Umake v1.2.X

External tools, software and sites for creating or editing UT99 resources.
Buggie
Godlike

Re: Umake v1.2.2

Post by Buggie »

It must still able compile in Delphi 7 after changes.
The_Cowboy
Skilled
Personal rank: Codezilla

Post by The_Cowboy »

Just an idea from the top of my genius

"How about abstracting away the compiler part from the engine". Voila you have something like borland unrealscript!
Feralidragon wrote:Trial and error is sometimes better than any tutorial, because we learn how it works for ourselfs, which kills any doubts about anything :tu:
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/FreeandOpen
b1t5murf
Novice

Post by b1t5murf »

Buggie wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:14 am It must still able compile in Delphi 7 after changes.
May I ask why?

Delphi 7 is a +20 year old compiler and IDE, a lot have happened since then, both with the language and RTL/VCL especially given there's a free community edition available of a much more recent Delphi version.

Automatically merged

The_Cowboy wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:21 am Just an idea from the top of my genius

"How about abstracting away the compiler part from the engine". Voila you have something like borland unrealscript!
I'm not sure I follow entirely? :)
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

My experience with modern delphi end badly. so I prefer to stick to worked solutions.

It is not possible?
b1t5murf
Novice

Post by b1t5murf »

Buggie wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:01 pm My experience with modern delphi end badly. so I prefer to stick to worked solutions.

It is not possible?
I'm keen to hear what made it a bad experience?

From my POV - and given I work with the latest Delphi versions (New products and migrations of older products too), the benefits of using a modern version of Delphi and the VCL/RTL/FMX reduces the maintenance load significantly.
For instance, I already upgraded the DNF version of UMake to compile with Delphi 11 and in the same time shrunk the code base around 15% by using readily available built in RTL functionality rather than maintaining an implementation yourself.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

It be very long time ago. Possible now it better. But I even now I use Delphi 7. Except crappy code editor it work ok for my small tasks.

Possible need make fork, and left Delphi 7 version alone. In new fork make all for some new version if it so good.
b1t5murf
Novice

Post by b1t5murf »

Buggie wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:12 pm It be very long time ago. Possible now it better. But I even now I use Delphi 7. Except crappy code editor it work ok for my small tasks.

Possible need make fork, and left Delphi 7 version alone. In new fork make all for some new version if it so good.
There has been unstable releases in between, however the 10 series, and now 11 series have been rock solid, including many improvements to the code editor and code completion.
Dealing with unicode is also easier. I saw a different forum post here with someone who had problems handling UTF-16. This problem will also go away once the application is upgraded to a recent Delphi version.

I've forked the project already and will upgrade the project there :)
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

In fact it must support UTF-8 and UTF-16, distinguish them by BOM.

For test enough use in name non-ASCII chars I think. It out into log and this can be saved as UTF-16.
b1t5murf
Novice

Post by b1t5murf »

Buggie wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:36 pm In fact it must support UTF-8 and UTF-16, distinguish them by BOM.

For test enough use in name non-ASCII chars I think. It out into log and this can be saved as UTF-16.
Excellent, thank you! :)
Buggie
Godlike

Re: Umake v1.2.X

Post by Buggie »

v1.2.3

* Support Unicode input (work with v469)
* Improved form size.
* Improve resize main compile window.

Update in first post: viewtopic.php?t=14044