Cannot install UMOD files due to a strange problem.

Discussions about UT99
Kerr Avon
Novice

Cannot install UMOD files due to a strange problem.

Post by Kerr Avon »

I am using Unreal Tournament v4.36, with Windows 10, and until today everything has been fine. But today I went to install a map pack (the Immaculatemappack, fromhttps://unrealarchive.org/mappacks/unre ... 8d892.html), by double clicking on it's .UMOD file, and now whenever I double-click on ANY .UMOD file, I get the message:

"You are about to install The Immaculate Map Pack on your computer.

Click "Next" to begin Setup, or click "Cancel" at any time to exit.

The information in the box below contains Web links you can click on to obtain more information
."

Even whenI have clicked on a different .UMOD than the Immaculatemappack one. For example, if I start the PDark_v300b (Perfect Dark for UT) umod file. Then when I press NEXT twice, I get the message:

"The Immaculate Map Pack requires UnrealTournament to be installed in the folder first. Please locate the existing folder for UnrealTournament, or exit and install it now.

You can click on the web link below for product information
.", even though the path to Unreal Tournament that the program displays is the correct one.

It always says "The Immaculate Map" instead of the correct name for the UMOD file I have started. I have tried the reg fix utility, but it hasn't solved the problem.

And, according to Nirsoft's FileTypesMan, Windows is set up to call:

"E:\Wingames\UnrealTournament\System\Setup.exe" install "%1"

when a .UMOD file is started, so the fault doesn't lie there, as that is where my UT installation is located.

I know I could probably use a third party UMOD utility to install the mods, but I'd rather get this problem fixed and be able to just double-click on UMOD files to install them as normal, if possible.
Aspide
Skilled

Re: Cannot install UMOD files due to a strange problem.

Post by Aspide »

I don't know how to solve the problem but if everything fails you should download UMODExtractor, it allows you to extract every file from a UMOD file so you can install them manually, it's like a last resort :wink:
Somewhere in Nevada...
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Have a look at Manifest.ini and Manifest.int in your System folder and if they refer to The Immaculate Map Pack either move them out of System or delete them. It may be something to do with this, though the Manifest.ini and .int for that map pack look OK.

I no longer install .umods automatically but use a tool to unpack them and then move the files - that way, I can decide what I want and where I want it.
Kerr Avon
Novice

Post by Kerr Avon »

Yes, in the

E:\Wingames\UnrealTournament\System

folder, there are a Manifest.ini and a Manifest.int file.

The Manifest.ini file contains:

[Setup]
Product=The Immaculate Map Pack
Version=100
Archive=Immaculate.umod
SrcPath=.
MasterPath=..
Requires=UnrealTournamentRequirement
Group=SetupGroup
Group=mapsGroup
Group=texturesGroup
Group=systemGroup
Group=textGroup
Group=umodIncludeFilesGroup

[UnrealTournamentRequirement]
Product=UnrealTournament
Version=

[SetupGroup]
Copy=(Src=System\Manifest.ini,Master=System\Manifest.ini,Size=1259,Flags=3)
Copy=(Src=System\Manifest.int,Master=System\Manifest.int,Size=576,Flags=3)

[mapsGroup]
File=(Src=Maps\DOM-[Sangrel.unr,Size=2079158)
File=(Src=Maps\CTF-[MekongIII.unr,Size=2068956)
File=(Src=Maps\DM-[Columnus.unr,Size=1869002)
File=(Src=Maps\DM-[CyberWar.unr,Size=1677599)
File=(Src=Maps\DM-[Tournament1.unr,Size=658868)
File=(Src=Maps\DM-[Tournament2.unr,Size=905911)
File=(Src=Maps\DM-[Tragedy.unr,Size=2414098)
File=(Src=Maps\DOM-[Cartridge.unr,Size=1885002)
File=(Src=Maps\DOM-[Flibbertigibet.unr,Size=794103)
File=(Src=Maps\DOM-[GrievousVaultXL.unr,Size=2151403)
File=(Src=Maps\DOM-[Kilast][.unr,Size=1032359)
File=(Src=Maps\CTF-[Mane.unr,Size=1467505)
File=(Src=Maps\DM-[Norova.unr,Size=995727)

[texturesGroup]
File=(Src=Textures\Fissiond.utx,Size=88950)
File=(Src=Textures\fission.utx,Size=200861)
File=(Src=Textures\Hanh-Tragedy.utx,Size=224012)

[systemGroup]
File=(Src=System\Immaculate.u,Size=321941)
File=(Src=System\Immaculate.int,Size=99)
File=(Src=System\sparkgen.u,Size=6669)

[textGroup]
File=(Src="Maps\Immaculate-map pack.txt",Size=6968)

[umodIncludeFilesGroup]
File=(Src=Help\Immaculate.bmp,Size=29286)

and the Manifest.int file contains:

