Replacing textures with references

Discussions about UT99
Komind

Replacing textures with references

Post by Komind »

Hello everyone, I have Unreal Gold + 227 patch and I wanted to try to replace some textures, such as Bg11 from UMenu package, if I import a texture with the same name it is replaced but it looks like the color palette was left from the original texture, how to fix it?
If I add a new texture to the package it will have normal colors.
If I try to remove the Bg11 texture from the package then UnrealEd will give the error "This texture is still referenced" how to replace the texture so that it has a normal colors without breaking the references?
Last edited by Komind on Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barbie
Godlike

Re: Replacing textures with references

Post by Barbie »

If I understand your problem correctly, the following may help: choose UnrealEd > Tools > Replace Textures. Then replace the texture in question with another one that is NOT used in the map. If you save and close the map, the references to the texture in question are removed. Then you can again replace that unique with the one you want to have.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Komind

Re: Replacing textures with references

Post by Komind »

Barbie wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:30 pm If I understand your problem correctly, the following may help: choose UnrealEd > Tools > Replace Textures. Then replace the texture in question with another one that is NOT used in the map. If you save and close the map, the references to the texture in question are removed. Then you can again replace that unique with the one you want to have.
Bg11 texture is not used on the map it is used in the main menu of the game (part of the background image of the main menu) this texture is referenced in the code. Anyway, thanks for the reply

Automatically merged

The problem with the colors was because I converted png to bmp using imagemagick but now I have created a texture with gimp and it is perfectly imported into UnrealED

To make this forum thread at least of some value, I will briefly describe what I did to replace the texture in the UMenu.u package
1) Open UMenu.u in UnrealEd
2) Import a texture with the same name as the texture you want to replace.
3) Save texture package as UMenu.utx
4) Close UnrealEd
5) Rename UMenu.utx to UMenu.u
6) Replace original UMenu.u with the new one