Which version of Unreal Tournament should I use?

Discussions about UT99
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: Which version of Unreal Tournament should I use?

Post by OjitroC »

Kerr Avon wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:56 am I have one concern, though; when I moved the files across, there was one file clash, 7 Bullets contains a file called 'utmenu23.umx', which already existed in the
UnrealTournament\Music\ folder, and one file was larger than the other, so they obviously weren't identical. I did allow the new file (from 7 Bullets) to overwrite the old file (though I've kept a copy of the old file, just in case), and everything seems OK, but should I revert back to the original utmenu23.umx file in case there are problems, later, do you think?
Yes, it's a good idea to keep duplicate files just in case they may be needed at some point in the future. Personally, in this case I would use the UT original utmenu23.umx and archive the 7 Bullets version.

I think that 'UT' just looks for the name of the music file rather than at the size of the file or the contents - this is true in most cases and I have, a number of times now, renamed Blank.umx to the name of a music file that I don't have in order to play a map that requires that particular music (I don't play the music anyway and using Blank.umx can save some disc space given the size of some music files). I vaguely recall one or two instances where there may have been more than one piece of music in the .umx file and so this didn't work but those cases are rare.
Masterkent
Novice

Post by Masterkent »

Kerr Avon wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:56 amIs there any advantage to play 7 Bullets and other mods/single player campaigns on Unreal rather than Unreal Tournament
The 227j patch and ported UT packages together with bug-fixing mutators offer some notable improvements. E.g., 227j supports more realistic pawn shadows and advanced difficulty levels.

I wouldn't recommend to use Extreme+ difficulties in case of 7 Bullets, since it's hard enough on Unreal difficulty, but Operation Na Pali and Project Xenome are quite interesting to beat on Extreme difficulty. One of the key features of advanced difficulty levels in 227j is that monsters can dodge any grenades and bio projectiles that noticeably reduces the strength of such weapons as Flak Cannon and Bio Rifle in combats against Skaarj.

Some examples of what was changed in ported packages:

- Added an option (enabled by default) to scale the crosshair by screen height instead of screen width, so the crosshair doesn't become overly large when using widescreen resolutions.
- If you set centered weapon position, PulseGun (and its derived weapons like 7B Plasma Rifle) will be centered similarly to any other weapon. In UT, PulseGun is forced to be on the right side with this setting.
- PulseGun's beam emits light by every segment, not only start and end. Shock Rifle's beam also emits light. There is an option to disable the extra lighting.
- Any hitscan UT weapon may hit targets across WarpZoneInfo's portals. Such portals may be found on some maps of Operation Na Pali and Project Xenome: Interloper. In UT, hitscan weapons cannot trace fire through portals.
- Fixed the issue with losing the second Enforcer when travelling between maps (f.e., from TheOdyssey-Map01-Storm to TheOdyssey-Map02-Sacred).
- The default texture of Super Shock Rifle was changed to the orange one. In UT, Super Shock Rifle pickup looks like a normal Shock Rifle and becomes orange only when you take it.
- Fixed a glitch with ONP game stats that sometimes happens when you finish levels of Operation Na Pali and Project Xenome. If you hit an exit teleporter multiple times, this could mess up your accumulated play time and score.
- Fixed stationary weapons in the InfAdds package. Triggering them often led to glitches. Such weapons are used in Project Xenome, Xidia, and Enslaved.
- Improved code consoles (ONP/Xenome, 7 Bullets, Xidia). They use larger fonts for better readability on hi-res displays and support Backspace key for erasing recently typed digits.
- Fixed cutscene cameras, so they respect your preferred FOV settings and you don't need to adjust FOV manually back to your favourite value after a cutscene with multiple view spots ends.
Kerr Avon
Novice

Post by Kerr Avon »

OjitroC wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:33 am Yes, it's a good idea to keep duplicate files just in case they may be needed at some point in the future. Personally, in this case I would use the UT original utmenu23.umx and archive the 7 Bullets version.
I've just restored the original utmenu23.umx file, as you suggested, and everything seems fine, thanks.

I think that 'UT' just looks for the name of the music file rather than at the size of the file or the contents - this is true in most cases and I have, a number of times now, renamed Blank.umx to the name of a music file that I don't have in order to play a map that requires that particular music (I don't play the music anyway and using Blank.umx can save some disc space given the size of some music files). I vaguely recall one or two instances where there may have been more than one piece of music in the .umx file and so this didn't work but those cases are rare.
I'll bear that in mind when dealing with UT files in future, thanks.

Masterkent wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:06 pm
Kerr Avon wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:56 amIs there any advantage to play 7 Bullets and other mods/single player campaigns on Unreal rather than Unreal Tournament
The 227j patch and ported UT packages together with bug-fixing mutators offer some notable improvements. E.g., 227j supports more realistic pawn shadows and advanced difficulty levels.

I wouldn't recommend to use Extreme+ difficulties in case of 7 Bullets, since it's hard enough on Unreal difficulty, but Operation Na Pali and Project Xenome are quite interesting to beat on Extreme difficulty. One of the key features of advanced difficulty levels in 227j is that monsters can dodge any grenades and bio projectiles that noticeably reduces the strength of such weapons as Flak Cannon and Bio Rifle in combats against Skaarj.

Some examples of what was changed in ported packages:
That sounds brilliant, I will install it to my Unreal installation, thanks - and don't worry about my playing on higher difficulties, that would never happen! :oops:

It's great the way hardcore fans of games keep them alive with new or improved features, compatibility with the latest hardware and operating systems, and even new gaming content. To me, that'd probably the best thing about PC gaming. I love console games too, of course, but other than some rare game-modding, or occasional (and mostly very simplistic) homebrew, community developed content and bug-fixing/improving gameplay is almost noin-existent on consoles, sadly.