[Setup]
LocalProduct=The Immaculate Map Pack
ReadMe=Maps\Immaculate-map pack.txt
SetupWindowTitle=The Immaculate Map Pack
AutoplayWindowTitle=The Immaculate Map Pack Options
ProductURL=http://www.unreality.org/utmp
VersionURL=http://www.unreality.org/utmp
Developer=The IMP Staff
DeveloperURL=http://www.unreality.org/utmp
Logo=Help\Immaculate.bmp

[UnrealTournamentRequirement]
LocalProduct=UnrealTournament
ProductURL=http://www.unrealtournament.com/
VersionURL=http://unreal.epicgames.com/
Developer=Epic Games, Inc.
DeveloperURL=http://www.epicgames.com/

Automatically merged

I deleted the two files you mentioned, and then when I tried to install a .UMOD file, the correct mod was named in the UT installation box, but when I clicked NEXT to install it, I got the same ""The Immaculate Map Pack requires UnrealTournament to be installed in the folder first. Please locate the existing folder for UnrealTournament, or exit and install it now" message.

So I copied the Manifest.ini file from a new, clean, install of UT to the E:\Wingames\UnrealTournament\System folder (it didn't contain a Manifest.int file, so I just ignored that), and now everything seems fine, I have installed several .UMOD files with no problems. So, many thanks for your help, I wouldn't have though to delete the two manifest files (especially since I didn't even know they existed or what they do) and the amazing speed with which you responded.

And thanks Aspide, for your advice about using UMODExtractor. What advantages do such programs have over just using UT's inbuilt method of installing .UMOD files? I've not kept up with the UT scene for a long time, so I'm unfamiliar with the benefits of such a program.
Aspide
Skilled

Post by Aspide »

UMOD files automatically install files in you UT game, which is a good thing since it's fast and easy to do, however there's one problem: if the UMOD has a file that you already have, it will overwrite it without telling you which could cause you a lot of trouble especially with files that are different but have the same name, that's why I never let UMOD install the files and instead I use UMODExtractor so I can be perfectly sure of what I'm installing.
Somewhere in Nevada...
Kerr Avon
Novice

Post by Kerr Avon »

Aspide wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:19 pm UMOD files automatically install files in you UT game, which is a good thing since it's fast and easy to do, however there's one problem: if the UMOD has a file that you already have, it will overwrite it without telling you which could cause you a lot of trouble especially with files that are different but have the same name, that's why I never let UMOD install the files and instead I use UMODExtractor so I can be perfectly sure of what I'm installing.
I see, thanks for the warning. I will give UMODExtractor a go.

I take it then that no UMOD ever changes settings (in UT or in the Windows registry) when you double click on the UMOD, so that just copying the files across from a UMOD via UMODExtractor gives the exact same results as installing the UMOD directly (providing the user doesn't tell UMODExtractor to not copy a given file(s)), in that file copying is all that is involved either way?
Aspide
Skilled

Post by Aspide »

UMODExtractor never changes your setting or anything like that, all it does is grab all the files inside a UMOD file and puts them in a different folder, then you have to manually install those files into your UT game, basically you are doing the installation process manually, it's much safer since you have complete control over what files you install and the ones you don't.
Somewhere in Nevada...
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

There is also the 7zip plugin ...which works also like UmodExtractor.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Few things.

1. When you extract UMod manually, you need skip Manifest.ini and Manifest.int and not extract them (which is cause of you original problem - it be extracted).

2. UMod before v469 contain bug which can break your ServerPackages entries, which matter only if you start network server from your UT install, but anyway it is not good.
https://github.com/OldUnreal/UnrealTour ... issues/414

3. UMod require proper registry path (at least before v469c) or you need select path manually.

So if you want use umod anyway, better firstly upgrade to latest v469.
But as mention above it can overwrite files and you can find that too late. Same can be with settings, which is more rare thing, if be honest.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

There are simple tasks out of any update (not even to 451b). First of all what is being changed/added into a folder has a time-stamp. Before extracting anything a backup of INI files is doable any time. If something is going wrong you can see which files were recently changed/attached and put "original" back from backup, either way delete "new comers" (I don't recall that I needed any "Manifest" file created/adjusted) - these are called "Computer Operating" things. Backup folder/files, install mods, restore original if something went wrong - perhaps extracted content will be available. There are various explorer types of "File Managers" that are able to count and list Folder's content. You can compare what was added if you do a list before extracting anything into game with a list done after installing something. As another option which I'm used to do with borked mods is simply renaming "INT" files to "INTU" this way disabling mods that are allocating memory for objects that are not daily used.
As you boys might see, not all problems are solved only by 469. If the thing would never exist it's not like game would be dead :P .
Kerr Avon
Novice

Post by Kerr Avon »

Thanks for all of the help, everyone. This is a great forum, for a great game.