[solved] XServerQuery - Server missing in Browser list

Discussions about Servers
Buggie
Godlike

Re: XServerQuery - Server missing in Browser list

Post by Buggie »

Impossible mention issue if you not aware about it possibility. But even then need know exact cases for blame something.

Hardly notice miss some server in list if you not know for sure it must be there.

For example you can use UT and think 100 servers in list is pretty normal. And accidentally know after years - all others see 600+ servers. Nobody talk and compare this stuff.
So users think - if I see something then it is work.

Hard detect thing which is partially broken.

Imagine clock which show 90% right time, but other 10% - no. if you not make goal check it, hardly notice that.
For example 2 random consequent minutes not equal. How you can detect such?

Same here. No complain not mean there no impact about that.
Eternity
Skilled

Post by Eternity »

Then it is another type of problem at all...
Developer sees no request for some option enhancement, thinks nobody needs it and so doesn't work on it, while actually nobody just knows it is needed.

That's more complicated problem then, i don't even imagine how can this be fixed.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

It is very common problem which lead from simple fact: people who make product not use it.
So they have no idea which is useful or no. Really useful. Not by some imagination how things must go.

It is everywhere. People who make decision how e-shops must look and work, often not buy in own shop as regular user.
People who decide how must work taxi system, very unlikely use own taxi service on regular basis.

People who use stuff usually not know internal things and what can be done, and not able analyse stuff.
But who know and able - usually not use stuff and don't have experience for make proper conclusions.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

You touched the point here. I could not say it better... Three thumbs Up - > :tu: :tu: :tu:
____
I do mod but not install it in my environment.
I do maps not playing them - lol.
etc etc
I work because probably I have too much free time not because my work is useful at something :lol2: .
____
Reconfiguration: This is the definition of The Failure - it's all ignorance based.

The sad things
You did those builders but I see a lot of flawed works which could be prevented by using those checkers. I'm using my builders intensively but I see maps that could be nicely polished by simply using these scripted checks and tweaks. Who cares ? See ? The same ignorance - nothing more, nothing less.
First are requested some tools. Once delivered needed tools they are going unused. Explain me then what's up with such attitude.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:46 am The sad things
You did those builders but I see a lot of flawed works which could be prevented by using those checkers. I'm using my builders intensively but I see maps that could be nicely polished by simply using these scripted checks and tweaks. Who cares ? See ? The same ignorance - nothing more, nothing less.
First are requested some tools. Once delivered needed tools they are going unused. Explain me then what's up with such attitude.
You're right of course - these tools are available but part of the 'problem' is that they receive little or no publicity (on this forum or elsewhere) - people will only be aware of them if they happen to browse a particular topic/thread on this forum (or visit the HoF forum). These threads/topics are easy to miss if one does not visit the forum with reasonable regularity and then read or look at every previously unread thread/topic - people will access the forum in different ways and not all may use the portal and go to Recently Active Threads, which makes browsing recent posts more difficult. So that's the first hurdle, lack of knowledge of their existence - then, of course, users must have the desire to install and use the tools.

One suggestion for the admins - introduce a Mapping Tools sticky topic in Discussions - Mapping and link to the threads containing useful (vital?!) tools - this could give them a little more prominence.