:27 pm
Old UT Veteran wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:48 pm I had looked at this and it appears to be slightly modified version of the mod I had linked in here (1st one in my post), albeit probably more net-friendly. It also appears to have the same time limit bug as the original one.
Are you saying that I can't disable the time limit? Or what is the bug?
If you set a time limit for the match, the game will enter a sudden death mode immediately because it 'sees' that all players in the match have equal number of lives. In other words, the match ends as soon as one team has a life count advantage, even when there is time left on the clock.

Setting a time limit forces a sudden death rule to apply. Maybe this was the author's intended design, but, from my impression, sudden death should be applied after the time remaining has gone to 0 and IF the game notices that 2 or more teams have the same score count. At this point, whichever team does not lose a point ends up winning.
asosed
Adept

Post by asosed »

Old UT Veteran wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:11 pm If you set a time limit for the match, the game will enter a sudden death mode immediately because it 'sees' that all players in the match have equal number of lives. In other words, the match ends as soon as one team has a life count advantage, even when there is time left on the clock.

Setting a time limit forces a sudden death rule to apply. Maybe this was the author's intended design, but, from my impression, sudden death should be applied after the time remaining has gone to 0 and IF the game notices that 2 or more teams have the same score count. At this point, whichever team does not lose a point ends up winning.
Then everything works great :) You can check here 195.98.73.166:7777. An unequal number of players is always balanced by a bot.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

I don't think he gets it. Either way to answer the question...
"Regicide" was a proposed early unreal gametype, all the way back in 1995.
The idea can be reworked into a game like "King of The Fortress" which I think sounds better.
Basically it was like a team LMS, except that also each team had a king they had to protect. I don't think this was ever implemented in any version, this was just on paper.
This could be easily played on ctf maps. But I indeed thought of combinbing the unreal version of king of the hill (not the mod one, i mean the original gametype which doesn't have players control a certain area, its just to become the koth who is overpowered bastard and when you become koth you get full health).

But that could introduce problems, so I don't know. I mean normally you become koth when you draw the first blood, then by killing koth and if koth suicides then its the next player who scores...
But how do you then translate that into a team game? Like separately counting "first frag" of each team or having the king be picked random at the start?? And what happens if someone on the other team kills the opposite team's king? he can't become a king if there's one already on his team so...what then?

So many questions and balancing issues need to be adressed in this, but I think its a sound idea. I think the original idea was actually for the king to be like a wip person to be protected on each team, so you don't have flags but that instead. But combining koth and team lms seems like a better idea to me honestly.
Old UT Veteran
Skilled

Post by Old UT Veteran »

Leo(T.C.K.) wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:17 am Basically it was like a team LMS, except that also each team had a king they had to protect. I don't think this was ever implemented in any version, this was just on paper.
This could be easily played on ctf maps.
There is an Assault map, I think called AS-SkaarjBase that I remember playing on, years back.
Its one of the more memorable maps because of the final objective, which your description brings back to memory:

The attackers fight their way into the defenders base which has a modified fortStandard that is a Skaarj pawn of some sort. The skaarj would fight back and all, but the round was won once the attacking team killed the skaarj - final objective.

---

Just an idea... Flip this concept for CTF?
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Old UT Veteran wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:03 pm
Leo(T.C.K.) wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:17 am Basically it was like a team LMS, except that also each team had a king they had to protect. I don't think this was ever implemented in any version, this was just on paper.
This could be easily played on ctf maps.
There is an Assault map, I think called AS-SkaarjBase that I remember playing on, years back.
Its one of the more memorable maps because of the final objective, which your description brings back to memory:

The attackers fight their way into the defenders base which has a modified fortStandard that is a Skaarj pawn of some sort. The skaarj would fight back and all, but the round was won once the attacking team killed the skaarj - final objective.

---

Just an idea... Flip this concept for CTF?
I don't get it. I mean with assault, fortstandard is at least a type of stationarypawn so this kind of makes sense, however how would that be applicable here? Players become flags? Or what.

Or the king would be a scriptedpawn? (though that is not the intention, it has to be a player)