MAPS - the best maps made by community

Discussions about UT99
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: MAPS - the best maps made by community

Post by sektor2111 »

Said file is not even needed by map - but shared for no purpose. Map's time-stamp is earlier than "dependent" file - this doesn't make any sense. A map done today won't use files from future :omfg: . And to be honest I could see much better maps than these ones...

If things toward "best maps" are taken this way I think I must ask admins to lock this thread for good...
Xalian71
Novice
Personal rank: Novice

Post by Xalian71 »

Thanks for all your feedback, especially you sektor2111. I've obviously done it all wrong. I shall take the necessary steps to correct my utterly atrocious actions. Oh yeah, and of course I'll look for a thread (or perhaps create one myself) called Worst Maps where I'll obviously upload my maps to. And by the way sektor2111, it astonishes me that without including it with the LavaRun map, somehow everyone just has the "unnecessary" UTX file which I created and is therefore custom. Very strange, that. I thought maps made with custom textures would simply display the "green bubbles" texture if the custom texture couldn't be found, but obviously I'm completely in the dark about what's going on.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Xalian71 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:41 pm ... it astonishes me that without including it with the LavaRun map, somehow everyone just has the "unnecessary" UTX file which I created and is therefore custom. Very strange, that. I thought maps made with custom textures would simply display the "green bubbles" texture if the custom texture couldn't be found, but obviously I'm completely in the dark about what's going on.
Your custom textures are actually included in the map - they are in MyLevel - and so your MyLevel.utx is unneccessary. You can test that for yourself by removing your MyLevel.utx from your Textures folder and load the map either in a game or in the Editor (in the Texture Browser look under MyLevel and you will see your textures).

Don't be too put off by the tone of some of responces you have got - this Forum needs and welcomes new members and the vast majority of people on here are welcoming, helpful, positive and encouraging - keep mapping as well :tu: (though make sure you give your texture packages unique names :P ).
Xalian71
Novice
Personal rank: Novice

Post by Xalian71 »

Thanks OjitroC for the much more respectful response. I knew that uploading something called MyLevel wasn't a good idea, but at the time I thought a .UTX file HAD to be included and I was rushed for time, trying to create a LavaRun.utx file and getting my map to reference it in the editor, but it wasn't working out right so I thought I would just upload the ill-named MyLevel file for now, just to get my map out there. I thought it might be viewed with a little scorn but I had no idea of the barrage of warnings and ill-mannered aggression it would attract. I feel like as a result of it I'm teetering on the edge of being permanently banned. It's ridiculous. After all our presence here is merely because of a game. Anyway, thanks for educating me about not needing .UTX files for custom textures. I could swear I'd experienced loading maps requiring custom textures but not having the appropriate UTX file, resulting in the "green bubbles" texture being displayed. I was only doing what I thought I had to by including the UTX file. I will eliminate it from my upload, and create my own thread with a much more downplayed name regarding my expertise with maps. I should have paid more attention to the name of this thread and I didn't, so for that I am extremely apologetic to all that I have offended as a result. I'm sure many (ahem... sektor2111) will be thrilled to know that I have now removed the links from this thread to my maps ... sorry, I mean my abhorrent desecrations.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

:D It won't be any explosion, we were facing some "packages" executed by various mapping tools, you don't have to be worried at all.
Either way I will reveal you a cute thing concerning this topic with "best" included. I think in 2022 is really outdated and let me explain why.
Some of these impressive somehow old maps defined as "best" based on some old criteria, now days can be better than "best" - demolishing the term "best" or simply revealing that they are not the best. Recently were written some plugins for Editor and various assets for doing generic checks/tasks. After applying small fixes pointed by these checker builders for Editor, we can get something better than what was called "best" a few years ago when UT's mapping repositories with checking tools were mainly ZERO. Except some brush builders, community did not have real tools for doing some scripted examinations which can evade from human eye or reinforcing user to look in spot for whatever is reported as issue - some tweaks might look as a wrong thing but it's not wrong, and such.
If you look over forum (using that search feature) you'll find more details which can be extremely helpful.
jmartin
Skilled

Post by jmartin »

Probably the best mapper of all time in my opinion was John Falgate, AKA AngelHeart.

https://www.mapraider.com/maps/unreal-t ... DM-2019-XS

The first time I played DmDowntown, I knew I wanted to take a stab at this whole 3D editor thing.
Not only does John make some of the most impressive maps I've ever seen, he is a prolific artist.
Where some guys make a few maps, and you never hear from them again, John's portfolio includes dozens of maps spanning many different platforms.

His Blade Runner map DM-2019 is a masterpiece, containing a myriad of locations and details from the movie and could easily be made into a game of its own.
I'm glad guys like this exist. It keeps me humble, and encourages me to be a better mapper.

https://www.mapraider.com/maps/unreal-t ... /DM-LV-426

https://www.mapraider.com/maps/unreal-t ... /DM-AChina

https://www.mapraider.com/maps/unreal-t ... /DM-Angkor

https://www.mapraider.com/maps/unreal-t ... eakfast2K3
Attachments
dm-2019ss.jpg
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

Those are 2k4 maps however.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Bummer
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Swanky wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:24 pm Those are 2k4 maps however.
Not all of them. 2 are 2k3, 1 is 2k4.

This one?
https://www.mapraider.com/maps/unreal-t ... /DM-LV-426
That's ut99!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758