Epic has ended Master Server Support for all Unreal Tournament Titles - How to play Online

Discussions about everything else
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Re: Epic is turning off Master servers for UT99 & UT2k4; UTX Announced - What To Do?

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

It has one but not as separate executable, the old "editor" mode is invoked except its fully functional and not just a viewport/commands you need to issue like in the old times (alpha/beta unreal stuff and partially the initial release versions).

The problem with the old -editor mode was that it didn't invoke the whole interface of unrealed so you just had a viewport and a log to play in with...
at least once they got rid of the visual basic dependancy they slowly realized they can make add that functionality back, even if it was by the time of UE3 started taking shape(around 2004 at first).
Shadow
Masterful
Personal rank: Mad Carpenter

Re: Epic is turning off Master servers for UT99 & UT2k4; UTX Announced - What To Do?

Post by Shadow »

What a bunch of capitalistic hypocrites. What a major big epic (lol) ass move to make these games even completely unavailable on every platform. Shutting down the master servers is a huge dick move alone, but abandoning their legacy in this way? They're the worst. I'm really really shocked. I only had the master server issue on my radar, but its even unavailable on GOG now. This is like a nightmare.

And why keeping UT3 alive in the near future. Why specifially THIS sole title?
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Shadow wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:44 pm And why keeping UT3 alive in the near future. Why specifially THIS sole title?
I highlighted already some possible logical reasons in my previous posts (which are my own guesses in the matter), but there's also more information now that seems to prove at least some of them (sort of, not completely):

It seems that they were already planning and working on UT3X since 2021, so it might already have most of the necessary work done, and the FTC settlement has simply pushed them to prioritize it now for an actual release, given that what they intended to do with UT3X already strongly aligned with what the FTC wanted them to do in the first place.

Either way, it makes absolute sense why they would target this one title, even from 2021:
  • it's their latest complete game in the whole franchise;
  • runs in Unreal Engine 3 (the closest to UE4 and beyond), meaning that it requires the least amount of work and is easier to maintain;
  • they have in fact maintained UT3 over the years internally, given they have reused it a lot for UT4 and its assets for tech demos (mainly the weapons and characters);
  • even if it was a flop on release, it may be a hit 16 years later with a whole new generation of people that didn't have the opportunity to try out UT at all (none of the games), especially going free, since the game is just a bad UT sequel, not a bad game in itself, and graphically it is vastly superior to any other of the previous games (even if it's cluttered with useless detail and rather monochromatic in comparison).
So it's a good platform for them to try out new stuff like the new friends system they were planning, matchmaking, etc, without having to create a whole new game for it and without using a new game from a studio they partner with (which would be slower to integrate, and it could fail should the studio prove to not be competent enough).

It's also a good way to test the franchise as a whole: whether arena games are worth investing into or not, and the UT franchise specifically.

Therefore, from a business and gaming perspective, it makes complete sense for them to use UT3, and while the community may be overall incredulous and confused on why would UT3 be chosen, it seems most will actually try it out once it releases, furthering my points above.

I would personally prefer if they also released the other UT games for free, of course (we all would), but doing so would likely require them to spend time with them (update them to be in conformity with the FTC settlement) and would likely compete against UT3X and confuse most players that never played any of them, as there were plenty of games in the past that failed because of this, with EA being specially guilty of doing dumb shit like that, namely by releasing Titanfall and Battlefield at the same time, so TItanfall wasn't as successful as a direct result, despite being one of the best shooters ever released.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Found this, from another UT fan. Worth a watch.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Shrimp
Adept

Post by Shrimp »

Should remove the "Buy UT99 on GOG" link now :sad2:
ShrimpWorks
Unreal Archive - preserving over 25 years of user-created content for the Unreal series!
Diablo
Experienced
Personal rank: world's worst mapper

Post by Diablo »

Shrimp wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:19 pm Should remove the "Buy UT99 on GOG" link now :sad2:
Suggest in in the Suggestions, Criticism, Feedback section.
"I am the Alpha and the Omega." -Xan Kriegor, 2341.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Shrimp wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:19 pm Should remove the "Buy UT99 on GOG" link now :sad2:
Link got deleted :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
rjmno1
Masterful
Personal rank: masterfull
Location: https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home

Post by rjmno1 »

Now they are settings and cutting evrything of.Now rizes the question if there will be a other unreal tournament in the near future?
Lets hope they planned something big.epic games!!!!!!imho ut99 is te popular to shut down.those other games also.
unreal tournament 99
®
ImageImage
https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home mine home ut99 website.
https://richardmoust105.blogspot.com/20 ... ef-in.html dutch blog page about ut99 settings.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Added:

Code: Select all

ServerActors=IpServer.UdpServerUplink MasterServerAddress=master2.qtracker.com MasterServerPort=27900
in instruction: viewtopic.php?p=139905#p139905
Shrimp
Adept

Post by Shrimp »

Whelp, today's the last day.
ShrimpWorks
Unreal Archive - preserving over 25 years of user-created content for the Unreal series!
Letylove49
Adept

Post by Letylove49 »

this 4 server are down ?

Code: Select all

ScriptLog: UBrowserGSpyLink[master.hlkclan.net:28900]: Couldn't connect to master server.
ScriptLog: UBrowserGSpyLink[master.gonespy.com:28900]: Couldn't connect to master server.
ScriptLog: UBrowserGSpyLink[master.qtracker.com:28900]: Couldn't connect to master server.
ScriptLog: UBrowserGSpyLink[master.telefragged.com:28900]: Couldn't connect to master server.

Letylove49 aka Alicia
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

I will keep them since they turn on with time .Such already happen in past.
gonespy is part of 333network. Possible return one day. http://master.gonespy.com/
qtracker.com - only collect servwer from show via qtracker browser, not serve for client in-game browser.
telefragged and hlkclan possible gone.
Auto merged new post submitted 20 minutes later

Epic Games has started shutting down online services for Unreal Tournament as of 2023-01-24 15:06:46.306 (UTC+1).
According to this reddit post:
Spoiler
Letylove49
Adept

Post by Letylove49 »

Buggie wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:04 pm I will keep them since they turn on with time .Such already happen in past.
gonespy is part of 333network. Possible return one day. http://master.gonespy.com/
qtracker.com - only collect servwer from show via qtracker browser, not serve for client in-game browser.
telefragged and hlkclan possible gone.
Auto merged new post submitted 20 minutes later

Epic Games has started shutting down online services for Unreal Tournament as of 2023-01-24 15:06:46.306 (UTC+1).
According to this reddit post:
Spoiler
why they have no dot that at midnight ?

Letylove49 aka Alicia
Que
Inhuman
Personal rank: ...

Post by Que »

for XBrowser theres a menu where you manually input MasterServers.

*Join our Discord Here.*
Our mods - MVX , SSB , SmartWFL , UTCmds , BotCommands , Smart Stats , join/leave announcer , NoSmoke , UTLogin , BrightSkins , Server Tran…
*Our Servers
Diego_HoF
Experienced
Personal rank: HoF Admin

Post by Diego_HoF »

Since we can´t buy UT99 from Steam and GOG anymore(since december 24th), it looks like it should be consider abandonware now...
It is sad that Epic Games is abandoning their old games just to have more money (I blame Fornite for this but I may be wrong, still I blame that game for killing all UT)

Now, the only way to have updates and new stuff is by the fans only and good will. But how we get new players to join if no one can buy it anymore...
It is a shame.....