Xalian71's Maps

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Xalian71
Novice
Personal rank: Novice

Xalian71's Maps

Post by Xalian71 »

I created these maps in around 2007. I was tinkering with the editor while learning it, so please don't expect outstanding maps. They were originally made just for me to play games with the Bots, but I thought they might bring an element of fun to humans playing them now. I know the lighting isn't great in some of them but they should still be playable.

Automatically merged

Lava Run is a small CTF map designed for intensive gameplay and lots of fun.

The pictures on the walls were me experimenting with custom textures all that time ago.

The random window at the red base is because after creating and playing it for a while I thought the map needed something more so I was going to open it up a bit, but after making that window and the background outside it I decided it would just be too much hassle so I left it.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ws0ghfap ... n.unr/file
LavaRun 01.jpg
LavaRun 02.jpg
LavaRun 03.jpg
LavaRun 04.jpg
LavaRun 05.jpg
LavaRun 06.jpg
LavaRun 07.jpg
LavaRun 08.jpg
Last edited by Xalian71 on Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Xalian71
Novice

Re: Xalian71's Maps

Post by Xalian71 »

Lava Dome is also a small CTF map intended for high-octane gaming.

Its walkways between platforms are narrow so nimble navigational skills and possibly jumping skills would lead to a win.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/xff5jc5r ... e.unr/file
LavaDome 01.jpg
LavaDome 02.jpg
LavaDome 03.jpg
LavaDome 04.jpg
LavaDome 05.jpg
Last edited by Xalian71 on Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xalian71
Novice

Post by Xalian71 »

DivideAndJumper is a large CTF map consisting of a cliff-faced precipice over which players must launch themselves using jump pads to grab their opponents' flag.

There's an ancient side and a futuristic side but both sides have equal advantages regardless of the layout.

The ancient side team should look in the water for pick-ups. The futuristic side team can access theirs through a teleporter.

The screenshots below are no longer quite accurate as I've since changed the layout of the map somewhat, but they should still mostly show what the map looks like.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/9powf95k ... r.unr/file
DivideAndJumper 01.jpg
DivideAndJumper 02.jpg
DivideAndJumper 03.jpg
DivideAndJumper 04.jpg
DivideAndJumper 05.jpg
DivideAndJumper 06.jpg
DivideAndJumper 07.jpg
DivideAndJumper 08.jpg
DivideAndJumper 09.jpg
DivideAndJumper 10.jpg
Last edited by Xalian71 on Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:32 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Xalian71
Novice

Post by Xalian71 »

Sky Wire is also a large CTF map with a city scape style and 2 cable cars that travel between bases which are on building tops.

The idea is for each team to leave some players guarding their flag while the rest enter the cable car to emerge as a little army at their opponent's base.

A cable car is activated by a player standing in the centre of its floor. Once activated it takes 4 seconds for a cable car to start moving, giving other team members time to pile in.

A cable car returns to its start position after waiting a little while at the opposite end of its route, meaning once an opponent's flag has been acquired it is the opponent team's cable car that must be used to return to a team's base (with the flag in tow of course).

Although a fall from a building is long, implying certain death, somehow players don't always die when they land. So if you fall and don't die then look for teleporters nearby to return you to the closest base.

I didn't get the lighting right with this map, so the flags, weapons and health boxes look dark. Apologies for that, but the map should still be very playable regardless.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/vxyhmkkw ... 4.unr/file
SkyWire 01.jpg
SkyWire 02.jpg
SkyWire 03.jpg
SkyWire 04.jpg
SkyWire 05.jpg
SkyWire 06.jpg
SkyWire 07.jpg
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Looks interesting, will check them out.

One little thing, admins here are not fond of double posting... and you triple posted. Ideally don't like anyone making posts back to back in the same thread within 24 hours.

Just a heads up.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Xalian71
Novice

Post by Xalian71 »

Oh really? I had no idea. I thought posting new maps was wanted here - the more the better I thought. Can I ask why the restriction on posting?
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Xalian71 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:02 am Oh really? I had no idea. I thought posting new maps was wanted here - the more the better I thought. Can I ask why the restriction on posting?
They are, but whenever I post a new map or skin I open an entirely new thread for it... and I don't tend to release them all on the same day.

Not sure why the rule, I'm not an admin.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I would not count that as double posting since each post covers a different map.

It's not a restriction, I think they want more of trying to not soak up drive space or speed without tons of extra posts.

All they mean is to not post back when you can edit the first post. So like if you had 5 comments in a row and keep making a new reply, as opposed to just adding it to the first edit. Is all they mean 24 hours you can add a new reply. UNLESS,m you are replying to someone else,

I would not want it all combined for the whole thing, in this case.
Binary Space Partitioning
Xalian71
Novice

Post by Xalian71 »

Thank you for your replies. I should have familiarized myself with the House Rules first. I've now read them and don't mean to break any rules. I'll leave my next map post for Sunday to ensure that more than 24 hours has passed since my last map post.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Xalian71 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:53 am Thank you for your replies. I should have familiarized myself with the House Rules first. I've now read them and don't mean to break any rules. I'll leave my next map post for Sunday to ensure that more than 24 hours has passed since my last map post.
You don't have to do that as your last post has been followed by posts from EG and Red_Fist - double posting is to do with consecutive posts by the same poster - your sequence of posting has been broken by posts from other posters.

Should you wish you can now post another of your maps.
fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

Post by fudgonaut »

Xalian71 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:53 am Thank you for your replies. I should have familiarized myself with the House Rules first. I've now read them and don't mean to break any rules. I'll leave my next map post for Sunday to ensure that more than 24 hours has passed since my last map post.
If no one has commented on your thread but you have new information, you can always edit the text of your most recent post to include that info. I don't think that's considered double-posting. Not to worry, you'll get the hang of it.

I like the concept behind CTF-Skywire. There's a real sense of scale, and acrophobia. The base layouts could be made more interesting. Your maps have a lot of flat, open space -- you could make them more dynamic with walls & obstacles, halls & turns, ramps & mutiple floors, and other geometry to break up the space in interesting ways.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

What EvilGrins and fudgonaut said, can check the forum rules here: house-rules

on to some feedback
-LavaRun's download link doesn't work, so couldn't try it...
-LavaDome I like the idea and textures, could use the team logos somewhere, maybe an extra weapon or 2, and PlayerStart adjustment, as most point to the lava >:( probably my favourite of the 3 though.
-Divide and Jumper (could remove the spaces, older UT versions hate spaces in names) Feels a bit rushed through and overscaled, but nice terrain and details with the spread tiles, could use more work.
-SkyWire what Fudgonaut said + lighting is not rebuilt so some things are just pitch black.
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

Hey, come on all!!! Let's make Xalian feel welcome here!!! :D
Also...nice screenshots!!! Let's see if tonight I try some of those maps. :tu:
And also...most here know that Sektor has a "harsh" way of saying things, but he is friendlier and more helpful than you would think. You will notice after a while here, really, so do not be put off by his criticism.
Xalian71
Novice

Post by Xalian71 »

Thanks so much you guys for taking the time to check out my little creations, and for your comments and suggestions.

I wasn't really going for too much detail, or to make them particularly interesting when I made them because as I mentioned I was experimenting with the editor and created these maps only to play with the Bots. It was the 90's and the internet hadn't yet blossomed to its fully glory so connections were slow and expensive.

However, like you guys, I do like cleverly thought-out maps with interesting layouts and dazzling textures and decorations, so now that I'm in "the future" with the internet and online gaming I'll certainly give the UT editor another go when time affords, giving it all I've got, rather than making simple maps that just pass the time with the Bots.

And oh yeah, God, what a rookie mistake to have a broken link! I'm really not the luddite I appear to be although it seems like I am.

I've fixed the LavaRun link so it's downloadable now.

Thanks for your kind words, TankBeef. I'm sure you're right about sektor. At first I hadn't realized that he was actually the one who started that topic, so no wonder he was pissed off when the likes of me stumbled in, not knowing what I was doing, and posted my WAY inferior maps in his room that demanded the best of the best. Big mistake on my part.

Still, there's never a need to be insulting, ill-mannered or aggressive, especially to people you've never met. Decency goes a long way.

It did sting a little when he was basically using my maps as the reason the thread should finally be locked by the admins - like they were THAT bad that after all the mediocre ones he'd seen, my utter abominations were the last straw - it couldn't get any worse and he'd finally had enough. I mean I know they're not great but they did take hours of my time to think out and create, all the while learning the editor, so there was some effort that went into them. They weren't just blank-textured empty boxes full of odd shapes with no theme or purpose at all.

Anyway, thanks again guys. I REALLY appreciate your feedback and for welcoming me to UT99.org.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

It's all good.
Sektor don't communicate properly , cuz he lives in some country that is hard to translate his thoughts into english, more or less.

Otherwise he is ,,dumb as a rock,, :P

Sektor , as like me , ut maps through our brain and then comment.
Binary Space Partitioning